Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just installed a boost gauge but need to get power to the light... I only want them to come on when the headlights are on.

Where can i find the wire to tap in to it to run as a switch wire to my relay? And what colour is it...

Cheers

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
The ashtray light is an easy one, only on when light on.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i have mine on the pillar, i tapped into the lights from behind the dimmer switch

geoff

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Sounds good. The dimmer is perfect as im putting the gauges on the pillar...
Thats where I connected my EGT lighting. One thing to remember is that the dimmer works by "raising earth" not lowering the positive 12 volt supply so if you want the lights to dim (which is very handy for pillar gauges as they are up in line of sight) you connect the Boost Gauge light + wire to 12 volts and the Boost Gauge Light earth wire has to go to the dimmer not to any other earth or chassis.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thats where I connected my EGT lighting. One thing to remember is that the dimmer works by "raising earth" not lowering the positive 12 volt supply so if you want the lights to dim (which is very handy for pillar gauges as they are up in line of sight) you connect the Boost Gauge light + wire to 12 volts and the Boost Gauge Light earth wire has to go to the dimmer not to any other earth or chassis.
That interesting. My pillar pods dont dim, i might try this.
At the moment if i try to dim the guages they turn white instead of orange (day and night) Sorry to hi jack.

Geoff

·
Registered
nissan
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking about just taping of the back of the dimmer positive straight to boost gauge and then just earthing to the chassis...

Im not really to phased about dimming them The globes have a tiny output

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
I was thinking about just taping of the back of the dimmer positive straight to boost gauge and then just earthing to the chassis...

Im not really to phased about dimming them The globes have a tiny output
Fair enough... but if you are running 1 wire to the dimmer for 12 volts why not run both... even with "tiny" globes I would get tee'd off with the glow up on the pillar pod however no biggee if the globes are indeed quite dim to begin with...

·
Registered
nissan patrol
9 Posts
I have been playing around with the dimmer switch ready for the gauge install. I have tried all combinations of wires from the switch and also with constant separate earth and + on a test globe (and multimeter) but can only get the globe to work in the opposite direction of the switch, when the dash light dom the globe gets brighter. What am I missisng???

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
I have been playing around with the dimmer switch ready for the gauge install. I have tried all combinations of wires from the switch and also with constant separate earth and + on a test globe (and multimeter) but can only get the globe to work in the opposite direction of the switch, when the dash light dom the globe gets brighter. What am I missisng???
See the earlier posts... as you essentially have the +12 and Earth backwards...

The wire you have connected to from the dimmer is Dimmer Earth and it is raised towards 12 Volts as you dim which is why your gauge is getting brighter as your dash lights get dimmer and vice versa.

Connect your 12 Volt wire for your gauge to any 12 V constant source and connect the Earth wire from your gauge lighting to the wire you are using on the dimmer

NOTE... the gauge has to have a seperate lighting earth for you to be able to dim the globe using the vehicle dimmer

·
Registered
nissan
613 Posts
Connect your 12 Volt wire for your gauge to any 12 V constant source and connect the Earth wire from your gauge lighting to the wire you are using on the dimmer

NOTE... the gauge has to have a seperate lighting earth for you to be able to dim the globe using the vehicle dimmer
If I connected the 12V to any old power supply and the earth to the dimmer, will the gauge lights only come on with the headlights or should the + come from something already in the light circuit (ash tray/dash etc)

·
Registered
nissan
613 Posts
Had a bit of a play today and wired up the lights for my gauges. It's a lot easier than it sounded.

I patched into the light thats on the cig lighter for the 12v power, and for the earth I pulled the corner of the dash apart to get to the back of the dimer switch and connected the negative wire to the PINK wire, now the gauge lights only come on with the headlights AND they dim properly with the dimer switch. :)

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SG1

·
Registered
nissan
44 Posts
Had a bit of a play today and wired up the lights for my gauges. It's a lot easier than it sounded.

I patched into the light thats on the cig lighter for the 12v power, and for the earth I pulled the corner of the dash apart to get to the back of the dimer switch and connected the negative wire to the PINK wire, now the gauge lights only come on with the headlights AND they dim properly with the dimer switch. :)

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Thanks just came inside to check which wire it was on the dimmer switch to use, now back out to wire it up..:D

·
Registered
2013 GU9 Y61 ST plus limited edition
76 Posts
I did my saas dual boost and egt guage recently.

The earth is fairly self explanitory, I did mine to the same earth that the head unit used.

Constant power wire. I ran mine through the firewall with the boost line and hooked up to the battery.

The accesory power. I pulled the front of the dash off and spliced into the back of the cigarette lighter port.

Dimmer wire. I did struggle a little with this, but eventually located the earth from the headlight stem and spliced into that. See pics of the location for gu9.

I mounted the guage in the compartment above the head unit. Pic attached.

The light always comes on with the car but dims with the headlights.

Still need to make up a facia for the guage but that's for another day.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just noticed that my guage gets really hot to touch. Any ideas as to why? Have I set something up wrong? Because I bought a fairly cheap one? Or is this normal?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
142 Posts
Just noticed that my guage gets really hot to touch. Any ideas as to why? Have I set something up wrong? Because I bought a fairly cheap one? Or is this normal?

If the gauge has a metal case & has an incandescent globe, then it would heat up. If it was LED lighting, it should not heat up at all. ( quick and nasty difference )

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nicely hidden gauge.
It was a compromise. Misses didn't want to see them on the pillar or dash etc... and I wanted/needed a guage. :)

·
Registered
nissan
142 Posts
It was a compromise. Misses didn't want to see them on the pillar or dash etc... and I wanted/needed a guage. :)

Yeah, I’m looking at gauges too, however the pillar mount is my only real ‘neat’ choice at eye level with a 2000 gu2.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts