Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all

Recently my guIII 4.2's drivers door has been refusing to lock both remotely and manually. Yesterday after driving, the door then wouldn't open, and this the way it has stayed despite many hours spent today trying to release it. I have been able to get acess to internal aspects of the lock and move all the levers with a hook ended bit of wire. From what I can see all the bits are moving as they should be (comparing it to the passenger side mechanism), however cannot get the door to open. This is sending me slightly mad! Is the any one out there who can offer any ideas about how I can get the door open?
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol 2003 gu
281 Posts
I could be stupid easily here! - lie flat across the front seats & kick it with both feet! Ahmmmmm crowbar! Last resort angle grinder! ?? I presume you've taken the inner trim off & gained access to the lock mechanism? The lock bolt is obviously worn & not moving when key is turned (will the key turn?) If you have auto (powered) remote, disconnect the power to it (or the battery) & prise the lock finger/tongue back. If manual then it should move (make sure the inner lever - part of the opening handle catch is undone - in the "open position" - out so the red is showing too). The lock tongue has a protrusion through it housing that you should be able to lever with a screw driver or something. Hope this helps otherwise resort to the last resort above!

·
Registered
nissan
443 Posts
Mine did this but I found that the door wasn't closed properly when locked. I had to try and slam the door closed properly before I could unlock it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't get the door trim of as the door is shut, I can gain access to the mechanism from the top when the window is down. With some long bits of hooked wire and straight tools I can manipulate the mechanism completely but still unable to open the door, I can also manipulate the lock mechanism. I have remote powered locking which still locks and unlocks the 3 other doors, I have also disconnected the battery and tried to un lock it with no luck. The door is properly shut with no difference achieved but leaning on or pulling on the door while trying to open.
The plastic locking mechanism in the door is obviously housing where the problem is, could I just smash this out, or would this achieve little?
Thanx for the replies

·
Registered
Nissan
373 Posts
I've had this happen to mine, you have to get as much of the door trim off as possible! You really have to bend the top of the door trim to get the window seal off. Once that's off you can gain access to the leavers at the lock mechanism. I found mine to start to work properly with the door trim off, put it back on and the lock stopped working but was still able to open and close the door. I got lazy and have been too cheap to replace the lock mechanism... Like most mechanics lol

·
Registered
161 Posts
try a different key. my drivers side lock will lock with original key but not unlock. got my new spare key, which does both. put old key against new and there is about a millimeter in difference. As for my passenger door, if I open it from inside the latch won't hold the door closed. But open it from the out side, presto, it works. doing my head in!!!

·
Registered
nissan
36 Posts
Hi Mate
Your lock has crapped itself. It will be the white mechanism, they simply just start to seperate and are useless. If you can (i could not so would be suprised) from the top as you say play with the rods as best as you can. I posted a while back how I ended up getting into the trim as you cannot remove whilst the door is shut. I have not worked out how to post pictures but if you PM me I took pictures in case i could help someone out.

PS. when I was looking, got the wreckers to post me one. It was buggered also and spoke to other wreckers who said they had seen a run on them. Ended up getting a new one from nissan and the parts guy confirmed they are getting alot of them now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
G'day all just thought give a courtesy update.
After a number of hours spitting the dummy, grazing knuckles and phone calls with the same answer, 'sorry mate don't know'. I decided to go the last resort. I got my longest screwdriver and a hammer and looking down from the top of the door into the window slot, just broke the top of the plastic of the door locking mechanism. Almost immediately the door popped open, and my blood pressure returned to normal almost instantly. I managed to source a second hand replacement mechanism (cos spending more money right now hurts a bit), and although when I got it home the locking mechanism needed modification for it to work, the lock is back in and all components are working. Phew!!!!!
Cheers for the replies and all

·
Registered
3 Posts
G'day all just thought give a courtesy update.
After a number of hours spitting the dummy, grazing knuckles and phone calls with the same answer, 'sorry mate don't know'. I decided to go the last resort. I got my longest screwdriver and a hammer and looking down from the top of the door into the window slot, just broke the top of the plastic of the door locking mechanism. Almost immediately the door popped open, and my blood pressure returned to normal almost instantly. I managed to source a second hand replacement mechanism (cos spending more money right now hurts a bit), and although when I got it home the locking mechanism needed modification for it to work, the lock is back in and all components are working. Phew!!!!!
Cheers for the replies and all

·
Registered
3 Posts
G’day Light said - I have just had RACQ mobile operator tell me that in 30 years he had not previously confronted this problem. Nissan have advised that they will do as you have done to open the door but run the risk of the door flying open after releasing the lock using the same method you did.....was this the case with your door? I will need to do the same as you did so if you could let me know the details I will be eternally grateful and owe you some cold beer!

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
14,421 Posts
G’day Light said - I have just had RACQ mobile operator tell me that in 30 years he had not previously confronted this problem. Nissan have advised that they will do as you have done to open the door but run the risk of the door flying open after releasing the lock using the same method you did.....was this the case with your door? I will need to do the same as you did so if you could let me know the details I will be eternally grateful and owe you some cold beer!
Hasn’t been around a while.
934653D2-871A-4D66-B1DE-7DBCB48A6296.png

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,318 Posts
With a lot of persistence mine opened with a bent piece of wire fiddling around under the rear end of the white mechanism from the outer side, working from top down because in a GU IV there is zero chance of removing door trim with door closed, unless you’re willing to do a fair bit of damage.

I bought a brand new genuine white thingy from Nissan, didn’t want to mess around with that happening again.

Nevertheless, a couple of months later I noted something still wasn’t 100% as the central locking didn’t lock that door every time.

I stopped messing around down the shallow end and just fitted another aftermarket central locking actuator in parallel with the factory unit and now it makes a very solid clunk and locks the crap out of it lol

Reactions: Braford

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks of your reply!....I have ordered a new part from Nissan - not going through this nonsense again. I intend driving back to Rockhampton when the part arrives, they can open the door and fit it and then it will be warrantied. Thanks for the heads up!!!...will make a rod up n’ have a crack with that. I did see the window opening is able to be expanded without damage using 2 x nylon wedges (RACQ bag of tricks) to allow reasonable access and good torch light.

·
Registered
Nissan
193 Posts
I had my driver door lock mechanism fail on my 04 GU ute I couldn't even shut my door and had to drive 100 k's to the place to fix holding the bloody thing shut with a strap wound round it but still wanted to fly open each corner, ordered part from Nissan and paid the $460 price plus $110 fitting the part was fitted and then door would not lock, then Nissan replaced a week later with a faultless part. Not a fun experience but works now.

Sorry to hear others have had this problem or variations of it, it's not just me but Nissan made out it was a one off but strangely the dealer had the part in stock...! LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts