Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
This may have been done before.
I have a soft brake pedal and poor braking, I have done the following with no gain in braking efficiency.
1. Replaced the master cylinder and booster
2. Overhauled the wheel cylinders new rubbers etc.
3. Fitted original Nissan pads(not sure if I should fit harder compound pads??)
4. Fitted DBA slotted rotors.
5. Bled the system ( no air leaks)
6. Fitted another vacuum tank(now have two)

All of the above for zero gain. Does any one out there have a clue as to what the problem might be. I am just about clued out.
Cheers

·
Registered
846 Posts
Have you driven other GU's? It may be that your brakes are normal for the breed.

People do report some improvement from "normal" (= not great) with braided stainless lines. I think there was a thread recently. For a road car you have to make sure the new lines are ADR approved and I have no personal experience if the improvement is worth the expense.

·
Registered
nissan gu3 2001
349 Posts
I only fitted the RDA slotted front rotors and ferodo pads, made a huge difference in my rig.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you driven other GU's? It may be that your brakes are normal for the breed.

People do report some improvement from "normal" (= not great) with braided stainless lines. I think there was a thread recently. For a road car you have to make sure the new lines are ADR approved and I have no personal experience if the improvement is worth the expense.

Thanks Bruce
No I havent driven other patrols so dont know if it is the "norm"

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
isnt there a couple of thread floating around about changing to tb48 calipers or something??

thanks dirt devil, corrected!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,133 Posts
Its changing to 4.8 calipers.

cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
446 Posts
Maybe the rubber lines need replacing onto caliper. If they have perished in anyway they will expand under pressure.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 1998 4.2td
30 Posts
The gu I have have all ways been soft all most to the floor but there work really well. I have sloted rotor and 4wd pad make no differents. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
nissan
400 Posts
Forget the Ferodo pads. A mate of mine is the owner and proprieter of Gladstone Brake, Clutch and CV Joints. He sees stuffed rotors on a daily basis. The biggest cause of rotors requiring machining, apart from age and usage warping, is Ferodo pads. They are hard, and long lasting, because they wear disks out rather than allow the pads to wear.

·
Registered
nissan
147 Posts
Is there a bleed point on the bias valve above the rear diff? Experienced the same thing on my old Hilux and finally realized I hadn't bled it, after was fine

·
Registered
nissan
2,471 Posts
isnt there a couple of thread floating around about changing to tb48 calipers or something??

thanks dirt devil, corrected!
no it was using the front pads only from a 4.8 . they pop straight in to 3l brakes.. work awesome but doesnt get rid of sponginess.

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
Hi All
This may have been done before.
I have a soft brake pedal and poor braking, I have done the following with no gain in braking efficiency.
1. Replaced the master cylinder and booster
2. Overhauled the wheel cylinders new rubbers etc.
3. Fitted original Nissan pads(not sure if I should fit harder compound pads??)
4. Fitted DBA slotted rotors.
5. Bled the system ( no air leaks)
6. Fitted another vacuum tank(now have two)

All of the above for zero gain. Does any one out there have a clue as to what the problem might be. I am just about clued out.
Cheers
I think you've done everything except what I would think is the most obvious being the brake lines. Get a set of braded lines and in my experince that makes the biggest difference to pedal feel out of any brake mod. Normal rubber ones get more flexible with age and heat. Forget slotted rotors, unless you have gazed up std ones and can get some at a good price i dont see the value. Your not on the anchors hard enough and for long enough. I would also look into a master cylinder stopper, im not sure how much flex they have on that car

Forget the Ferodo pads. A mate of mine is the owner and proprieter of Gladstone Brake, Clutch and CV Joints. He sees stuffed rotors on a daily basis. The biggest cause of rotors requiring machining, apart from age and usage warping, is Ferodo pads. They are hard, and long lasting, because they wear disks out rather than allow the pads to wear.
Agreed, ferodo arent that much chop, but they have many different compounds. Their DS3000 track pad doesnt compare to the equivolent endless or hawk pads, but the 2500 are a ok street pad. They would be pretty good in the patrol I think (if they are made)

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
82 Posts
GU Brakes..

Hi mate,

I replaced all six rubber brake hoses with braided steel ones. That is the two pumpkin hoses and each wheel cylinder hose. It made a huge difference to the stopping capacity. That much that six of my mates who have patrol wagons and utes have all done the same. I also run Nissan pads too. My wagon has a two inch lift running 33:" muddies and my ute runs 4" lift running 35" muddies and they stop very very well. Not that expensive to do either.
Hope that helps,

rgds Keith...

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
115 Posts
Hi mate,

I replaced all six rubber brake hoses with braided steel ones. That is the two pumpkin hoses and each wheel cylinder hose. It made a huge difference to the stopping capacity. That much that six of my mates who have patrol wagons and utes have all done the same. I also run Nissan pads too. My wagon has a two inch lift running 33:" muddies and my ute runs 4" lift running 35" muddies and they stop very very well. Not that expensive to do either.
Hope that helps,

rgds Keith...
Would you mind telling us how much and from where?
Thanks

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
82 Posts
Hi Patrol Dave,

Would you mind telling us how much and from where?
Thanks

I bought them from Total Care 4wd in Sydney. From memory I think they were around the $500 mark. Worth every cent. No either of my Patrols have abs brakes.

rgds Keith..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts