Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

581 - 600 of 622 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
64 Posts
I would rather buy one that has all the research and development done rather than do the testing myself. You seem to make a point about GTurbo not being developed properly, so what turbo would best suit my vehicle, (with the list of mods above) that will need the least amount of modifications? Surely there must be at least one supplier that has something close to what I want out of the box?
This is the reason why no one really talks about this. As the options are slim to none, so all you can do is wait. The difference in results from developed race turbos from companies like garrett and borgwarner, is night and day. It really is that much. But these are turbos you can't buy, and rarely even see. The turbos they release are just generic sizes and styles. Its up to the consumer to decide what works and if its up to their standards, although borgwarner seems miles in front in this regard. But again still generic. I don't have any problem with UFI or P4x4 etc, but you simply can't compare. Gturbo in my opinion is the worse of all, yet talks the most hype.

·
Registered
nissan
2,014 Posts
As the options are slim to none, so all you can do is wait..
Wait for what?

Is somebody designing a replacement turbo for the TD42 that is going to be better than everything else available?

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
64 Posts
People say there is, and I really hope they do. But I will believe it when I see it. I doubt whether the companies have the correct machinery to even test, or the knowledge (so happy to be proven wrong though). Oldmav has done a great job trying to educate and change this from what I've seen.

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,282 Posts
Wait for what?

Is somebody designing a replacement turbo for the TD42 that is going to be better than everything else available?
Lee drops a bit of a hint in his build thread maybe?
“Bigger turbo wouldn’t hurt”, he says.

“Scratch that”, I says, hopefully a new option will be available sooner rather than later :)

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Just about any turbo you buy, you will have to test and modify until its right for your engine.
Trouble is most people don't have either the knowledge nor the equipment to be modifying turbos correctly so the only viable option is to buy the one that is closest to your requirements based on the development done by the company making/selling them. Or recommendations from others that do have the knowledge. Best most of us can do is modify some of the supporting componentry. :confused:

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Wait for what?
Lee drops a bit of a hint in his build thread maybe?
Quote:
“Bigger turbo wouldn’t hurt”, he says.

“Scratch that”, I says, hopefully a new option will be available sooner rather than later
Ross has said a few times too that something is in the wind. I recall something along those lines being mentioned a while ago but I might be barking up the wrong tree. Either way hearing this mentioned a couple of times has me hanging out to see what comes up.

Reactions: warthog

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
64 Posts
Best most of us can do is modify some of the supporting componentry. :confused:
I realise this, although people don't yet know how bad it really is. The supporting components just can't compensate. If your using a boost controller - your already behind. But this isn't relevant to this thread discussion. And "may" be covered some time in the future.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I realise this, although people don't yet know how bad it really is. The supporting components just can't compensate. If your using a boost controller - your already behind. But this isn't relevant to this thread discussion. And "may" be covered some time in the future.
I was focusing more on the limitations we have in relation to self testing and modifying the turbo in response to your comment. The average punter (forum member) has to rely on the advise and testing of the "experts". The ability of us to test and modify turbos is virtually non existent, except of course some boost control, which in your words already puts us behind.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Can a change in wastegate actuator setup help this mechanical stop thing like changing it out for a turbosmart iwg75
Put in stiff spring arrangement and have more actuator travel
More so asking for a mate cos 30+ psi on a stock 11mm with not much fuelling doesn't seem right to me and not necessary
Try bring down the emp ratios?

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
778 Posts
Can a change in wastegate actuator setup help this mechanical stop thing like changing it out for a turbosmart iwg75
Put in stiff spring arrangement and have more actuator travel
More so asking for a mate cos 30+ psi on a stock 11mm with not much fuelling doesn't seem right to me and not necessary
Try bring down the emp ratios?
A temporary fix I did on my Gturbo was to wind out the actuator rod about 8 full turns to get more flap travel. The gate flap was barely seated in the closed position with next to no tension holding it there but guess what.... It drove so much better and pulled harder with about 10psi less boost. It become quite clear to me then the effects EMP has on performance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not expert but could also be you've gained top end but lost some down low possibly
I'm in the tuning process of setting up my lil garrett playing with preload alot as my boost controller only increases boost above 2.2krpm
Since I've been adding preload I've gained more boost response below 2000rpm guess it's trying to hold back emp enough but then getting a balance in the top end depending on fuel and boost

I'm guessing it's safer to run a bit richer Afrs than have the higher emp something like that

·
Registered
nissan
11,049 Posts
Ross has said a few times too that something is in the wind. I recall something along those lines being mentioned a while ago but I might be barking up the wrong tree. Either way hearing this mentioned a couple of times has me hanging out to see what comes up.
ross has indicated that there is a zd30 turbo in the final stages of development almost ready for vehicle testing. it couldnt be far away at all. ive seen them in the flesh.
that company will then be looking into a td turbo. but it wont really be a lower power mild setup. will be pretty flash and mainly for the 200rwkw setups. but hopefully with awesome drivability.
Ive seen the facilities and the tech involved and it goes over my head. without studying it to much anyway. there is a hell of a lot that goes into it thats for sure.

·
Registered
nissan
255 Posts
I was very tempted to put a gturbo grunter on mine just to try it a while back despite being told by almost everyone not to.

After calling them they made tgeir new "vortex" grunter sound like a great setup, untill I questioned the reliability stating due to working remote I can't risk a turbo failure. Was told "haven't had any failures on td42s, only a few on earlier 1vd setups that where not tuned correctly"

I've personally seen 2 so can assume that's a blantent lie, quick way to loose a sale....

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
64 Posts
I was very tempted to put a gturbo grunter on mine just to try it a while back despite being told by almost everyone not to.

After calling them they made tgeir new "vortex" grunter sound like a great setup, untill I questioned the reliability stating due to working remote I can't risk a turbo failure. Was told "haven't had any failures on td42s, only a few on earlier 1vd setups that where not tuned correctly"

I've personally seen 2 so can assume that's a blantent lie, quick way to loose a sale....
Well doesn't that sound familiar. That's the type of BS he tells everyone to get sales and to be expected to be honest. It paints a poor picture and is actually very insulting to anyone who has had or used his turbochargers only to have repeat failures. I know a diesel company in Gracemere said they are too scared to even go to the shops for a bottle of milk in any car that runs one. Not sure how much longer he can keep it up.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Bit behind the Americans I think need emp gauges as the norm or the proper word
Drive pressure gauge
I would have to disagree with drive pressure being the "proper word". At certain times not all that pressure is being used to drive the turbine, so I would stick with EMP being the correct term. But that's just the way I look at it though, I'm sure others will disagree.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Your probably right haha I probably just prefer or just like the sound of the term
And drive pressure regulator instead of wastegate as alot of setups are pushing limits of turbine flow ay?

·
Registered
86 Posts
A temporary fix I did on my Gturbo was to wind out the actuator rod about 8 full turns to get more flap travel. The gate flap was barely seated in the closed position with next to no tension holding it there but guess what.... It drove so much better and pulled harder with about 10psi less boost. It become quite clear to me then the effects EMP has on performance.
Did you lose any bottom end torque?
Where did you noticed it pull better?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Did you lose any bottom end torque?
Where did you noticed it pull better?
The only thing I lost was boost gauge movement haha. It pulled harder everywhere, especially down low. Boost came on slower but all of my timed test runs were faster in all areas. 0-100/40-80/80-120km/h etc on my test roads. Which goes to show yet again just because you can make lots of boost earlier doesn't mean it performs better on road.

581 - 600 of 622 Posts