Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have noticed that a number of people on this thread recommend Firestone 5429 bags. I plan on buying bags with mounts from airbag Man. When contacted they suggested that 5429 will give 4" lift.
My priority is to be able to sit on the bump stops (possibly cut down a bit) when aired out and to have optimum ride quality at standard height to 2" lift.
As someone else noted, Airbag Man don't quote part numbers, but would I be better off with what they refer to as 'standard to 2" lift' or will the 5429 do everything I want?

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
I have noticed that a number of people on this thread recommend Firestone 5429 bags. I plan on buying bags with mounts from airbag Man. When contacted they suggested that 5429 will give 4" lift.
My priority is to be able to sit on the bump stops (possibly cut down a bit) when aired out and to have optimum ride quality at standard height to 2" lift.
As someone else noted, Airbag Man don't quote part numbers, but would I be better off with what they refer to as 'standard to 2" lift' or will the 5429 do everything I want?
Hi Boltz, Yes it is a pain that AirBag Man use their own part numbers and carefully avoid any mention of the Firestone parts. This is deliberate for their sales in kit form, but it does make it bloody difficult for those of us who want to know more specific information on what we are actually getting.

This is what they initially sold me as a 0 to 2" lift. It had bags that were really way too short barely 2" at full height and you can't possibly drive it at full height. Also, the very short bags had pretty harsh bumpy ride quality. The bags were Firestone Bag Bellows part 1T14C1, Bag with base piston, and internal bump stop 5311 (left side are front kit Airbag Man part OA 4513, and right rear kit OA4512).

Tire Camera lens Automotive tire Wheel Camera accessory

You can get online to Truck Springs in Michigan USA and look at all the diagrams and measurements of bags and find part numbers. But for Australia, you require bags that have an internal bump stop of their own and the only way is to get the few part numbers that show the internal bump stop in their cutaway diagram, so it can be very time-consuming and confusing going searching yourself via part numbers.

I will find my list and some diagrams later tonight for some guidance.

Bag with base piston and bump stop 5311

I have since changed the bags to a longer 1T14C-3, which came from AirBag Man and are Firestone part W01-358-5412 These bags were another three inches longer which gives a nicer ride and a bit more height adjustment within the comfort zone. I can drop down onto the bump stops. But it does take a bit of set-up to get the angles right to drop down and not have it hit off centre and damage the bag. The Airbag Man base brackets were Not very well aligned for this.

The 5429 bags are considerably longer (nearly 8 inches longer than the original AirBag kit I got, and 4.6 longer than what I use now.), which gives a much softer ride and a lot more height adjustment. But you will need to modify the Airbag Man kit brackets in order to drop down onto the bump stops and not pinch a bag.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,624 Posts
Boltz, the ride height of the airbag is critical. Firestone give an operating range of each airbag in terms of height, and it is a very small window for perfect operation. So to install a taller bag, and simply set them lower to suit your vehicle means they will be outside of their specification for operating height. So if you want to run the taller bag you will need to make your own mounts to get it lower than Airbag man stuff.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey Geordie, thanks for taking the time to share that info. Thanks for your input also Shayne.
After further emails with Airbag man, They tell me the 5429 will achieve lifts of 4" and greater but aired out height will be compromised.
If it is just a matter of modifying the mounts to get it working properly, that's fine. I'm not a bad fabricator.
Airbag man suggests a 3" lift AB0056 (next size down) which would have an on road height of 1.5" and up to 3" front and 4' rear when lifted.
That sounds like what you currently have now Geordie?
Actually I just noticed on the quote that they use different part numbers. OA4513 (presumably front) and OA6042 (rear?)
Is the OA4513 the one that you found was too short?
The other thing is I don't have the money for their Intelliride leveling system, so I plan to use 4 rocker switches earthed through the hand brake to hopelully make it legal.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,624 Posts
You will see in the specifications above, that the design height has a range of 38mm. So that is the window you will need to be in for it to work properly.

As far as I am concerned, these bags are designed to be used for variable spring rate, and maintaining the same height. Yes, Geordie and I both lower ours down and up on occasion, but they are designed to run at a set height.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,102 Posts
Unless you do a few mods it might be a struggle to fit 5429 and still keep your ride height below 3 or 4 inch above std and still keep your spring ride height between 12.5 and 14 inch and have the ability to use the full 15.4 inch of travel ability. The other bit to note trying to use the full spring travel ability of 15.5 inch with the nissan rear link system will tilt the spring at a very odd angle at full rebound which could damage the bag.

I am using a full triangulated 4 link to keep pinion angle respectable and not tilt the spring to far off its normal axis. The front end is 3 link and panhard using the same 5429 air spring with the ability to use the full 15.5 inch of travel, with near ideal caster angles for most of the 15.5 inch travel ability. Even with diff positioning for ideal clearance i still have to have 3 or 4 inch height above STD nissan suspension height to be in spec for the air springs 12.5 to 14 inch travel height.

The closer you keep to the air springs travel heights and not off axis or tilted the better the ride and easier to tune your shocks.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts