Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All

What type of bolts do Nissan put in the patrol? I've been bolting a plywood sheet into the boot of my shiny new GU7 and needed longer bolts. I'm using the child seat restraint captured nuts and 5/16" UNC seemed to be the go, but the bolts aren't going in the best (seem to be flattening out the threads somewhat). Are they UNC/UNF (or even Whitworth)?

Cheers

Jon

·
Registered
473 Posts
Went out and checked mine (well one of 'em anyway), and it's definitely 5/16" x 18 UNC..
(I believe this must be an ADR requirement, as all the other bolts & nuts are metric)

Are you quite sure the bolts you have are 5/16 UNC ?

If they are, and you're having trouble screwing them in, then

(a) the female thread is damaged

(b) you're cross-threading them, or

(c) if the holes in the plywood sheet are not aligned 100% true to the thread, this will caust the problem you are experiencing....

If the holes are correctly aligned (and you have the correct threaded bolts, and they still won't go), then I'd suggest running a thread tap through the nut(s) to clean 'em up ;)

Of course, if you're trying to run 5/16" UNC bolts into any of the other captive nuts, then that ain't gunna work either ;)

Most (if not all) of the body bolts will be either M6x1, 8x1.25, or 10x1.25

:) ;)

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
I would very much doubt they would be UNC.

As Ed C suggests there are only a few bolt sizes on the Patrol and I have never come across an imperial thread. Only uncommon thread I found was on the bolts holding on the rear wheel carrier as they are metric fine thread.

If you force a UNC in there you might make a mess.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
Nissan
526 Posts
I seem to remember using metric M6 bolts from Supercheap when I bolted in my drawer set a while back.

·
Registered
473 Posts
All,
The child seat restraint anchor nuts are definitely 5/16" UNC..

As I said before, these being the only non-metric nuts you will find in a Nissan, leads me to believe that it is an ADR requirement, as every other vehicle I've seen uses the same thread in this application..

I'm guessing that Jon has it sorted now................

:) ;)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have just finished bolting a floor in my GU and the restraint points are 5/16UNC, all the small tie down points are M6 and the seat mounts are M10x1.25

·
Registered
nissan
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have just finished bolting a floor in my GU and the restraint points are 5/16UNC, all the small tie down points are M6 and the seat mounts are M10x1.25
the back one is the same as well isn't it (the one that's normally hidden by that plastic screw in plug)?

I'll be taking them back out again in a while as i'm going to put some extra child restraint brackets to use as lightweight tie downs for stuff in the boot and when i do that i'll make sure i've got the bolt holes aligned properly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts