Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I have been having a few problems with my cars heating, it is a 1999 gu 2.8td. I bought the car with suspected head problems, the car was over heating. I then discovered the that the bottom radiator hose was was cold when it overheated. So I changed the thermostat, waterpump and got the radiator flushed (it was 90% blocked). It has been running fine and stopped overheating. I just had cheap coolant in it for a week to make sure it wasn't going to overheat.

Last week I drained the coolant and changed it to some decent stuff. It was running fine and then I went on a 2 hour drive up north. For about an hour it was doing great sitting on 100kmph with the aircon on. Then I got to the 110km zone and after about 10 mins it started over heating! I pulled over to find that coolant was leaking out the cap everywhere. I put some more coolant in and waited for it to cool down. Then I turned the aircon off and sat on 100kmph for another hour and it was fine.

I am pretty sure I am filling the coolant up right and letting it run for 15-20 mins topping it up when needed.

It seems that the cooling system is really pressurized? Can anyone help? are they meant to be so pressurized?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
Nissan
55 Posts
Sounds like head gasket has broken between a cylinder and a water gallery. Pressurizing the cooling system. Same thing happened to my mini... Not the first time I've seen it.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
These beasts need special bleeding process to make sure there are no bubbles in system.
Give the search a quick go as there are many threads on this.
Did it overheat on a long slow hill climb or flat 110km/h freeway? As the higher speed hot days can push a suspect engine to the limit.

·
Registered
Nissan
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
can anyone explain how to bleed these, search isn't loading for me??

·
Registered
NISSAN GU PATROL
694 Posts
sounds like head gasket has broken between a cylinder and a water gallery. Pressurizing the cooling system. Same thing happened to my mini... Not the first time i've seen it.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Never heard of a special bleed process? Fill the radiator from the radiator cap - to the top, put the radiator cap back on, then take the cap off the reserve tank, fill the reserve tank til the liquid is above the hose from the radiator. Then get it running til its warm so the thermostate opens, just keep topping up the reserve tank for 10 mins or so.

This would seem more like common sense?

EDIT; Well seems my 2.8 does not have this bleed screw :S

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/niss...verick-11/overheating-1995-2-8td-wagon-25732/

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/niss...k-11/2-8-diesel-cooling-system-bleeder-18211/

·
Registered
nissan patrol
315 Posts
they dont like getting hot.. even once. ive done a head and that was when it had done only 110 thou.

sounds like an airlock though, dont be in a hurry to put the cap on, get everything to normal temp without the cap and dont put it on untill there are no bubbles coming up. give the hoses and stuff a bit of a squeese too. if it starts to froth and/or overflow constantly, you have a $2000 problem.

·
Registered
nissan
44 Posts
(changed the thermostat, waterpump and got the radiator flushed (I pulled over to find that coolant was leaking out the cap everywhere)....)......sounds like the radiator cap.

·
Registered
Nissan
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i just don't see how it ran fine sitting on 100kms then on 110km on a slight hill it overheated.

After driving normally around the street, temp running fine when I check the filler cap, should it be pressurized ?

·
Registered
Nissan
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok i took a video today because what it is doing i don't think is normal. is it meant to be pushing out so much air?? any help would be great asap because I am meant to be going away tomorrow arvo

watch it here

View My Video

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Blown headgasket anybody?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
ok i took a video today because what it is doing i don't think is normal. is it meant to be pushing out so much air?? any help would be great asap because I am meant to be going away tomorrow arvo

watch it here

View My Video
Mate if your system is fully bled then no there should not be. There should be just quiet turbulence as the water pushes across the tank.

I used to own a device years ago that detected exhaust fumes in the heat exchanger, not sure if they are still around, but someone may have one.

From that video it certainly looks like a weeping head gasket.

·
Registered
Nissan
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well ive let it run for about 25 mins and it constantly does this?? there couldn't be that much air in the system even if it wasn't bled properly.

I just spent $1700 on new tyres as well :(

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
well ive let it run for about 25 mins and it constantly does this?? there couldn't be that much air in the system even if it wasn't bled properly.

I just spent $1700 on new tyres as well :(
Sorry mate but I think the news is all bad, Don't know where you live but if your not too rural you should be able to get it looked at reasonably quickly.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Radiator shops should be able to use a tool (dont know name of it) to test the radiator coolant for exhaust gas. Worth calling your local Rad shop to find out if they can do it.

·
Registered
Nissan
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah i can do a co2 test on it my friend has the tool, but yeah didn't want to jump to conclusions and pull the head off so might see how that goes.

I'm just wondering if I can still take it tomorrow when I go away for a couple of days. It's only a 1 and a half hour drive so I might be able to just cruise on 100kms. Doesn't seem to over heat on 100kms, although i just got new 33's so might make the car have to work a bit harder :S

1 - 17 of 17 Posts