Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, got a set of GU alloy wheels for my GQ...

obviously i cant use the nuts i use that hold the steel wheels on atm, so which nuts do i use to suit the alloy wheels?

can anyone give me a link or a part number for genuine nissan wheel nuts?

cheers

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?

can someone with a GU that has these alloy wheels remove one of your wheel nuts and take a photo for me?

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
There is nothing fancy about them mate. They are bog standard chrome wheel nuts. There was a Nissan recall a while back because rear wheels were falling off, but the fix for that was to ensure the hub is clean, torque up the nuts and fit plastic indicators that show if the nuts have unwound at all.

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but do i need the shank nuts, like you need to use for the GQ tri spoke alloys or just the normal 60 degree taper nuts?

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Yep just get a set of chrome dome type nuts with tapered seat the same as your steel wheels use.

As long as they are not the huge big bulky ones sold in Supercheap as some of them make it hard to get a wheel brace spanner head into the narrow hole on the alloys. The standard ones are quite small and neat to fit the hole and get the wheel brace in.

Yes just saw your photo, they look abought right.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Hey OSH

How did you go fitting your GUIV 17x8 alloys ?

I recently got some GUIII 16x8 alloys ready to go on my GQ

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey OSH

How did you go fitting your GUIV 17x8 alloys ?

I recently got some GUIII 16x8 alloys ready to go on my GQ

yeah it went well.

you just need the 60deg taper nuts. similar to what i posted in the pic above. i did however go out and buy new ones ($42 from autopro for 24) as the ones i had had the wrong thread pitch. the new ones i got where closed in, and not open (you cant see the stud)

i think from memory they are an M8x1.25.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I have the original nuts that came with the rims and will also try the GQ nuts off my alloys to see which fit better , either way as long as they are torqued correctly to ensure they don't come loose

Also you do realise the GU alloys fit 5mm closer in the guard due to the +10 offset compared to the GQ's +5 , again no big deal to me as i don't intend of increasing current tyre diameter on these rims but something to be aware of

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the original nuts that came with the rims and will also try the GQ nuts off my alloys to see which fit better , either way as long as they are torqued correctly to ensure they don't come loose

Also you do realise the GU alloys fit 5mm closer in the guard due to the +10 offset compared to the GQ's +5 , again no big deal to me as i don't intend of increasing current tyre diameter on these rims but something to be aware of

the GQ ti nuts (that are used with the 3 spoke alloy) are not suitable, as they are a flat nut (almost like a nut and washer in one).

i noticed a huge difference with offset, my previous steelies where a -23 offset. and what i think also makes it look more dramatic, i went with a smaller tire also. on the steelies i had a 33x12.5 were as with the alloys ive got a 285/70 which is = to 32.7x11.2

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
the GQ ti nuts (that are used with the 3 spoke alloy) are not suitable, as they are a flat nut (almost like a nut and washer in one).

i noticed a huge difference with offset, my previous steelies where a -23 offset. and what i think also makes it look more dramatic, i went with a smaller tire also. on the steelies i had a 33x12.5 were as with the alloys ive got a 285/70 which is = to 32.7x11.2
Thanks for the heads up on the GQ TI nuts not being suitable on the GU alloys

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Hey OSH

The GUIII alloys are now fitted to my GQ and i must admit they really complement the old girl compared to the original tri spoke alloys

The wheel nuts were torqued to 100 nm and when i got home i checked them again with a wheel brace tried to tighten a bit more but couldn't do much as they were pretty tight , however 100nm falls a bit short on the recommended 118 - 144 nm as stated in the workshop manual

The question here is , it safe to torque the wheel nuts to those higher figures without doing any damage to the threads or snapping a stud of two , or should i just go ahead and do what the book says with confidence ?

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im not really sure on that answer.

most tyre shops that i have questioned pretty much have their torque wrenches set to 100nm. this seems to be a good adverage over most of the manifacturers.

i personally think 100nm should be fine.

travel 500kms, set your torque bar to 100nm and see if you can do them up any more.

something ive been to lazy to get which I should is wheel nut indicators from nissan. think they are avout $24 for 22 and just go over the top of the nuts.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
They look good on the GQ

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Best looking factory alloy rim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts