Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gu iii
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im looking to buy my first Patrol soon and ive pick from gu 3 or gu 4.
What are the main differences between the 2?
or the little ones..

Thanks

·
Registered
279 Posts
The major changes are exterior look, with new panels everywhere except the roof. The GU 4 is more squareish looking (which is good) with color coded flairing and bumper (which is bad).

Interior also changes with grey interior, pretty good in my opinion.

Engine wise, the TD42Ti is same carried over. TB48 has been detuned a bit (few kw) I think is to meet emission law or something. ZD30 has improved lubrication and a different turbo (still Garratt VNT), manual one produced 380NM (on paper) compared to 354NM in series 3 and auto)

For ZD30 manual, diff ratio changed from 4.375 (series 3) to 4.11 (series 4). Auto remained the same 4.375.

There are other minor changes like series 4 ZD30 does not have vaccum canister....

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,962 Posts
pretty much only minor detail mechanically, like the panhard rods getting a kink in them for guiv. . . . and as has been mentioned, minor differences in engines,

the only "Reason" i would buy a series 4 instead of 3 is the looks. they look quite different inside and out.

·
Registered
nissan
517 Posts
The obvious one is the upgrade interior and exterior, mechanically they are the same.
The other big thing is the series 4 has a bigger nose/beak or what ever you want to call it. Series 4 chassis is different on the rear for all models which means a series 3 rear bar wont fit without modifications to the mounts. The front of the chassis is also different for the 4.2Tdi only. It has extra bracing between the rails which is their as protection and caters for the larger radiator.

·
Registered
nissan gu iii
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh thanks alot guys! Yous helped me a lot! :)
By the sound/looks of it the IV is better.

·
Registered
Nissan
253 Posts
If your able to afford the extra for the series 4, from whats written above it seems like a no brainer to go for the series 4 :)

Its always interesting to see what the small if any differences are between series

·
Registered
nissan
41 Posts
The major changes are exterior look, with new panels everywhere except the roof. The GU 4 is more squareish looking (which is good) with color coded flairing and bumper (which is bad).

Interior also changes with grey interior, pretty good in my opinion.

Engine wise, the TD42Ti is same carried over. TB48 has been detuned a bit (few kw) I think is to meet emission law or something. ZD30 has improved lubrication and a different turbo (still Garratt VNT), manual one produced 380NM (on paper) compared to 354NM in series 3 and auto)

For ZD30 manual, diff ratio changed from 4.375 (series 3) to 4.11 (series 4). Auto remained the same 4.375.

There are other minor changes like series 4 ZD30 does not have vaccum canister....
Hi guiv,
sorry to hijack granto
you mention the roof did not change does this mean gutter mounted roof racks from a series 3 will fit a series 4?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi guiv,
sorry to hijack granto
you mention the roof did not change does this mean gutter mounted roof racks from a series 3 will fit a series 4?

It should. The changes in the panel was actually copied from the magazine when series 4 was introduced. I myself actually did not notice.

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,703 Posts
The series 4 don't seem to have the severity of the zd30 issues as opposed to the series 3. But that will only matter if you want a 3 litre :)

Good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts