Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. If anyone has a moment I need some help figuring out a way to sort out the clutch booster on the GU. I cant get any used or new replacement in time so need to think a little outside the box.
A little info:
I am in Central America.
A new booster from Nissan will take 3 weeks if I'm lucky and total cost around US$1400. Really need the car NOW so need to do whatever to get it on the road whilst i wait fora new booster.
Clutch is new.
Master and slave cylinders a couple years old.
Clutch went firm and squeaky on a recent trip.
I found the booster had an air leak at the fwd pushrod seal.
Haven't been able to find a used one to get the seal so I made my own seal which seams to work really well. No air leaks now and push rod slides easily in and out.

Problems i am getting now is that it feels like there is too much vacuum. The clutch is not engaging on release of the pedal well and the pedal does not return to normal position immediately. Its as though ther is not enough pressure to engage the clutch and push the pedal back out.
If i remove the vacuum hose the clutch pedal feels very firm as expected but the clutch seems to engage and disengage perfectly although very stiff the pedal has good feel full length and returns to the original position firmly.

I guess my question is can the booster have too much vacuum?
Is the fwd pushrod seal supposed to seal completely?

Any other ideas why this is happening would be a great help.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
806 Posts
You could try spacing out the master cylinder with some washers
Put the washers between the booster & the master cylinder

I had to space mine out after i got the clutch booster rebuilt on a GQ y60
I just cut some gaskets out of a sheet out gasket paper
You could cut some gaskets out of a sheet of cardboard to try (cereal box or something)

If there is a company near you that rebuilds brake boosters they should be able to rebuild your clutch booster too

·
Registered
nissan
806 Posts
With mine the clutch fluid wasn't being released back into the master cylinder
If you pressed the clutch pedal about a dozen times the pedal stayed on the floor & the pressure plate was not released, no drive in gear

If you undid the bleed nipple on the Slave cylinder fluid would squirt out and the pressure plate would release

It will only take about 2 minutes to try this solution
Undo the nuts holding the master cylinder on, pull it off the studs, place a washer on each stud & put master cylinder back on & do the nuts up

·
Registered
nissan
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried spacing it out with some washers. Didn't make much difference.
Although it does sound like a very similar issue. The clutch fluid not being pushed back into the master cylinder and after some use the clutch pedal nearly stays on the floor.
Found a replacement master cylinder today so going to try replacing that to see if helps.

Cheers for the input.

Any other ideas welcomed.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
If you can drive the car OK with the vacuum line disconnected ie if the clutch isn't too heavy, then perhaps leave it at that, rather than muck around with the booster. You might wear out the clutch plate if the booster continues to play up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts