Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chasing an oil leak in the GU 2.8. Previously I thought the leak was the sump gasket/stripped threads on three of the bolts at the front of the sump. So I fixed the threads, and stuck some silicon next to the gasket. No joy.

Today I removed the radiator/flywheel/timing belt covers and had another look, expecting to see oil on the timing belt etc with an associated front crank seal. It got dark, so I didn't get to the front crank seal. That's tomorrow.

In the meantime I was thinking, and the oil seemed to pool on the head of some of the bolts. I know gravity and the fact it is the lowest point means the oil will be there.

Could the oil be leaking out the special (but 15 years old nevertheless) bolts/washers on the sump?

·
Registered
Nissan
820 Posts
I am leaning towards crank oil seal here.
Took me less than 5 mins. to change mine at last belt change....but then I was lucky too in that c/shaft belt sprocket came off pretty easy.
Use a Genuine one if possible....or a GOOD quality aftermarket one at the very least.

Cheers Keith

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Keith.

I have a genuine crank oil seal, and everything stripped down to the sprocket. Waiting for a mate - he has a drill so we can tap it.

But in the meantime I've been reading - for some people the oil pump fixed the leak. And the doubt plays on your mind - for the sake of five or so bolts, should I have bought that seal too?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nissan
820 Posts
HMMMM....the doubt does play on your mind hey. Well your 2 thirds the way there already...so if its doubtfull now....it will be a bigger job to go back later if the crank seal doesn't fix it hey...plus yu will hafta renew the seal already replaced. Not sure if the sump has to be taken off for this....as ...so far...I haven't needed to do this on my RD 28...but a good workshop manual will put yu right.

Cheers Keith

1 - 4 of 4 Posts