Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking on Fleabay at some new rear tail lights with all the lights, indicator, reverse and stop/tail. I know one problem is that the stock GU tail lights don't have any reflector in the lens, but some of the lights on ebay do have the reflector (euro spec). Has anyone gone through this rigmarole before?

Is the Reflector the only thing stopping the body lights being ADR approved or is there some other reason like position, size visibility, height or distance to the rear most part of the car?

These lights have reflectors, would they be ADR approved?
Nissan GU Patrol 97-01 Tail Lights Fully Operating NEW (eBay item 260665316980 end time 15-Nov-10 20:01:58 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

Cheers
Azza

·
Registered
nissan
776 Posts
IIRC because you couldn't see both the lights from a certain angle because of the rear tyre?

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Hiya Azza

The lights don't comply with ADR's because the Spare Tyre impinges on the visibilty arc for the RH Light specified in the ADR. Doesn't matter what reflectors/bulbs put in that will still be the case and because the lights have to be in pairs that meant neither could be used.

My understanding is that the ADR is not retrospective which is why the early Mav's were OK but from Series 2 and the demise of the Mav the repeaters in the bumper were introduced in the Aussie Compliant Trucks but could be wrong on that one.

·
Premium Member
1975 G60, 1989 GQ, 2013 GU
1,408 Posts
its after 1990 the adr ruling came in. Thats why the series 1 GQ's had the body lights and the Series 2 GQ's had the bumper bar lights

TRev

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
But then how were ford allowed to get away with it? I've got a factory rear bar on mine and there aren't any lights in it. But it does make sense that you can't see the other lights.

Ford didn't get away with anything... the early GQ's didn't have bumper repeaters either

edit... Beat me to it MD911 :D

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so as long as the bar lights are left in place, (or replaced with a new bar) and I get body lights and wire them in, it won't breach ADR's, as the Body lights will just be extra lights and the bar lights remain the ones that keep the ADR compliance.

The reason I am looking into this is that I hate the fact the body lights are completely nonfunctional, why have non working lights? I also want to wire up the reverse to both sides, as the single light does nothing for rearward visibility.

larcie,
I would read ADR's but it would have taken me longer than this to find the correct ADR I was looking for then to find the actual problem would have taken longer. The idea of Forums like this is that we can have a combined pool of knowledge and experience we can share. Most of the time other people have done what you plan on doing and can help.

·
Premium Member
1975 G60, 1989 GQ, 2013 GU
1,408 Posts
The reason why Nissan didn't wire up the body lights is the cost factor. Other makes like Mitsubishi wired both body and bar lights

TRev

·
Registered
nissan
1,529 Posts
I've put those same lights in mine how ever I sanded mine back applied a clear plastic primer and a light coat of VHT "niteshades" sp999 and then a couple of coats of clear acrylic.
I found the "orange" too in your face and when I saw the same lights on other white GUs I felt they stood out like dogs balls.
I'll see if I can get a pic over the weekend.

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
The Arab/Japanese spec tail lights are completely legal as an aftermarket install. Nissan are not allowed to install these as a factory option for some odd Australian rule. However, you must retain the bumper lights at all times. You will not get pinged by having the additional lights.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
977 Posts
As Ray said.....

As long as you retain the bumper lights then you are ok. Dont take the bulbs out or you wont be ok, and could fail an inspection (If the mechanic knew about the ADR requirement for the vehicle)

·
Registered
nissan
39 Posts
Hi Ray. Did the extra lamp fitment to my 90 Prado a while back. Only down side was that when towing a trailer, The hazard relay threw a hissy fit and wouldn't work. ( I can only assume too much load with extra lamps) Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
101 Posts
A little off topic but still with ADR's its my understanding that the front of vehicles need to be as smooth and sweeping as possible to protect pedestrians from injury and thats why forward angleing bull bars, fishing rod holders, bonnet clips and bonnet scoops of some type /dimension are illegal. Yet the Hummer has those 2 massive D shackles hanging off the front bumper and would be the first point of impact in a collision?

Just having a whinge, but its always bugged me..

Attachments

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
its after 1990 the adr ruling came in. Thats why the series 1 GQ's had the body lights and the Series 2 GQ's had the bumper bar lights

TRev
I think it was 1991 but what the hey. A few other lighting rules changed too at the same time such as max headlight height.
However, you must retain the bumper lights at all times. You will not get pinged by having the additional lights.
Not sure about that Ray. ADR's say that all lights used whether additional or not must conform to ADR's so if you hook up the body lights they are included. Doubt if anyone would actually get pinged for it though.

·
8,549 Posts
larcie,
I would read ADR's but it would have taken me longer than this to find the correct ADR I was looking for then to find the actual problem would have taken longer. The idea of Forums like this is that we can have a combined pool of knowledge and experience we can share. Most of the time other people have done what you plan on doing and can help.
google ADR 13 Lighting

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
I have a 2008 GU and bought some rear lights from Patrolapart in Vic. Shipped then over to WA for $208 total for both. I thought that was pretty good. Just took me a couple of hours to wire them up while the beers were chillin :cheers: I love em, they look the real deal and it's far better than having lights that don't friggin work! They simply click into place and you would never know the difference.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Not sure about that Ray. ADR's say that all lights used whether additional or not must conform to ADR's so if you hook up the body lights they are included. Doubt if anyone would actually get pinged for it though.
I wasn't going to comment earlier but seeing as how the point has been raised...

Yep 100% agree with Sudso. Just because you have some lights that comply with ADR's doesn't allow you to fit (or in this case activate) others that do not.

Also agree with Sudso... it would be a very very unlikely scenario to get stickered over so definitely not a biggee and they do look good. :driving:

·
8,549 Posts
I wasn't going to comment earlier but seeing as how the point has been raised...

Yep 100% agree with Sudso. Just because you have some lights that comply with ADR's doesn't allow you to fit (or in this case activate) others that do not.
I know one problem is that the stock GU tail lights don't have any reflector in the lens, but some of the lights on ebay do have the reflector (euro spec).
And on that note if the light lenses dont have ADR###### (number) on them they aren't ADR approved (for use in Australia).
ADR approved tail lights always have reflectors in them. Even trailer tail lights have to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts