Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a gtx2863 on a TD42ti with factory pump and 3inch exhaust? What sort of power gains did you have?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The limiting factors for this turbo on your truck will be your intake system and the anount of fuel your pump can supply. From reading lots of different posts and threads it seems that 150kw is about its limit. A standard ti pump will struggle to produce that amount of fuel.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
I have fitted them with varying levels of modifications.
On a normal setup somewhere around 120kw would be about the limit.

On a really good setup if your pump is in pristine condition, you might get up around 150kw.
Also highly depends on the exhaust housing area ratio.

Dont expect to buy an mtq kit and have any decent amount of boost below 2200rpm (in essence making them useless)
You would be better off with a 16G vs the mtq kit by a long way.

a .48 rear housing will make it come alive before 2000rpm and it will be nay untouchable between about 1600-2200rpm. It will fall away heavily if you tune it up though due to the restriction that tight rear housing creates.

If you can tell us EXACTLY what you are hoping to achieve out of your setup myself and a few others can give you some decent pointers in which way would work best.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
GQY60, I suggest you read what Diesel Tuner has to say. He is one of the great gurus on this forum :bowdown::bowdown:

·
Registered
nissan
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have fitted them with varying levels of modifications.
On a normal setup somewhere around 120kw would be about the limit.

On a really good setup if your pump is in pristine condition, you might get up around 150kw.
Also highly depends on the exhaust housing area ratio.

Dont expect to buy an mtq kit and have any decent amount of boost below 2200rpm (in essence making them useless)
You would be better off with a 16G vs the mtq kit by a long way.

a .48 rear housing will make it come alive before 2000rpm and it will be nay untouchable between about 1600-2200rpm. It will fall away heavily if you tune it up though due to the restriction that tight rear housing creates.

If you can tell us EXACTLY what you are hoping to achieve out of your setup myself and a few others can give you some decent pointers in which way would work best.

Thanks diesel tuner, ok I've purchased the 2006 ti motor with 140ks i have purchased anew gtx2863 garret a beaudesert 3inch mandrel exhaust and the intercooler will be a toss up between cross country and another thats similar. i have purchased a HPD air box lid and will be running a 4inch stainless snorkel. So with that I'm hoping to have a torquey reliable bus and was hoping around the 140rwkw. If Liam happy with that would the factory pump do or should i consider sending it to dc?

·
Registered
nissan
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just spoke to cross country and ill be going for the ultimate cooler with the front inlet plenum as its all going in my gq.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 03
25 Posts
Gday mate! I'm just starting my build for my 2003 4.2 gutdti bus. I received the cross country ultimate cooler and inlet manifold after a very very long wait! But my word it is a work of art, will take some photos of it amazing quality. Don't go hpd mate I had one on zd30 before I got my real truck and they are crap Chinese cores and pipes blow off continually so you end up having to buy different clamps etc. Not worth the ease of getting one! My ht18 is screaming now as I have been pushing it but do not have egt issues, I bought a gt2860 in a ht18 exhaust housing that I was going to put a gtx2863 in but the wastegate is only 22mm (and thats modified) where as the wastegate on the t25 0.64 housing is 30mm and considering i want to run 25psi i will be selling it. I have read threads from oldmav about talking with guys who have egt issues raising this issue and am hoping to avoid. It's going on next week so hopefully will be able to let you know. I also have a 4b Fab air box going in and porting exhaust manifold to match gaskets as per reading oldmav discussions. (Mate you are a fountain of knowledge!). I was tossing up between the Garrett and ufi td05 but I felt garret is easier to re buy and change one day and also I did not like the comments of there salesman when I called to discuss, ridiculous claims and bashing garret which we all know make great turbos. Hoping I get a great responsive truck that already has a fantastic power band with the ht18 still pulling hard at 3700 rpm with the tune I had, but lacked a little torque below 1500 but believe me she had loads more than zd30 and rd28 I have had experience with. Will keep you up to date with it when I get it tuned again to see the difference. And big thanks to Matt and oldmav for your forum notes hoping to have an awesome engine from reading your posts and trying to get the right bits to achieve this!

·
Registered
nissan patrol 03
25 Posts
Hoping to pick up truck tomorrow after its been in workshop way too long! Seen All the work that's gone on it and can't wait to comment on the difference. Another truck was in workshop getting a fatz air box and 4inch snorkel and was told it made quite a significant difference! Peeking with excitement!

·
Registered
nissan patrol 03
25 Posts
Mate I'm so grumpy, car is still no ready. Been in the shop 2weeks now. Reckons he will get it sorted tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath. Will let you know as soon as I get it!

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Thats a real bummer mate, im looking forward to reading your feedback.

I feel sorry for you being on the receiving end of a long wait, but being in the workshops position many times I also know sometimes its totally unavoidable unfortunately.

Hopefully the result is worth the wait is all I can say!

·
Registered
nissan patrol 03
25 Posts
Well guys I just pick it up and car drives awesome! I have to admit I was looking for more, but it has not been tuned and turbo will not go above 15psi and that's with turbo smart fully wound out. Turbo must be that efficient because power feels better and torque down below 1500rpm is great even with turbo hardly on boost. It's not hitting full boost till about 2100rpm so not much different to my ht18 which was hitting 18. Egt on the other hand tells the full story as I can't get it above 280 degrees. It goes up hills with ease where I would normally have to put foot down and I was flooring it to try and get more boost or Egt and would not do either apart from accelerate over the speed limit on motorway. So looking forward to getting the beast tuned and really feeling what this turbo can do!

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Sounds like the boost controller is installed wrong way around.
Follow the arrows on it make sure wastegate side goes to the wastegate. Also make sure the spigots havent been swapped around.
You want the one with the smaller hole as the entry and the large hole going to the gate.

Should liven up alot once its tuned.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 03
25 Posts
Thanks DT I will check the turbo smart in the morning. What do you mean by spigots around the wrong way?

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
If you look at the controler the two spigots (one on each side) are threaded into the main body.
Ive never tried it but I assume you could swap them two side for side making the signage on the body of the controler useless.

You will see when you look at it. Just remember small hole to turbo, large hole to wastegate.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 03
25 Posts
Hi DT i worked out what you mean an I'm sure he mentioned swapping the spigots in the boost controller so I'm betting that's the reason!

·
Registered
nissan patrol 03
25 Posts
Hi DT the small end is plumbed into the inlet manifold and the large side marked waste gate is plumbed into waste gate so confused as to why it won't go over 1st unless it is fuel related

1 - 20 of 33 Posts