Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
Ok cool...thanks guys. Just thinking I could just about go and get those sensors off the guy and bolt them back in, just whack the rod off close to the sensor with a grinder.

Edit: Nah cos then I would still have a small hole to deal with. The diff is going to a 4wd mate to be braced etc before I put it in
so I might just get him to weld a small blanking plate over the hole.

·
Registered
nissan
31 Posts
hey guys i just aquired s set of gu 2001 diffs disc to disc and have found the drive shaft PCD / bolt pattern is different , any one had this happen and know what to do to change it ,

i think ill probly have to keep atleast the hand break side as it cant be swapped but im pretty stumped on what to do

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
Mine is bolted in, just one swivel hub to finish reassembling, bleed brakes. Went really well....old diff came out Saturday morning.

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
hey guys i just aquired s set of gu 2001 diffs disc to disc and have found the drive shaft PCD / bolt pattern is different , any one had this happen and know what to do to change it ,
I am pretty much guessing but are the unijoints in the driveshaft the same? Get a GU driveshaft on the diff housing end, then keep the GQ driveshaft on the transfer end. I am guessing here so do your own research....

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
This swap really did go brilliantly, had no issues bleeding the brakes, steering wheel is approx 10deg out of centre but it's going in for a wheel alignment as a matter of course, everything working as it should in 4wd :p.

·
Premium Member
nissan
6,937 Posts

i think ill probly have to keep atleast the hand break side as it cant be swapped but im pretty stumped on what to do
The 2.8s had a smaller PCD on the drive shaft and diff flange. The flanges can be changed without problem so just swap the flange for your old one. The 2.8 diffs had different ratios to the 4.2s as well as the hand brake not being on the tail shaft.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes they are a straight bolt in mod. The housings are slightl wider but the best bit is the CV's are about 2cm bigger than a GQ and HEAPS stronger. You break at least one GQ CV per comp (average) but you can go years of comp work (as BIG RED had) and not break on GU CV. I have never broken a GU CV in my GQ in a couple of years of comp work now.
you said it's a straight bolt in mod I was just wondering is that the same for the front and rear diffs

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
21 - 28 of 28 Posts