Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan GU III Patrol lwb
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeking any similar experiences prior to going to Nissan.

Background - last Xmas my GU had it's first mechanical fault since new and I ended up replacing the belt, pulley and tensioner assembly and alternator at one fell swoop - as I was out of town with limited garage / tools access I had Nissan in Adelaide perform the work - $1300 thank-you very much. I now know this is a common fault thanks to this forum!:rolleyes:

Whilst replacing my suspension and extended brake hoses etc last weekend I noticed the new belt was starting to fray and de-laminate laterally - the first 2mm of the belt is starting to come away from the rest of the belt over a 30cm length. I suspect this is damage caused to the belt (genuine Nissan) but Unley Nissan when they performed the work at Xmas.

The vehicle has only clocked 10k since Xmas - mostly bitumen and 'normal' dirt roads - nothing extreme or likely to have caused the damage. The belt does not squeak and everything else appears normal.

Does any one have similar experiences?

Cheers all.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,706 Posts
My GU has done 210,000km on the origional belt and tensioner. It is finally starting to get noisy now.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Nope, I just replaced a belt after 160k and it probably could have stayed on, no signs of extreme wear at all, only reason I did was to change out the tensioner and pully which was flogged out.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Id'e take it to a dealer and ask WTF.

·
Elmo
Nissan
4,899 Posts
You guys obviously don't go through much water & mud.

On my 3rd tensionor pulley,
3rd fan belt,
2nd alternator
2nd aircon compressor after 2 years :(

Shouldn't be complaining. KM 145,000

·
Registered
Nissan GU III Patrol lwb
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would love to take it make to the dealer jeffs5, but that is interstate (i'm in Melbourne) and I cannot justify the cost! However I will be calling them later this arvo and asking the question. I have never experienced a belt with such low k's having this kind of damage before.

·
Registered
Nissan GU III Patrol lwb
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Deccers - hope you have at least had some fun for the $ spent! I love mud as much as the next man but that is a high attrition rate... This is the first faulty I have had on this car in 8 years so cannot really complain. It is annoying to think it was caused by a garage junior though when I perform 99% of the servicing on my vehicles myself.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
I would love to take it make to the dealer jeffs5, but that is interstate (i'm in Melbourne) and I cannot justify the cost! However I will be calling them later this arvo and asking the question. I have never experienced a belt with such low k's having this kind of damage before.
Take it to one there and ask the same thing about there product. :)

·
Registered
nissan
75 Posts
use comodore pulley

I used a VT bomodore pulley. About 5mm larger in diameter. bomodore pulley and bearing $22, Nissan wanna sell u the whole front of the engine for $320.

·
Registered
223 Posts
As it is a genuine Nissan belt and fitted by a Nissan Dealer, it should carry a 12 month Nation Wide warranty. A Nssan dealer in Melbourne should be able to sort it out.

·
Registered
nissan
253 Posts
Hey kiwipatrol, was the conversion to a dunnydoor pully a straight swap?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
x2 for the 20.000 / 12 months.

cheers DD.

·
Registered
9,764 Posts
I used a VT bomodore pulley. About 5mm larger in diameter. bomodore pulley and bearing $22, Nissan wanna sell u the whole front of the engine for $320.
Yes same here, I'm interested in what you replaced?
Just the pulley and centre bearing?, did it fit straight on the shaft with out a spacer?
Surely the whole tensioner device is not the same sixe tension and bolt hole, or Is It?

·
Registered
Nissan GU III Patrol lwb
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thought I would post a quick update.

Called the mob that did the original work (Unley Nissan in Adelaide) explain the damage and background, no argument - they told me it should not be like that and stated they are posting me a brand new replacement - to throw the damaged one in the bin.

Great service and a happy outcome.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Good news.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.