Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Im going to change my front springs and shocks on my GU this weekend, I have never done this before, I changed the rears a few years ago, so apart from the safety of car stands and wheel chocks, anyone got any advice on how to do it? do I need spring compressors? I am replacing the standard springs with Kings with 50mm lift, KDFR42

any advice is appreciated

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
try the suspension section... trillion threads there.

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
i have changed a few now and you will need spring compressors. put them on and crank them down abit before you start to jack the car up. make sure both front tyres are off the ground so the diff can move enough to get them out. pretty straight forward job, just keep an eye on the brake line.

·
Registered
nissan
1,193 Posts
I fitted a 2" lift on my GU and didnt need spring compressors ?, do remember to un-bolt the sway bay.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I fitted 3" springs in mine without spring compressors.
I think jacking the chassis as high as safely possible is the key.

I think this is why shavedtoy needed compressors "make sure both front tyres are off the ground so the diff can move enough to get them out".
I took my wheels off once the chassis was on stands and then you can drop the diff right down.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I fitted 3" springs in mine without spring compressors.
I think jacking the chassis as high as safely possible is the key.

I think this is why shavedtoy needed compressors "make sure both front tyres are off the ground so the diff can move enough to get them out".
I took my wheels off once the chassis was on stands and then you can drop the diff right down.
Just watch the rubber brake line. You will probably need to undo the mounting bolt holding the pipe junction block to the diff at the end of the brake pipe so it can give you another inch or so of clearance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts