Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
My Gu has suffered an engine failure, at this point in time the symptoms seem to indicate its blown a couple of pistons due to turbo overboost. The engine was stock standard, I had intended to fit a Dawes Valve but time ran out. I can't really complain as the truck is 10yrs old and done 340k+, up until this incident has done everything asked of it .

Is it possible to do an engine rebuild whilst the engine is still in the vehicle or does it have to be removed?

Mike

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
The faillure of pistons is not due to overboost. MAF failure or a build up of EGR gunk in the manifold.

I believe it is possible to rebuild whilst in vechile, but to remove the sump you need to remove the gearbox, so its only the engine mounts to undo to remove the engine.

·
Registered
618 Posts
"The failure of pistons is not due to overboost. MAF failure or a build up of EGR gunk in the manifold."

Actually not necessarily correct either.

The failure of the pistons is most likely because "that's what they do........"

Still, this one had a pretty good run at it.

·
Quickest Tyre Deflator On The Market
nissan
3,026 Posts
340.000 ks, I'd be happy with that, not bad for a 4 pot.:D Yeah, re build it on a stand, I would.;)

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
"The failure of pistons is not due to overboost. MAF failure or a build up of EGR gunk in the manifold."

Actually not necessarily correct either.

The failure of the pistons is most likely because "that's what they do........"

Still, this one had a pretty good run at it.
? :confused:

·
Registered
NISSAN
495 Posts
what Ferret said... Not enough room to work in the engine bay... and you will need to machine cranks ect...
Just finished doing my rebuild and motor back in now. Watch out for the 2 top bolts on the bell housing they are a F$%in pain in the ass.

·
Registered
nissan
979 Posts
Hi Mike,

Was sorry to hear about your engine problem from Rudi. If I can be of any help getting parts a bit cheaper for you then let me know.

·
Registered
nissan
2,481 Posts
i got my sump off with motor and gearbox still in the car. wasnt easy.. but thats what ya do when ya out in the bush!
take the motor out is the way to go.. if u can.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
3L failure - maybe a couple of pistons ......

Hi all
My Gu has suffered an engine failure, at this point in time the symptoms seem to indicate its blown a couple of pistons due to turbo overboost. The engine was stock standard, I had intended to fit a Dawes Valve but time ran out. I can't really complain as the truck is 10yrs old and done 340k+, up until this incident has done everything asked of it .

Is it possible to do an engine rebuild whilst the engine is still in the vehicle or does it have to be removed?

Mike
Hi, sad to hear of the failure --- curiousity question,, at any time did you have any glow plugs fail?. If so did any of the glow plugs have missing sections of the ceramic tip?..

I look forward to your reply - again sorry 'bout the 3L... Cheers Q8160

1 - 10 of 10 Posts