Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a long shot but does anyone who has changed the bearing in their Aircon tensioner pulley know what dimensions or part number they might be. 04 GUIV 4.2Tdi.

Sure I could, and will do if necessary, remove all belts and take the tensioner off. Then put all accept the aircon back on and drive into town get it matched and then pull the belts off again and replace tensioner ( with new bearing )and put belts on again.

On the other hand if someone happened to know the bearing sizes, or part number that would change things. The job would require me driving into town, (as my bearing is drivable but squealing) and getting the $10 bearing. Come home. Pull the tensioner, replace bearing and put back on. No belts removed.

I only just replaced the aircon belt a couple of months back so I don't really want to cut it off to get to the shop unless as said, I have to.

Anyway I thought it was worth a try. Knowing my luck Nissan had two different sizes in 04 GU's. HA

Cheers

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
So is it the belt tensioner or the airconditioner free wheeling pulley?

There were threads on here about both of these and how to recondition them, I am prety sure with the part numbers at least for the belt tensoner bearing.

Have a bit of a scan through this thread, there are limks to keaps of helpful things: http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/zd30...w-old-members-data-mods-maint-gen-info-88462/

Go down to Post 11 and there is the belt tensioner links

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks heaps for your reply and link.
I did come across this thread when I was searching. The only problem is that the belt setup on my 4.2Tdi is different to the 3ltrs. I am talking about the tensioner pulley that is dedicated to the air conditioner belt. I read a lot threads on the subject, but I couldn't find any with the actual part number for this bearing on a 4.2Tdi. That's not to say I didn't miss one, but I did give it a pretty good go.

Thanks again.

All help is appreciated.

·
Registered
nissan
252 Posts
G'day Franky73,
Did you end up finding the replacement bearing number?
Mines an 03 td42ti & I'm willing to take the chance it's the same.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
G'day Franky73,
Did you end up finding the replacement bearing number?
Mines an 03 td42ti & I'm willing to take the chance it's the same.
Cheers
No sorry mate.
I tightened the belt which masked the stuffed bearing for the minute. I do however have to do it. I have some time off after New Years so will be taking it all apart then. I will post the size / part No when I find out. If you end up doing yours before I get to mine done I would love to know what size yours is.
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
252 Posts
Will do mate.
Mine not buggered, but I've gotta get down that side of the motor over xmas
& was going to change idler bearing while I was there.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
2,115 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Franky, the pulley you are referring to is called the .."IDLER PULLEY" in the workshop manuals 4.2td
Mine is a 2000 model and I have replaced it 3 times, my model bearing no is "6303LU" .
That is stamped on box and bearing for NTN brand, think it was about $6 ?
Need a 22mm socket to undo.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Franky, the pulley you are referring to is called the .."IDLER PULLEY" in the workshop manuals 4.2td
Mine is a 2000 model and I have replaced it 3 times, my model bearing no is "6303LU" .
That is stamped on box and bearing for NTN brand, think it was about $6 ?
Need a 22mm socket to undo.
Thanks mate. I'm just about to finally do mine so for that price it is worth the chance that yours is the same as my 2004 td42ti. Will post how I went as it might help others.

Cheers

·
Workin for the weekend
nissan
431 Posts
I've just replaced the belt on my TD42Ti but how the hell do you tighten the bloody thing? I cant get any tension on in at all I have tried to tighten the 13mm bolt on top but don't want to go too tight for fear of snapping it?
The belt broke so I didn't need to loosen anything to replace it.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've just replaced the belt on my TD42Ti but how the hell do you tighten the bloody thing? I cant get any tension on in at all I have tried to tighten the 13mm bolt on top but don't want to go too tight for fear of snapping it?
The belt broke so I didn't need to loosen anything to replace it.

Thanks
You need to loosen the big 22mm nut at the front of the idler pulley first before adjusting the nut on the top. Then retighten 22mm nut.

·
Workin for the weekend
nissan
431 Posts
You need to loosen the big 22mm nut at the front of the idler pulley first before adjusting the nut on the top. Then retighten 22mm nut.
Ahh thanks I was looking at that and thought nah that would have nothing to do with it.
Ill give it a go now.

·
Workin for the weekend
nissan
431 Posts
Got it after I was sold the wrong belt, twice, we had our mechanic get a full set of spares for when we are travelling, all 3 belts were wrong size, trip to repco again 2 belts the wrong size, all sorted now thou.
My TD4.2Ti had a bit different system of pullies there is a little pulley on the Alt pulley system that does nothing but keep the belt away from the AC its between the crankshaft and the alt.
I also have a different way of adjustment on the alt, a locking bolt on top and move it by hand.

I have a Max Ellery workshop manual and says nothing at all on replacing the belt for any other engine apart from the ZD30.

·
Registered
451 Posts
You are right Martyn, same little pulley on mine as well but for some reason it is not shown on illustration above. I've never touched that pulley nor have I ever heard or seen anyone ever discuss it on here. One would think that the little rollers in that bearing would need some sort of attention but seems to be completely ignored.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
I just cut my belt off took the pulley off drove the car to cbc and got a bearing for about 8 dollars from memory.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just cut my belt off took the pulley off drove the car to cbc and got a bearing for about 8 dollars from memory.
That's all good mate but my belt is fairly new. I'd do exactly that if it was almost due for a change anyway. No point making an $8 fix 3 times more.

·
Registered
nissan
212 Posts
Go to statewide/CBC. Tell them what it is for. They look it up in their book and give you the correct bearings for 1/4 the price of Nissan. They have the technology.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Go to statewide/CBC. Tell them what it is for. They look it up in their book and give you the correct bearings for 1/4 the price of Nissan. They have the technology.
I'm not taking the piss but are you saying I can just go down and say I'm looking for a bearing for my 04 td42ti patrol idler bearing pulley and they will have that in their data base. That will fix my issue in one if that is the case. From past experiences with other bearings or seals that wasn't the case. I wouldn't be that confident without specs anymore. Maybe the technology isn't that good down here in Southwest Aus. LOL

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Right then. I finally changed it today. I took Porks bearing number and a few more I found on line to Statewide Bearings. I was out of there in 5mins. When I got home and extracted the pulley I was hoping it would be the right bearing considering Porks was an 2000 and mine is an 2004. No problem fitted perfectly and doesn't squeal anymore. Heading into 41 degrees heat on Mon so didn't really want the bearing to sh#t itself. Glad I changed it as it fell to pieces as I took the pulley off. The following are the bearing numbers I managed to get. I printed them out and showed them when I went to the bearing shop. They laughed and said it is the first 4 numbers that are the important ones. The letters at the end are brand specific for seal types or something. Anyway here they are.

TD42/ TD42i Idler pulley bearing numbers

What I actually replaced mine with
Nachi/ Japan
6303NSE (number on bearing)
6303-2RS JP (number on invoice)

Numbers I printed off and took to Statewide bearings.

NTN
6303LLU
6303LLU/2AS

Nsk
6303du2

1 - 20 of 21 Posts