Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have located a aftermarket 2 degree camber correction kit for those who have GU Patrols that have little to no camber angles.

May help to fix this speed related wheel wobble....

Tony Motsons in Brisbane Part Number SK1144, cost $214

Telephone number 07-38777766

Steve at Motsons, very helpful.... reason for only 2 degree kit is:- going above this angle may or will cause the hub parts to internally foul on each other.

Hope this is of some assistance for those with lo to no camber angles.

Cheers
My 2 bobs worth

·
Registered
612 Posts
i think you mean caster not camber

·
Registered
nissan
1,181 Posts
If it is the "caster" bushes, and not a king pin bearing kit.

Ive been looking into these as well, have you been quoted $214 on rubber or noalathane, as rubber is about $70 more expensive

Call Supension stuff (in vendor section here) think youll find they sell these (in rubber) for much cheaper than that, also it seems there is good reasons to get only the rubber ones not neopreen/nolathane etc.

I belive Pedders sell rubber ones a fair bit cheaper than $214 also

I just looked it up $170 https://www.suspensionstuff.com.au/...d=900&osCsid=64e13e3f3bc42cbadf94613799f65976

:)

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think you mean caster not camber
Exactly as said CAMBER...

If you have an alignment done....ask for a print out and check against Nissan spec's.
especially if you are getting shake and or wobble.

A4B

If it is the "caster" bushes, and not a king pin bearing kit.

Ive been looking into these as well, have you been quoted $214 on rubber or noalathane, as rubber is about $70 more expensive

Call Supension stuff (in vendor section here) think youll find they sell these (in rubber) for much cheaper than that, also it seems there is good reasons to get only the rubber ones not neopreen/nolathane etc.

I belive Pedders sell rubber ones a fair bit cheaper than $214 also

I just looked it up $170 https://www.suspensionstuff.com.au/s...94613799f65976

Mate, this is not a bushing of rubber or nolathane that you mention - this is a machined replacement part used in conjunction with the steering knuckle (KPI) bearings.

The www mentioned above is for CASTER bushings - they cannot be used to alter any CAMBER angles.

Cheers
My 2 bobs worth

·
Registered
612 Posts
mate if you need 2 deg camber correction on a live axle vehicle then you need a new diff housing as the one you have is seriously bent

·
Registered
nissan
1,181 Posts
q8160, cool thanks, the more stuff available we know about the better, sorry, a lot of people do confuse camber and caster. :) did you get a kit and fit it ?

Maybe you could post exactly what parts come in the Motson kit (save Motsons getting 50 calls about the same thing)

The camber kits i have heard of, are offset replacement king pin/cone bearings (or offset carriers for the factory bearing), and apparently ,by off setting (often just the left side) bearings you can correct camber issues, and fix tyre wear problems etc in some cars.

I would still be inclined to do the caster bushes first.

·
Registered
nissan
447 Posts
mate i have been told i have a problem with the camber in my front diff which is why it pulls to the left!! in no way would a camber problem cause wobbles in my opinion. i think these would just be masking the real problem with the front end

·
Registered
107 Posts
i thought they pulled to the left because of too much camber, not because they had not enough

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
Look here for plenty of info on this fix guy, post 11. I have a variable camber kit fitted tot he left front and fixed my problems.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/more-gu-death-wobbles-56008/

Some have suggested that Mr Nissan got the front end right and its all science...... Hmmm Not sure about that, talk to lots and lots of Nissan guys and Lots of them will tell you the front left has a problem. Just search this forum "Camber" or "Wobbles" or "GU Front End Issues" to see proof of that.

Its a big problem!

Primarily the science gets thrown out the window as the Japanese set up the front end of the Patrol for a flat road (zero road camber) and when the Patrol hits Aussie roads (big cambers in some states) it starts to scrub out front left outer edge and gets speed wobbles at 85kmh.

Have a look at the links in the other thread. I Highly recommend this fix and the "Safe-T-Steer" variable Offset King Pin bearing race.

I recently had the left side king pin bearing replaced with a 1 degree offset bearing to deal with the Aussie camber and this has SOLVED ALL MY PROBLEMS.

Check out this link for adjustable / tunable offset kingpin bearings with 1.5 degrees of offset turned into the bearing race

PATROL - Safe T Steer

SSNC-15 Fitment Guide - Safe T Steer

Best mod i have done to the GU IV without a doubt! did the leaking axle seal while i was there.

With straight tyres on (Not scrubbed out on the outer left from a bad factory setup) this mod has solved my problems

HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS TO ALL. :cup:

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi MudRunnerTD...

EXCELLENT WRITE UP -- thanks for LINKS

I am not certain which way Motsons Kit aims - IE adjustable spiggot or offset machined bearing cones.

If my GU gets the wobbles this is the first mod to be carried out

Cheers and Thanks

·
Registered
nissan
21 Posts
Q8160 what readings did yours have before the kit? I haven't had mine long and haven't had it checked yet, the factory tyres are about shot so will be doing all this soon. It does have a slight pull left so I'm just curious how bad these are. You want zero camber ideally.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Q8160 what readings did yours have before the kit? I haven't had mine long and haven't had it checked yet, the factory tyres are about shot so will be doing all this soon. It does have a slight pull left so I'm just curious how bad these are. You want zero camber ideally.
Hi, MudRunnerTD's addition/link to this thread is excellent.

Jethro (member) has been tearing his hair out, so to speak, with wheel wobble etc on his GU ute. As I am retired I deciced to try and help with doing a bit of a ring round and drag out a few very old front end books etc.

My GU is wearing the tyres very evenly and has no tendancy to walk to the left. So no camber kit has been fitted (must have been lucky and got a Wednesday built GU).

When I had new tyres fitted I had an alignment??? carried out and from memory there was .3 degrees pos camber 14.5 KPI and the toe in was set at zero.

There is a million websites that outline the reasons for camber, but the link that MudRunnerTD posted is very good.

In service tyre wear patterns will give you a pretty good indication of abnormal wear from incorrect toe in and incorrect camber.

Two GU's in the family and both do not exhibit abnormal tyre wear. 120,000 and 170,000 respectively. Later GU is still on 2nd lot of tyres.

Hope this is of some help

My 2 bobs worth

PS.. Jethro's camber is 00deg 20minutes positive.

·
Registered
612 Posts
3 deg pos camber 14.5 deg caster, i dont think so you wouldnt have any tyres after 1000 km. Patrols shouldnt have more than 20min pos camber which is 1/3 of a deg and no more than 3 deg neg caster even a strut front end car doesnt run any more than 6deg neg caster .

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the correction

3 deg pos camber 14.5 deg caster, i dont think so you wouldnt have any tyres after 1000 km. Patrols shouldnt have more than 20min pos camber which is 1/3 of a deg and no more than 3 deg neg caster even a strut front end car doesnt run any more than 6deg neg caster .
Whoops.....thanks for the kick in the shins.. was supposed to be .3 positive camber and 14.5 KPI.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts