Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. The time has come to finally stop talking about it and do it. I've been wanting to install a Tablet in the patrol for some time now and I've finally bitten the bullet and started buying stuff and taking things apart.

The Drive came from not being able to find a Multimedia Unit that could provide all the features I wanted at a reasonable cost. The features that were 'must haves' were:
- GPS
- 3G Connectivity
- Bluetooth (To use OBDII on Tourque app)
- Amplifier (To power sub and provide good quality sound)
- Android Platform

This can be achieved with some units already on the market but they are usually out of my price range or of a cheap quality (read: Chinese) and clunky.

This install is a little more complicated than those seen before but hopefully well worth it. it should appear like a stock fitment once Im done.

The General Idea:

The Heater Controls will move to the bottom of the dash where the Cig lighter socket was. A new facia will need to be made up for this to work.

A new headunit will sit in where the heater controls were and a 7" Tablet will go were the original headunit was. So far the heater control wiring and one of the heater box cables look like they will be just be long enough to go down the bottom. One cable may give me grief but time will tell.

The Tablet can be installed a few different ways and ill decide the best method once it turns up.

For the moment ive mocked up the fitment of the new headunit with an old one I had lying around and it looks good.

The Headunit:

I chose the JVC as it was one of the only ones on the market with a AUX-IN on the rear of the unit. I want this all to look factory so cables hanging out the front of the dash is not an option. Also at $99 the price was right.

The Tablet:

Well it hasnt been decided yet but it will either be the ASUS Fonepad ME317 or the Google Nexus 7 3G. Im leaning towards the fonepad as it is a relatively unheard of tablet with good specs and can be bought refurbished for around $200. The Nexus would be somewhere in the $400 range and although a very good unit is a little pricey.

So what to do now? Ill start measuring up and drawing the fascia to mount the heater controls and knock up some tests later this week. Its exciting times.

Woody.

·
Registered
nissan
138 Posts
Interesting project. I've been using the ASUS fonepad Model K004(ME371MG) and it has been pretty solid with 3G performance and quite sensitive GPS reception using both GPS and GLONASS constellations for multiple mapping applications whilst mobile. Battery life is quite good as well, I run it flat while flying on video regularly.

They are known for the reasonably low audio output through speakers or headphones but if its amplified then its really not a conern.

I bought it at RRP $ 254 in Australia in march this year so you should be able to buy it same or cheaper now it is over a year old in production.

Good luck.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
How hard was it to re-route the heater controls?

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting project. I've been using the ASUS fonepad Model K004(ME371MG) and it has been pretty solid with 3G performance and quite sensitive GPS reception using both GPS and GLONASS constellations for multiple mapping applications whilst mobile. Battery life is quite good as well, I run it flat while flying on video regularly.

They are known for the reasonably low audio output through speakers or headphones but if its amplified then its really not a conern.

I bought it at RRP $ 254 in Australia in march this year so you should be able to buy it same or cheaper now it is over a year old in production.

Good luck.
Thanks Headsense, good to have a first hand review on the Fonepad. I have a question though. If you run the tablet flat, when connected to the charger does it power on automatically or do you need to physically turn back it on?

·
Registered
nissan
138 Posts
I actually dont know to be honest. When i fly i run it to flat and then recharge it when i've landed.

In the truck I use it with a 2 amp charger so at least it doesnt take all day, but to be honest as i dont run the screen on for the duration I've not reached the point your curious about. And it will be worse for your designing a system to multi task and run at high loads where i simply run mapping or the phone.

I'll try and give it a run and see how it goes in the truck on the high current charger soon.

·
Registered
nissan gq
35 Posts
following very intersted in this

Reactions: woodizz

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
I'm not in any way trying to dampen your spirits but have you seen Pioneers AppRadio. When it's paired with your Android phone it ticks all those boxes and more, and a lot less hassle. You should be able to get one pretty cheap these days.

In any case goodluck and keen to see the finished product.

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not in any way trying to dampen your spirits but have you seen Pioneers AppRadio. When it's paired with your Android phone it ticks all those boxes and more, and a lot less hassle. You should be able to get one pretty cheap these days.

In any case goodluck and keen to see the finished product.
Yeah i had a look at the AVIC range from Pioneer and they were pretty much what I wanted but only a handful of models fully support Android and they still retail for $600+. Im hoping to get out of this whole project for $350.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Yeah i had a look at the AVIC range from Pioneer and they were pretty much what I wanted but only a handful of models fully support Android and they still retail for $600+. Im hoping to get out of this whole project for $350.

Mate the AVIC is supposed to be the top of the range with built in GPS but it's actually the worst pick. The pick of the litter is the AVH but they do have the SPH model with no CD slot that fully supports Android..there's one on eBay for $60 no bids at the moment. $350 is a keen target including all the fascia work!

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
Pioneer's AppRadio looks like a joke. It only supports a VERY small range of apps as far as i can tell, no mention of Androzic, Ozi or OsmAnd. I'm happy to be proven wrong but it looks more like a marketing scam rather than a serious feature.

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got some of the prototyping done today. I was a little off with the measurements for the cage so give it a hit with the die grinder and its all good. Headunit is mounted and sits solid.

Still need to do a little work getting the trim around the headunit to fit but so far so good.

Tomorrow, heater controls.

W.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Pioneer's AppRadio looks like a joke. It only supports a VERY small range of apps as far as i can tell, no mention of Androzic, Ozi or OsmAnd. I'm happy to be proven wrong but it looks more like a marketing scam rather than a serious feature.

Yes it's far from perfect but there are two modes. One is AppRadio mode where you have full touchscreen interaction with the special apps on the phone, but as you say the apps are limited. The other mode is phone mirror where it mirrors your phone so you can run any app...but the touchscreen doesn't work so that's a bit annoying. I use it with Maps'n'trax on my iPhone and it works a treat.

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Flowing with interest, if all goes to plan will you be selling kits?
I have thought about it but there is going to be custom work in relocating the heater controls. Once its all said and done Ill see if its worth it.

Only a little more done today. Trimmed the headunit surround to fit. Looks about as good as its going to get.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Head unit looks great there - nice job. You can't beat a tablet in the dash - from music, to satnav, to "Torque" app, to videos for the kids, they do it all. For anybody wanting to install a tablet with the head unit hidden in the dash check out the Wetsounds WW-BT-VC volume control knob. It's not cheap but there is a replica in Jaycar for $50.

·
Registered
nissan
1 Posts
is this going to be able to used to answer your phone calls via bluetooth? so if you get a phone call, can you hear it through your car speakers and use the tablets mic? or install an additional mic?

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
is this going to be able to used to answer your phone calls via bluetooth? so if you get a phone call, can you hear it through your car speakers and use the tablets mic? or install an additional mic?
I'm hoping so. I haven't bought the tablet yet as I ended up having to rebuild both my swivel hubs / wheel bearings this week .

The plan is to use the tablets phone capabilities to make and receive calls. Essentially I'll have a car phone and my normal phone working separately. The tablet Mic should still pick up sound through the dash. If not it should hopefully be possible to custom make a cable to use the Mic ring on the 3.5mm Jack and use an external microphone.

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What's your plan for mounting the aircon/heater controls? and which control cable do you think going to give you problems?
Ive made a new surround for the heater controls but it looks like I will need to make brackets to hold everything in. Its pretty crappy looking at the moment but Still in the testing phase

The cable that selects the outputs on the heater box may not be long enough. Its extremly similar to a mower throttle cable thou so replacements are about $15.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts