Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all i have a 2005 guiv 3.o litre auto,and i,m thinking of upgrading to a new common rail patrol.

Do i do it or keep the one i,ve got

Are they better or not,i've had no problems with the current car and it,s done 90,000 kms

Your comments would be greatley respected.

Cheers Darren

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Don't quite understand the "GU or GR" heading but anyway...

Whats triggering the thoughts of upgrading. Apart from the major changes to the engine fueling the rest of the truck is same old same old really.

There is no 'leap' in performance or driveability etc.

·
Registered
nissan
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the common rails more powerfull, reliable or should i save my money and keep the one i,ve got.....

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Are the common rails more powerfull, reliable or should i save my money and keep the one i,ve got.....
Well, they are a sight more expensive to fix if you do an injector or a pump thats for sure... after that everything is pretty much interchangeable the CRD's go a bit better lower down but not earth shatteringly so and use a touch more fuel (some use a heap more but no-one knows definitively why)

My CRD has close to 90,000 on it now and has had its share of hard work and bits replaced under warranty but I don't thing a Di would have faired any better or worse.

I ended up with it as I needed something younger than '07 due to Leasing Taxation regs.

I'd prob keep my cash and stick with the GUIV with only 90,000 on it... remember if you upgrade a lot of cash disappears as Stamp Duty and Commissions or modding something to get what you had.

You don't have to worry about the early ZD30 issues with a series 4 so unless there was other reasons that is my opinion

·
Registered
Nissan
616 Posts
Obviously your not happy with the GU IV. Buy the new one, you only live once so you may aswell have what you want!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
I can't say I'd buy a common rail because they seem more prone to problems... expensive ones. Then again, if you're buying brand new I'd definetly go for extended warranty.

·
Registered
Nissan
338 Posts
Test drive the Patrol before buying

Read reviews on history of Patrols before buying

Budget before buying

Test drive other cars

and repeat.

Thats how I make the choice of buying a new car, and I'm really happy of the choice I made.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
Don't leave us hanging dude... what problems?
The injector nozzles don't last as long as the old mechanical injectors. They were out quickly and start to drink fuel and blow heaps of smoke. I guess when you compare the mechanical fuel pressure of say 500psi to common rail pressure of 30,000psi you can tell which one will rip the nozzles apart with the slightest bit of dirt or moisture.
The Patrols aren't too bad but the D40 Navara YD25 are the worst ones. I've changed heaps of injectors under warranty, mostly under 60,000km. I did a set the otherday on a Navara with 10,000km on it. The Patrols have a more reliable Bosch system, where the Navara has a Denso (Toyota) system... Enough said.
I'm not saying common rail is a bad thing. It just doesn't take contamination very well in comparison, and at around $1000 each per injector and $3000 for a pump for a Navara I think I'll keep away from CR. You just need to keep dirt/ water/ unleaded well away from your fuel system and you'll be better off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts