Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Looks like the Patrol had to be towed to the Auto Transmission place this morn. So I'll give the scenario than ask for opinions!!

Drove approx 20km to the inlaws to drop our daughter off this morn, parked in their driveway turned the car off and went inside.... no dramas on the way there. Came out about 30min later and started the car, reversed out the driveway without issue(normal acceleration and power) put it in drive once on the street(slight 5-10 degree incline) and it revved out auite hard without really going anywhere, just creeping forward once it was revving really hard(3000+rpm). Tried putting back to 2nd & 1st but no difference. Got it mostly off the street and shut it down in hope of restarting and clearing the problem.

Tried restarting and wouldn't kick over, had all ign lights etc but nothing at the starter to kick it in the guts. I the. Disconnected the battery for 30+mins in hope of resetting the computer as well as cleaning the MAF sensor... All to no avail, just wouldn't start like the previous time.

So this is where I take the 'call a friend' option. Mate of mine is a diesel mech + auto elec so he got me to bypass the ign to starter by running a wire from the battery dirctly to starter wire, effectively hotwiring it to start, which it did.... YAY!!
Tried moving it again and still no power in forward motion but normal in reverse. Shut it down and then couldn't start again with the key. Called another mate that owns a torque converter shop in syd and he advised me to get it into an auto trans plc...put me onto a reputable auto trans mob here locally that he knows.

Throughout all this, I never heard any crunching or grinding metal sounds so hoping it's not the TC.

Soooo, as we speak it's sitting in their workshop waiting to be looked at.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before and what should I be expecting to hear when they call me back??

Sorry if it's not punctuated all correctly, trying to type this on my phn due to the site still having issues n all :)

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
115 Posts
Oh dear, can't help u but am interested in your dilemma. Keep us informed of what you find.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
32 Posts
Not knowing the autos that well, it sounds like it might be a computer problem. But that is really only a stab in the dark. Let us all know how you go mate

·
Registered
nissan
776 Posts
I'm just subbing to this thread to find out how it goes.

Is that in your 3L?

·
Registered
nissan
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oil is all good, was one of the first things I checked, must've forgotten to add that in when I wrote up the first post. Had a msg left to call them so will speak to them in the morning and see what's going on.

Will post up with more info as it all comes out. With all the bloody bills in the last month I'm crossing fingers it's something reasonably simple..... knowing my luck though, I'm guessing not!!! Argggghhhh!!

·
Registered
nissan
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Joel, yep it's in the ZD30. Has a new crate motor thats only done 25k so hoping this will be the last problem for a LONG time once this is fixed.

·
Registered
nissan
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually.... would be interested to hear Chaz's opinion if he see's this thread..... being the ZD30 guru and all ;)

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
If the oil is OK, do you know when the trans was last serviced?

It could be your TCU, have you had any water in the cab or done any wiring in the passenger foot well?

Hope you get it sorted without too much expense.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts