Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I want to change a worn pulley/bearing on my air con compressor, does anyone know how to do it and if its hard to do? What tools do i need to do it and how?

Cheers, Alan.

P.s, ive changed my water pump, alternator, belt and tensioner pulley all with no benefit as im chasing down a very annoying squeal. After being under the car most of the day, i did find that once the belt was off the air con compressor pulley was very loose and noisy to play with.

·
Registered
nissan
145 Posts
Its a little cumbersom inside the car, outside its quite straight forward.

Send me your e-mail address as a pm, and ill send you the manual section for what you are trying to do.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Done!!

Greatly appreciated!

Also, is this bearing sourceable from Nissan or do i need to go after market?

·
Registered
nissan
145 Posts
Ive sent it over.

Sorry mate, i live half a world away. I am sure you can get it from nissan as they sell a kit i believe... but that might be different where you live.

Cheers and good luck!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey mate

Some people have managed to get the pulley off the compressor using only a screwdriver. I wasn't one of them.

Have you used a harmonic balancer puller before? You can get em pretty cheap at supercheap I think. Grab a packet of bolts to fit into the little holes you see on the front of the clutch while you're down there (you'll need them for the puller). I also have a longer bolt I screw into the centre of the pulley to make the job really simple.

Undo the bolt in the centre of the pulley and screw your longer replacement in a couple of turns. Then set the puller on the front of the clutch and wind onto the centre bolt. You'll probably need to put a spanner on the centre bolt to stop it turning while you wind the puller onto it. The clutch will come straight off. You can probably do it with the original centre bolt but a longer one makes life very easy. You should be able to tap the pulley off once the clutch is off.

This can all be done without removing the compressor from the vehicle on a ZD30.

Bearing replacement is then very simple, just the usual care when installing the new one.

I'm on my 3rd bearing (bloody low hanging aircon) and can do the job in about 15 mins now.

Hope that makes sense and is of some help.

Cheers
Andy.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey champ,

What do i do with the little bolts? and what size should they be?

Also, where do you get your replacement bearings from?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Google Image Result for http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/pulley_stock_puller.jpg

The bolts are used with puller as per the pic in that link. Sorry not sure of the size off the top of my head, but I know you can buy them in a packet from supercheap. You might need some washers as well so the bolts don't pull through the "ducks foot". Just have a look at the front of the aircon clutch, you'll work the size out.

Bearing from any bearing supplier. There'll be a part No. in the forum here somewhere.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Here you go.

Jamfox just winds the bolts evenly through the clutch to pry it off.
I forgot about the cir-clip. It'll need to come out and go back in properly.
Part No. is there too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so i changed the bearing on the air con pulley. It wasnt all that hard with the information ive gathered from here so thanks guys.

But, the dreaded squeal is still there. The aircon pulley is running alot quieter, but when i rev the motor up its still there!!!

I have now changed the following things. Belt, tensioner pulley, water pump, alternator and air con pulley bearing.

Once i sprayed CRC belt grip on there, the squeal went away. Should i try a genuine Nissan belt and give all the pulleys a good scrub? I did notice on the air con pulley a bit of build up (probably from the assortment of sprays i have used to try and mask the squeal).

The tensioner seems fine, i mean, it takes alot of power to disengage it so im thinking the problem now lies within the belt and the cleanliness of the pulleys.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah Jamus, cause the sound would go away when i used CRC belt grip.

Now that ive removed the non genuine belt, scrubbed the pulleys and put on a genuine belt, the noise has finally gone!!

The genuine belt was deffinately about 10-15mm shorter than the new after market one, and my pulleys were disgusting!

·
Registered
nissan
58 Posts
I have tried everything and cant not move the cover plate off the pulley. It is just flexing. Ant help would be much appreciated. i am getting so frustrated with it i am about to just let the gas out and go buy a new complete air con pump and put it in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts