Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just wondering if there is anybody who has had starter problems with there auto conversion.
I have a 2001 GU 4.2 Diesel that has been converted to a auto transmission and had been told that with the conversion and the fitting of the auto that they use a different starter motor (off of a 4.5 or 4.8 petrol motor ).
My starter has died and when i took the end cap off i found that the 2 of brushes had been fried and the end of the armature was burnt also it was full of black dust.
I've been told by the people who did the conversion that they have never had a problem with the starter they use but i question as to whether the petrol starter at 1.4kw is up to it, when a diesel motor with higher compression runs a 2.2kw starter.
Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated..

·
Registered
nissan
177 Posts
Personally I wouldnt think a tb starter would be up to the job. Normally they would tap and drill an extra hole for the starter in the bellhousing for the td starter. Where did you get the conversion done?

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally I wouldnt think a tb starter would be up to the job. Normally they would tap and drill an extra hole for the starter in the bellhousing for the td starter. Where did you get the conversion done?
I bought it with the conversion already done, it was done only 12mths ago. It is a Wholesale Automatic Transmission conversion.
I don't know why they use this starter and if you ring them for some info there reluctant to tell you to much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts