Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU iii
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I am the proud new owner of a 2002 GU III 4.2TD Patrol.

I am sure you all get this pretty regularly but I am chasing thoughts on a few modifications I have in mind and a lot of the threads on this are pretty old.

Currently it is very stock mechanically. Only modifications that have been done are to the suspension (had raw nitro on it when I bought it) and the Mickey Thompson ATZ P3s I put on it the day I picked it up.

It has quite low Ks for its age and has been well maintained.

Now for the hornets nest:

I am trying to work out the best way to invest the money I had set aside for a suspension upgrade on attaining a reliable and driveable power increase.

I had always intended to do a 3" exhaust upgrade (thinking an aluminised system) and now after a bit of research here, drop in an EGT sensor and gauge.

Along with this I am thinking about a front mounted intercooler. My current idea is putting it low mounted in the alloy bar I have which would allow for a larger cooler. Of course there are pros and cons of all types and positions. Does anyone know of any IC being mounted there before?
How much would the increased piping affect throttle response?
Would the increase in size I can get by placing it there be offset by pipe length etc?

Any ideas / recommendations of manufacturers for the project would be welcome.
Also for mechanics and tuners would be much appreciated.

I am in Brisbane so places in the area would suit.

Well I have a few more ideas rolling around but I guess this is a good start.

OK discuss... (Please):confused:

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,868 Posts
Welcome to our humble forum Scottie, one of our 4.2 aficionados will be with you shortly I'm sure.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
G'day Scottie and welcome. Mighty fine car you have there :)

I've just bought a non intercooled TD42T and have been mulling over options. I'll be interested to see what ppl suggest for your car. Does it have an I/C at the moment?

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU iii
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys and thanks for the welcomes!

Burra boy mine is also a non intercooled turbo model.

Options I am looking at for front or top mount intercooler have different issues to overcome.

For both there is the issue of no existing mounts so either one requires some hunting around at wreckers or fabrication.

Top mount would be less effective at lower speeds due to engine heat and little force through scoop ... oh yeah and have to cut a big gaping hole in the bonnet.

Then to do front mount I'd have to relocate other coolers to fit it in front of radiator reducing the radiators efficiency thereby increasing engine heat.

Finally theres the lower front mount option which would pretty much mean I couldn't fit a winch without relocating it to in front of radiator. The lower position would also be more likely to be damaged offroad and has longer piping to consider.

Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,868 Posts
There are a number of threads on front mount IC's, I've seen one going somehwere recently, anyway go to the top of this page and in the LH corner "Google Custom Search" type in Front mount intercooler and you will get pages of threads to check.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU iii
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GeeYouToo,

Cheers for the directions mate :cheers:

Jeers to me finding a weeks worth of mods / projects in the archives to do in my holidays :ranting:

Scottie

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Hey Scottie, nice truck well done. A new turbo is the best money you can spend on a TD42...coupled with a minimum 3" exhaust. I'm not a fan of FMIC and I've ranted about that on existing TMIC v FMIC threads so I won't regurgitate it here. Only one other person on this forum seems to get it and agree with me on that but I'll let you do the reading and make your own mind up. Either way they are a good investment. Other than that it's just a few gauges and a better airbox lid and your on your way.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU iii
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks timo,

I hadn't thought about the airbox lid, was just considering changing up the internals.

If you don't mind me asking what are the limitations of the existing airbox?

Scottie

·
Registered
297 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Definitely worth a read of oldmavs posts as he does a lot of testing and some very detailed write ups. To summarise and answer your specific question: the standard airbox cannot flow enough air for a modified td42. The lid is the biggest restriction and even without a filter fitted my silicon elbow on the turbo was collapsing under the vacuum. The entry into the airbox and lack of air gap around the filter is the next issue. Most of the incoming air concentrates on the area of the filter directly opposite the entry port so the rest of the filter isn't being utilised effectively. The airbox lid mod and k&n significantly improve these two issues but they don't solve them completely as the airbox simple isn't big enough. It does work but at the expense of filtration quality.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts