Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU Series1
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My patrol seems to be stuck in 4H/4L and can't seem to stick it into 2H no matter how hard I push the lever up. I've had various advise like jack the rear end up and it will unwind your gear box, so I've done that still not working. I've also tried to make sure all the electrical cables around the gearbox/transfer case weren't loose, but still doesn't work. Now I'm stumped as to why it won't let me drive in 2H or 2WD so to speak.

Anyone else been in this situation and can help me out here as I'm going up the beach in a couple of days and stressing out that i can't now :( :(

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU Series1
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah mate reversed them drove forward, heard the hubs click and usually that's my key to slide the stick to 2H but this time it doesn't let me

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
This might be a dumb question.

Are you pushing down and then forward? Thats what I have to do GQ you can't just push forward for 2H

·
Registered
nissan
276 Posts
If its an auto try slipping it into neutral & shifting on & out of hi/low a few times them try 2wd

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,045 Posts
Or if it's auto I have to sometimes pop it into neutral and let it roll back or forward a little and then it slides into 2h easy. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU Series1
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the tips guys. I've tried forward and backward movements before trying to get it into 2H and this is both in lock/ free hub positions. I've tried putting straight force onto the stick and pushing it down on an angle but doesn't even get the grinding noise of the gears trying to bite. Thanks for all your help guys but it could be worth dropping the transfer out and having a look more closely.

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
ok, if its a manual, put it in 3rd gear, 4Hi. roll it down a hill at about 20kph, Then Clutch in, Put some pressure on it into 2hi, (leaving it in gear while rolling). now release clutch slowly. . . . .

This will put pressure on your gears to merge since your entire tranny will be trying to turn slowly being driven by your driveshaft. it should "grrr . . Clunk" into 2hi.

If it doesn't . . . open it up.

·
Registered
nissan
270 Posts
Oh no how terrible. Your patrol is stuck in 4wd! you will just have to drive it on dirt roads only, without toching the blacktop.

How on earth will you survive???

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
My dad had one in his workshop that did the same thing. This truck ended up with a damaged or bent pin (don't quote me). He had to take out the shift stick & repair it. But yours could be something else. Thought I'd throw that in incase it might help.

·
Registered
Nissan
8 Posts
Hey lads, I had this issue myself today. Figured I would post up what I found the be the solution in my case, as I haven't seen it posted yet.
When you push DOWN to go from 4H to 4L, mine was sticky an didn't pop back UP. This prevented me from afterwards shifting from H4 to H2, just simply pull the lever UP an push her forward! Hopefully most of them are as easy as this to fix ?

Reactions: edb
1 - 13 of 13 Posts