Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all, Thinkn of slapping a set of gu diffs (complete hub to hub) under my shorty. Anyone know if all the spring, shocky and arm mounts are in the same possys? I have also heard rumours that gu housings are slightly wider track. If anyone has a set they're selling or knows anything that might help, that would be sweet.
:driving:

·
Administrator
4,576 Posts
Yes they are a straight bolt in mod. The housings are slightl wider but the best bit is the CV's are about 2cm bigger than a GQ and HEAPS stronger. You break at least one GQ CV per comp (average) but you can go years of comp work (as BIG RED had) and not break on GU CV. I have never broken a GU CV in my GQ in a couple of years of comp work now.

Reactions: Mattack84
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! Any ideas where to source a set?

·
Administrator
4,576 Posts
I personally would not bother with buying and fitting the rear GU diff. If anything just fit a 1" wheel spacer to the rear. Mine only has GU front and to look at it (on 38" or bigger rubber) you can't even tell it is slightly narrower. The GU rear is no stronger than the GQ rear and so for the dollars in buying a new diff and then fitting it I don't see how it is worth it.

I can point you in the right direction in Brisbane if that is local to you?????

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Family are on the sunnycoast, and im always down that way. Working in Mackay at the moment, but getting stuff out of brissy wont be a prob. You have a five link front end dont you? is that a bolt on kit, and are they still available?
Ben

·
Administrator
4,576 Posts
I used to have a wizard bolt in 5 link front end. Was not a drama really apart from the fact that it is not well suited to speed style offroad events so I went to dropped radius arms. You can still get the bolt in 5 link fronts from superior engineering, etc or second hand aound the place. I know of one for sale in Brisbane (think it is still for sale and was around the $550-$600 mark)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Another advantage would be bigger brakes. Disk brakes on some rear GUs. But then you could only get the disks and calipers out of a GU rear.
Front is another history. Bigger CVs and brakes.
Anyone knows if you can fit 15" wheels on GUs? Because if you swap then maybe you´ll have to go from 15" to 16"...just guessing

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Linc, could you find out if that 5 link is still available? What kit and condition? Very interested. Does a 15" rim fit on a gu front hub? And how do you get your profile photo to show whenever you post a thread?

·
Administrator
4,576 Posts
Only the later model GU's with the big big brake require a 16" rim (not sure of year models sorry) but I have 15" rims on mine.

Mate if you click on "user cp" in the black line at top of page then click "edit avatar" on the left of that screen you will see how to set an avatar to show in the threads. If you have dramas doing it then send the pic to me and I'll set it up for you.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Guys.. What about the internals of the GQ Diff? I have a GU, SWB 1997, 4.2 petrol and I'm looking for an automatic locker for the rear..Don't want to go to the trouble of something really flash (ARB Air Jobbie) as won't have the car more than a couple of years.. Could I take the internals from a LSD GQ and put them inside my GU? It doesn't get a huge punishing (just playing in the sand), but the extra traction would really help.. Otherwise the cheaper Lock Rite Lokka's don't seem to be made for the rear on a GU..

·
Registered
nissan patrol st
623 Posts
Hi Guys.. What about the internals of the GQ Diff? I have a GU, SWB 1997, 4.2 petrol and I'm looking for an automatic locker for the rear..Don't want to go to the trouble of something really flash (ARB Air Jobbie) as won't have the car more than a couple of years.. Could I take the internals from a LSD GQ and put them inside my GU? It doesn't get a huge punishing (just playing in the sand), but the extra traction would really help.. Otherwise the cheaper Lock Rite Lokka's don't seem to be made for the rear on a GU..
old thread but interested in this myself. a mate is looking at front and rear GQ diff that have arb air lockers in them for fitting to his GU. would he be able to just swap the diffs with no mods and/or would he be able to swap the internals?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
405 Posts
have pair gu housing here in hobart, no centres, no auto hubs or locking rings, rear is burnt from vehicle fire, front is ok $600

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
471 Posts
I thought that the GU front axles were to long as GQ has a spacer in the locker...either have remove the spacer or cut axles 5mm each side to fit in.

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
I've put this question in another thread but haven't had any answers.
I've got a GU front diff to put in my GQ, what is the hole in this pic for and what have people done about it??. I'm assuming it's something for the ABS braking the donor vehicle had.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts