Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu3 4.8
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I am thining of to replace the oxygen sensor(s) of my GU. How many does it have, I am not sure it its just one or two of them. I am thinking of buying a universal unit to save money so I need to know how many wire does 02 GU 4.8 O2 sensor have? Does supercheap or Repco or Sprint stock them?

Reason I want to replace them is that it runs rough in mornings and I noticed a high fuel usage. And also I have LPG on the vehicle and i hear that the LPG kills the sensors quickier. Cheaper option to check before i move on to valves, etc.

Any help asap will be good! Thanks

·
Registered
473 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
38 Posts
automotive solutions they have universal ones cant remember price but way less than sprints trade price

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu3 4.8
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys , thanks for the advice.. on ebay there are universal ones for sale.. with 3 wire but 12 volt heater wire? will it suit?

·
Registered
846 Posts
stay away from ebay, buy Bosch universal from Repco or similar. Don't know about the 4.8, but retail for the universal single wire Bosch one in the TB45 was only $80 at Repco.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu3 4.8
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice.. I kinda of knew that I should stay away from ebay for these things..

Any one know whether the oxygen sensors are the same between the 4.5 earlier GU 2 models and the 4.8 GU 3 models?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cheaper option to check before i move on to valves, etc.

Any help asap will be good! Thanks
Checking the valves is free. Just a bit of time. Pays to keep an eye on the valves if on gas. I just did mine. All the exhaust shims needed around .005" off em.

Main thing with fitting O2 sensors, is make sure each one is connected to the correct plug from the loom.

I used the ASS bosch ones. Bit fiddly joining the wires but easy enough job.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu3 4.8
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks speedwayaus,

I am no mechanic and i can only do oil changes.. :)

quoted some hundreds to have them checked and adjusted...

U from adelaide? i could get you to do them?:D

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu3 4.8
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used the ASS bosch ones. Bit fiddly joining the wires but easy enough job.[/QUOTE]

Wondering how much did you get the ASS bosch ones and where from?

·
Registered
58 Posts
i had to change mine as they were causing the engine light to come on and go into limp mode, usually when i was 3 hours from home (happened twice, not a happy camper). i replaced them with genuine as i got a good deal through the nissan dealership (wtf????) at $300 for both.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
With something such as an O2 sensor that is the first and last line of defence against an engine rebuild I cannot fathom why you are even contemplating non-genuine??

·
Registered
846 Posts
With something such as an O2 sensor that is the first and last line of defence against an engine rebuild I cannot fathom why you are even contemplating non-genuine??
Tell that to my TB42 carby engine which has spent 19 years without an O2 sensor and is still going strong. On my TB45E the O2 sensor is only used at low to medium throttle. With more throttle it is designed to run open loop rich, so I don't see how the O2 sensor can damage the engine. It is primarily there to save fuel and emissions at normal cruise settings. The TB48 might use the O2 sensors over a wider range (it does have 2 heated sensors, compared to 1 unheated on the TB45E) but I bet when the engine is working hard it runs open loop rich.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu3 4.8
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
True.. but I have a bit of poor idling, its not too bad.. just a bit shaky at idle but after 15 or more minutes of driving it seems to improve a bit to better idling, not completely anyway

·
Registered
473 Posts
No different really, to buying spark plugs.. The "genuine" ones come in a "Nissan" coloured box w/- a Nissan part#... Open the box, and out comes a NGK plug identical in every respect to the ones ya can buy at Repco, [email protected] etc in a purty yella box ;)

Same deal with the O2 sensors.. The "genuine" ones are Bosch (w/- a Nissan part#)..
The only difference here (apart from the obscene price that Nissan is asking), is the plug on the end of the wires.. bit fiddly to splice the original plug onto the wires, but the Bosch generics come with the necessary joiners & detailed instructions on how to do this, so it's not a problem...
The generics certainly made the problem I was having with my 'Check Engine Light' go away, so I'm a happy chappy :)

WRT the spark plugs, as strange as it may seem, the "genuine" ones were quite a bit cheaper than the (identical) ones in the yella box, so I bought "genuine"... :rofl:

:cheers:

·
Registered
nissan
210 Posts
I got generic Bosch ones from this mob >> Automotive Service Solutions, Supplying Quality Automotive Workshop Equipment and EFI Parts to the Automotive Repair Professional for about 1/4 the price that Nissan were asking... (the "genuine" ones are Bosch also)..
Ed C - If I am ever in Toowooba I owe you a beer. Just rang Repco and they quoted me $331 each for generic sensors. I then called Automotive Services and got them for $64 each!! That's quite a saving from your helpful link!!

·
Registered
nissan
210 Posts
Main thing with fitting O2 sensors, is make sure each one is connected to the correct plug from the loom
erm.....I fitted the Bosch O2 sensors yesterday and took her for a spin today and she runs like a dream (no kidding, better than she has ever ran) however she is using just as much, if not more, fuel.

Is it possible I have the sensors the wrong way around? How would I tell?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
9 Posts
Swap them over and drive it. You'll then know which way is the right and wrong way!
If they are on the wrong way around it will idle rough and feel as thou its missing until you get up in the rev range.

·
Registered
nissan
1 Posts
Hey all first post!
Have just recently bought a dual fuel 2003 patrol
that seems to be displaying the symptoms of a switched around
O2 lead
Forgive me for a silly question - I have searched!
Where are the plugs located?
On the cat?

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
22 Posts
O2 Sensor GUIII 03

Thanks guy's good information. Can somebody provide a part number for the Bosch O2 sensors, I'm struggling to find a p/n for these units. Auto 1 here in Melbourne are offering me a aftermarket unit from PAT Premier, Part Number EGO-345 which is the same unit used in the Pulsar N16. Not confident with a brand I never heard of.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
325 Posts
Can't tell you part no, but my wife had a pulsar N16 and they take the same spark plugs as my 4.8 so wouldn't surprise if other stuff matches like the coil packs would too

1 - 20 of 24 Posts