Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gday guys, have done a little bit of reading regarding the engine leaks that some guys have been encountering in their zd30s. well i was under the goonie today and noticed a small leak that looks like its coming from the bellhousing bolts on the underside (closest to the sump). see below

it doesnt look like much but im trying to be a bit of a stickler with the patrol and fixing things before they turn fowl. so my questions are:

1. does this look like rear main seal or sump gasket?
2. my oil light has been staying on, only very rarely, could this have something to do with it?

thanks in advance guys

cheers

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump, anyone?

·
Registered
11 Posts
G´Day,

Hope my below experiences help you and others to solve this traitorous oil leakage:

History:

Mine blown up after 180ths Km, made a general repair one year ago and put new parts and sealings without saving money to ensure the peacefull Kms. Till yesterday the truck had oil leak and it was a big challenge to find out from where? Yesterday thanks to enormous increasing of leakage I noticed that it comes from the place where the oil level measuring tube is ending on the engine body...!!! I opened the screw from the top to disassemble the tube and noticed that it was free from blow...!!! After removing the tube, found out that the small piece (with "O" ring ) which should guide and secure the tube on the engine is totaly forced in to the engine body and does not give enough support. To bring it out, I made a hook on the top of a long and thin metal bar and tried to insert to the small hole, hang and force it back upside. After 5 mintes of try it was out .:iconbana:The attached pictures may help more. Unfortunatly it is not possible to take a picture from the hole in engine body where the oil level measuring tube goes but for sure everybody easily could find it.

Solution:

I asked one of friends to make a piece, same in diameter but a bit more longer, to give better support to the oil level measurment tube and fit enough to stop a low/high oil leakage.

This may happen to everybody due to the tube shakes and small lenght of the supporting piece in the engine body and better solve it sooner.

Good Luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
928 Posts
chuckles mine has a small leak from the exact same place. i find it's alot worse if the engine is even slightest bit overfull of oil. Im pretty certain it will be the rear engine seal but i cant be bothered changing it for the sake of a tiny oil leak. I find if im really fussy on filling the oil to the correct level.

I usually put 7.5l in idle then shut it off and check it again. I use good quality 15w 40. i've tried thinner full synthetics (5w 40) before but they make it alot worse. I've just put in some engine stop leak in to try that. i'll post if there is any change in a few weeks.

·
Registered
nissan
173 Posts
Your oil light is a series IV problem there are 2 oil sensors one high and one low they receive to much voltage and chatter from the source and end up dying the fix is 2 new sensors and a clip in panel near the kickboard on the drivers side parts total should be about $100 bucks but changing the sensors is a bi^%h of a job requiring some flexy tools to get the one between the starter motor and engine the other is under the turbo my advice get a mechanic to change the sensors cause if they fudge it they are responsible, oh and the sensors are different part numbers. Your oil leak could be as above or yes your rear main seal I have the same thing I will now check my filler tube to rule that out cause yeah the cost is great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts