Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-29/greek-concerns-darwin-community/6579962

taking an agnostic position here, but there has been an increase in greeks wanting to exit and come to Oz (largest greek diaspora in the world is in Oz)

bearing in mind the issue that family sponsorship is a tenuous link depending on the govt of the day - and bearing in mind the current attitude to economic refugees etc... whats the bets on how the'll be treated if seeking emigration? (most will fail the "paid citizenship" reqs as well as the poor buggers seem to be destitute etc....)

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
Probably, LJ has a thread going on this. I say if we need immigrants lets take them, they did a great job of oz on the last mass exodus after WWII.

Where would we have been as kids with out the fat greek bloke at the corner shop giving us free lollies every now and them.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah, missed the thread, so Mods feel free to prune, graft/merge

my best mates as a kid were the 2 fat greek kids who lived next door. their dad owned a fish and chip shop. surname was kontos, so they had an obvious nickname :)

·
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
ah, missed the thread, so Mods feel free to prune, graft/merge

my best mates as a kid were the 2 fat greek kids who lived next door. their dad owned a fish and chip shop. surname was kontos, so they had an obvious nickname :)
lol, my local fish and chip man was a greek as well.

Nick the Greek.

We did not need a nickname obviously lol.

He used to pay me 50c to peel a bag of spuds and a Saturday morning, and I would do 4 to keep him going over the weekend, a wheat bag that is. Lotta spuds.

Two whole bucks was a fortune back them. :)

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
There was a Greek who ran the local fish and chip shop when I was a kid, his name was also Nick, a nice bloke.

He used to say: 'I am not a Greek, I am a Cypriot.' I guess it mattered to him.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
must be in their blood, i used to peel spuds as well. negotiated pay of 1 shilling first bag or 6p and free chips, or a piece of whiting for mum. a florin for every 2 bags after the first one.

i remember buying a decent sized pie for a shilling.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
There was a Greek who ran the local fish and chip shop when I was a kid, his name was also Nick, a nice bloke.

That is because there is quite a difference. Have a google of the history there.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
My brothers wife is greek and they owned the fish and chip shop in Ballarat for the last 40 years.

What most people don't realize is there is about 120,000 Australian citizens who are currently living in Greece. They can come home whenever they like so expect it to happen when buying food to feed the kids becomes a problem.

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
3,003 Posts
Im worried about the impact to the broader EU on the defaults and in turn what that will do to AUS with our crazy export deficits and the EU being a big supplier for our country

·
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts

lol, but probably only as much as the English and Scots who say the same thing. :p

·
Registered
64 Posts
One could only hope some return here and buy back the fish and chip shops, IMO Asians don't possess whatever it is to make a delicious feed.

·
Registered
nissan
2,015 Posts
Forget your little blue pills today LMK?, you are losing your grip on reality again. It's hardly racist if someone expresses an opinion that Greeks do better fish 'n' chips than Asians

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
its definition. thats language people.... its there to separate everything from everything else...

If Greeks make better fish and chips go there instead of the Asians. go to the Asians when you want honey chicken drumsticks.... im over people being classed as racist if they notice somebody is better at something than somebody else.

Most races have a niche where they are better than everyone else at something.... thats culture. why is it a crime to notice?

as you were.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts