Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 ZD30 GU Patrol cranks no problem but has struggled to start for the past 3 months. I live in the Pilbara which is hot, humid and dusty.

I have a new MAF, fuel cutoff solenoid, battery, alternator, starter motor, crank angle sensor... so I can likely rule them out as causes. Immobiliser works fine too. Doesn't seem to be any pattern as to when it decides to not work, but it is just getting worse and worse.

Mechanic said several earth wires have corroded, he tightened them up and cleaned them a bit which has helped a little.

Sometimes it will only start if I put my foot on the gas when I crank it though (as suggested by the mechanic), but even then it can take 3-4 attempts cranking for 2-5 seconds each time to avoid flooding the engine. Manually priming fuel has same result - sometimes works sometimes doesn't so the fact it starts seems to be more coincidence than both of the above actually helping.

He also said there was a fuel pump fault code. I can hear the signal going to the pump and i can hear noises when I put my ear up to it when the engine is running, so it does seem fine but it is throwing out a code77 apparently. When the car is running there are no problems with lack of power - though being in the Pilbara there are very few hills around to test it under load.

I just want to not have to get in my car and wonder if it will or wont go every time. The fuel filter is relatively new, but I have filled up at servo nearby notorious for having dodgy diesel (before I was made aware of this fact), could that cause this issue?

I have spent near $2000 trying to solve this problem through Nissan, auto sparkies and mechanics, and I want to be confident whatever is done next will fix it for good before putting any more money on it. If it ends up been another $5-6k job I may as well get a new car!

So, anyone have helpful advice? I am relatively okay at DIY, but only have basic tools up here with me.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Where did you spend the $2000. Just good to know what has been done before we try and troubleshoot.
Was this problem there before the new fuel filter.;)

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$2000-odd has been spent on new crank angle sensor, cutoff solenoid, starter motor, cleaning (but not fixing/replacing) corroded wires/earths and labor costs.

The problem started about 3 months ago around the same time the starter motor died. Replacing the starter didn't solve the problem. At first it would only happen once or twice a week, now it happens almost every time I start it.

MAF, alternator, fuel filter and batteries are all about a year old so they were replaced before this started happening.

It is very annoying to have had Nissan, a mechanic I do trust and an auto sparky all look at it it and fix what they think is wrong to no avail. The last one (autosparky) did note the fuel pump code but didn't do anything about it - said if it doesn't start just give it a bit of gas when cranking and it should be fine. As mentioned before, that doesn't work every time either.

·
Registered
310 Posts
did the problems start after a fuel filter change?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,284 Posts
You don't mention codes. There should be a heap of old and new codes in the ECU, I start by deleting them (disconnect battery for 10-15 minutes) start again and retrieve new codes (see bible in archives for details if you don't have an ECUTalk), this should give you clues. There are a few codes for the pump, ie a P73 pump comm code will not allow you to start, but turn ignition off and next time it might, strange beasties these.

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^I don't have a code reader (left it at the farm with all my nice tools :|) up here, but I'm pretty sure the sparky mentioned a code 77 which I believe is related to the fuel pump from reading other threads.

I'm just not sure the fuel pump is the issue though as I took the cover off in the boot and can hear it working when the car does start. And there are no problems with power when it does start.

Maybe faulty wiring/relay throwing a dirty signal preventing it from working every time?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,284 Posts
^^I don't have a code reader (left it at the farm with all my nice tools :|) up here, but I'm pretty sure the sparky mentioned a code 77 which I believe is related to the fuel pump from reading other threads.

I'm just not sure the fuel pump is the issue though as I took the cover off in the boot and can hear it working when the car does start. And there are no problems with power when it does start.

Maybe faulty wiring/relay throwing a dirty signal preventing it from working every time?
You can extract the codes manually, the details of how are around page 26 in the bible I mentioned. I'm not saying the IP is the issue but, other things can cause that code to come up and it won't start, bad earths can cause this as well, there are 6 or 7 pump codes, 7 is their area.

Mine will occasionally throw a pump code but I know the pump is fine, there are a lot of mods on mine.

There is a list of the common codes in the bible in the same page range as above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts