Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Im in the process of going through lifting my 2001 GU TD42t.

I thought it would be good to post some info here for those who are trying to work out heights of bumpstops, wheel to guards etc with different combinations of bumpstops and springs.

I know Superior Engineering has a table with bumpstop heights and this is where i started. Link to their table below.

Superior Engineering Factory Bump Stop Heights Table PDF

Superior Engineering: Factory Bumpstop heights.

2010-2011 GU Patrol F: 40mm, R: 80mm
1998-2009 GU Patrol F: 50mm, R: 90mm
1988-1997 GQ Patrol F: 65mm, R: 100mm

So with verry sagged 2" springs to start with I measured my bumpstop heights and guard to bottom of rim height (16" steel rim).

Stock Bumpstop Height:
F/L: 60mm, F/R: 50mm
R/L: 95mm, R/R: 90mm

Bottom of Rim to Guard Height:
F/L: 800mm, F/R: 780mm
R/L: 775mm, R/R: 750mm

So from this we can say that the car was effectively sitting at stock height. This is important for the next set of measurements!

I next fitted up some 80 series bumpstops front and rear so these measurements will give an approx bumpstop height with zero lift. This will help those guys running 80 series bump stops gauge how high their lift is sitting.

80 Series Bumpstop Height:
F/L: 50mm, F/R: 40mm
R/L: 40mm, R/R: 35mm

After fitting these i put in a set of Superior Engineering 3" medium rate coils and then measured the same heights.

3" Spring / 80 Series Bumpstop Height:
F/L: 120mm, F/R: 120mm
R/L: 130mm, R/R: 130mm

3" Spring / Bottom of Rim to Guard Height:
F/L: 860mm, F/R: 860mm
R/L: 860mm, R/R: 860mm

I know its not rocket science, but I hope it helps someone. And I am also super happy with the superior springs! They ride so nice and the car sits perfectly level!!

The springs free height were F: 470mm, R:510mm.

Next I took off the sway bar links, loosened the brake line brackets and let the diffs go as far as they could before you could move the coils by hand.

The maximum shock length I measured was, F: 620mm, R:730mm.

The truck looks sweet as now! 3" Lift / 33" Tyres, here's some inspiration!

Jason

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Would you want it sitting level ? More height in the rear for loading up
Thinking if getting the same coils for my ute but Daniel at superior reckons the lights for rear ? Have u changed your castor bushes ?

·
Registered
nissan
1,178 Posts
If you measure from the centre of the hub to the flare (instead of the bottom of the rim), it wont matter what wheels people have when taking the measurement ?

·
Registered
nissan
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still yet to buy shocks. But I am looking at efs extreme 4" or 5" fronts and 5" rears. Open/closed length measurements match up pretty well.

If you have the cash then amadas have better open/closed lengths and performance.

·
Registered
nissan
44 Posts
Actually looking at the Fox remote res mate.
For another couple of green backs I'm happy to grab them.

·
Registered
nissan
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would you want it sitting level ? More height in the rear for loading up
Thinking if getting the same coils for my ute but Daniel at superior reckons the lights for rear ? Have u changed your castor bushes ?
Its starting the settle down after about 500km or so and the rear is a little higher then the front now so im really happy with it.

I have put in some brand new genuine radius arm bushes and have used dropboxes for caster correction. I personally think this is a much better option then caster correction bushes as the dont last as long as normal bushes with the crush tube centered in the rubber as opposed to offset.

I dont think that would be right to run lights in the rear, but i could be wrong. My reasoning is that when you load it, it will sag and the stiffer the springs in the back the more it will make your front end work rather then having rear flex only and zero flex in the front.

The ride is so smooth and comfortable i would highly recomend these springs to anyone (as they were highly recomended to me!)

·
Registered
nissan
286 Posts
Hey mate, well done putting all the info together.

I have the same front springs in my GU Ti (4.5 auto) and it seems to be sitting a bit higher :( I took a rough measurement and it was around 155mm, so about 25mm higher than yours if we were both using stock bumpstops. I also have a steel ARB bar and 12,000lb winch.
Do you know the part no. on the tag of your spring? It could just be that the TD is a bit heavier, but seems like a fair difference considering they told me they will be lower than 3'' as they aren't designed for a steel bar and winch.

They weren't all that helpful on the phone about it either.. seemed like they expected me to keep buying springs until I found one that worked because they couldn't tell me anything useful lol.

·
Registered
nissan
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey mate, well done putting all the info together.

I have the same front springs in my GU Ti (4.5 auto) and it seems to be sitting a bit higher :( I took a rough measurement and it was around 155mm, so about 25mm higher than yours if we were both using stock bumpstops. I also have a steel ARB bar and 12,000lb winch.
Do you know the part no. on the tag of your spring? It could just be that the TD is a bit heavier, but seems like a fair difference considering they told me they will be lower than 3'' as they aren't designed for a steel bar and winch.

They weren't all that helpful on the phone about it either.. seemed like they expected me to keep buying springs until I found one that worked because they couldn't tell me anything useful lol.
I kind of had the same experience as you, but i put it down to them not having time for small guys buying a single set of springs! Still though, customer service isnt what it used to be!

I have a ARB steel bar (no winch), spotlights , dual batteries in the front, top mount intercooler, full length roof rack, full length awning, Outback drawers system and 305/70/r16 MTZ on steel rim on the back door. I also know the Td42t is a little heavier then the other motors so maybe all that put together accounts for the lower height???

Ill write down the part numbers for you this afternoon as i left the tags on the springs 'just in case'!

·
Registered
nissan
44 Posts
I have to say that the boys in Sydney were very helpful.
Even told me that if I wasn't happy with the height he would change them for me.
He looked at the car and all the accessories and picked the springs to suit. Hopefully they'll work well.

·
Registered
nissan
286 Posts
Ok so you probably have a bit more weight in it with the TD, but not too much.
My main issue is I didn't want it too big, and now I need to buy new rear springs because with my old springs and a 30mm spacer the rear is really low. So not sure if i should go for matching rears or Dobinsons. Either way the front might still be too big. I might have to hurry up with my TD42 conversion! ;)

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
I've just bought a 2" kit with efs springs from them, but she only sits about 30mm higher. The new springs on the ground next to the old ones only sit about 10mm taller, does that sound right to you guys? They've told me it's how it's supposed to be but they're a heavier spring it will sit higher, that sounds to me like they've given me heavy duty standard height springs. As mentioned before they weren't very helpful and want photos for proof... Any advice would be appreciated...

·
Registered
nissan
97 Posts
Mate I'm in the same boat. Just installed some supposed 2" lift King Springs on an 05 GU. Just measured my bump stops and I've got 110mm space rear and 80mm front. According to this post I've only got a 20mm lift in the rear and 30mm in the front. What's going on with these 2" lift kits? My Patrol is bog stock other than an alloy bullbar up front and these springs.

·
Thanks In Advance
nissan
121 Posts
Mine was very similar with 20mm in rear and 30mm in the front with lovells in the rear and kings in the front.. I ended up putting 30mm coil spacers in the rear and 15mm in the front and that sorted it nicely

·
Registered
nissan
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mate I'm in the same boat. Just installed some supposed 2" lift King Springs on an 05 GU. Just measured my bump stops and I've got 110mm space rear and 80mm front. According to this post I've only got a 20mm lift in the rear and 30mm in the front. What's going on with these 2" lift kits? My Patrol is bog stock other than an alloy bullbar up front and these springs.
Mine was very similar with 20mm in rear and 30mm in the front with lovells in the rear and kings in the front.. I ended up putting 30mm coil spacers in the rear and 15mm in the front and that sorted it nicely
I've just bought a 2" kit with efs springs from them, but she only sits about 30mm higher. The new springs on the ground next to the old ones only sit about 10mm taller, does that sound right to you guys? They've told me it's how it's supposed to be but they're a heavier spring it will sit higher, that sounds to me like they've given me heavy duty standard height springs. As mentioned before they weren't very helpful and want photos for proof... Any advice would be appreciated...
Its disappointing when you buy something and its not what you expected when its installed. The final height will be heavily dictated by the amount of accessories you have in and on the car (bullbar, batteries, roof rack, awning, roof top tent, sliders, rear bar, swing aways, spare tyres, drawers, compressors, LR fuel tanks, water tanks etc), and this will be accentuated even further depending on the spring rate as well (softer will sit lower for the same accesories) but on a stock patrol you would expect 2" springs to sit at the very least 40-50mm higher.

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
I had nothing in the back except a pram... The damper had the wrong mounts, and the front shocks bottom mount was shorter by about 15mm and couldn't even see thread to get the nut on... Then they said that was normal too and I have to shave them down. Not happy with superior at all

·
Registered
nissan
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had nothing in the back except a pram... The damper had the wrong mounts, and the front shocks bottom mount was shorter by about 15mm and couldn't even see thread to get the nut on... Then they said that was normal too and I have to shave them down. Not happy with superior at all
Did you use the standard length shocks with your 2 inch kit? They should be long enough no worries at all? Just put the springs in and jack the diff up. You would need longer shocks to get the full travel of the spring.

Jason

1 - 20 of 23 Posts