Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. There is a grinding noise coming from the rear of my SWB... i have have checked and replaced the pads, bearings are good and everything seems tight. It only makes the noise when you hit a bit of a bump. When you come to a complete stop, then take off it stops but it will come back when you hit another bump. Any help any one can give me would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
73 Posts
unhook whats left of your trailer :p

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i thought it may have been something to do with the backing plate but they are tight and were they should be. i greased up the uni's and slip joint and made no difference and the control arm bushes look good. It did start when i had a half dead trailer on the back :)

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Could be tailshaft uni's. Sounds like the right symptoms. Get your tailshaft rebuilt. Hitting bumps changes the driveline angles, as does braking, accelerating, corning etc etc.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Agree above....grease ya tail shaft unis and slip joint......then see how you go...unless ya disc pads are stuffed or you have a rock caught in the brakes (like mine had...made a mess of the disc). The wheel bearing rarely go (luckily because they cost heaps to replace (mine cost over $200 each just for the bearing...then ya need the big press to get them off and on)).

DER read Billy.....if not brakes as Marin said....you could also try reversing the tailshaft too....do you have a "lift" on it? I had a lift on my old shorty and it used to do it occasionally...usually the grease fixed it. Also check the rear suspension bushes...sounds like your axle might be "rotating" with the stopping and acceleration torque....just enough to jigger the unis...they do have limited degree of flex..

·
Registered
nissan gu
1,195 Posts
did you un-hitch that last toyota recovery?

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
1,610 Posts
I dont think its brake related as it would occur most of the time.
Im still betting on the tail shaft and when it occurs it would be at the time id expect

1 - 10 of 10 Posts