Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This mod will open the small barn door once you lift the door release lever and keep it open even when the Patrol is on a side or downwards facing slope.
Can be used in conjunction with a door strap extension bracket.
Parts required (All parts sourced from Bunnings)
1 x 325mm long 100n Goliath Gas strut. $17.50 Part # 46017-GP.
1 x 20 x 25mm Goliath stainless steel gas strut bracket with ball stud. $8.64 for a pack of 2 Part number 91006-GP.
2 x 5/16” zinc plated mudguard washers. (5/16” hole, 32mm dia) $3.90 pack of 10.
2 x pop rivets.
Optional - Small amount of paint to help prevent rust after drilling holes. (Nail polish works good for this purpose.)

Installation
Carefully remove plastic top section, plastic door lever trim then door card from small barn door.
Lift up clear plastic cover exposing the access holes on door.
Measure and mark 31mm down and 23mm across from the raised sections on body of car.

Place Stainless bracket on marks then mark out holes for pop rivets. Drill appropriate size holes for pop rivets. Align bracket then attach with pop rivets.
Remove retaining clip from the black body end of the strut and remove ball stud.
Attach black body end of strut to ball stud on bracket and replace retaining clip.
With door fully open. Lift up strut so ball stud is touching the middle of the panel on the underside of the door. Make a mark 10 to 20mm towards the body of the car in the middle of the panel. (This is so the strut isn’t fully extended when door is open)

Drill a 8mm or 5/16” hole then paint exposed steel.
Vacuum metal shavings from inside of door cavity.
Remove retaining clip and ball stud from shaft end of strut. (Much easier than bolting stud on with strut attached)
Place 1 mudguard washer on ball stud and insert into hole in underside of door.
From inside of door. Place 1 mudguard washer on ball stud so the thin door panel has more support and use the supplied nylock nut to fasten the ball stud to the door.
Compress then pop the strut onto the ball stud. Replace retaining clip.
Replace clear plastic cover, plastic top section, plastic door lever trim and door card.
Job done. Enjoy never getting hit by the barn door again.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
569 Posts
I picked up all the bits I needed and did this mod this afternoon. No more small door swinging shut.

Compressing the strut to get it on the ball was a pain in the backside... I ended up using a Quick Grip Clamp to close the strut and pop it on.

Works a treat. Great write up - Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,925 Posts
Did this today. It looks like the earlier models have a smaller corner radius curve where the door seal is, which made it impossible to get a drill straight on for the LH hole on the bracket, really need a right angle drill attachment. I managed to get the drill at about 30 degrees off straight, which still worked ok. The other problem I had is that the ball on the shaft & plastic dust cap on the body just rub on the back lip of my Powerfull 4X4 rear bar. A few belts with a big mallet got it to just clear. I'll keep an eye on it & if it starts rubbing I'll attack it with the angle grinder.

·
Registered
9,838 Posts
Craig, I ended up moving my bracket on the body a bit further over because I found it was a bit too close to the inner corner to effectively hold the door open when on a side slope. Possibly the strut I used was a bit weaker, or I spaced the hole under the frame a little too far along so it is full extension. Either way by moving the bracket over more, it holds open better.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Craig, I ended up moving my bracket on the body a bit further over because I found it was a bit too close to the inner corner to effectively hold the door open when on a side slope. Possibly the strut I used was a bit weaker, or I spaced the hole under the frame a little too far along so it is full extension. Either way by moving the bracket over more, it holds open better.
I like to place it so there is still a bit of travel in the strut so it is pushing even when the door is fully open.
Moving the bracket over a bit definitely helps if the strut isn't strong enough. What you can't see in my pics is the original hole I drilled when working out the best place for the bracket when first developing this mod. Door wasn't holding hard enough so I moved the bracket a bit and it did the trick.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
This mod will open the small barn door once you lift the door release lever and keep it open even when the Patrol is on a side or downwards facing slope.
1 x 20 x 25mm Goliath stainless steel gas strut bracket with ball stud. $8.64 for a pack of 2 Part number 91006-GP.
2 x 5/16” zinc plated mudguard washers. (5/16” hole, 32mm dia) $3.90 pack of 10.
2 x pop rivets.
Optional - Small amount of paint to help prevent rust after drilling holes. (Nail polish works good for this purpose.)
View attachment 515482
Installation
Carefully remove plastic top section, plastic door lever trim then door card from small barn door.
Measure and mark 31mm down and 23mm across from the raised sections on body of car.
View attachment 515483
View attachment 515484
Place Stainless bracket on marks then mark out holes for pop rivets. Drill appropriate size holes for pop rivets. Align bracket then attach with pop rivets.
Remove retaining clip from the black body end of the strut and remove ball stud.
Attach black body end of strut to ball stud on bracket and replace retaining clip.
With door fully open. Lift up strut so ball stud is touching the middle of the panel on the underside of the door. Make a mark 10 to 20mm towards the body of the car in the middle of the panel. (This is so the strut isn’t fully extended when door is open)
View attachment 515485
Remove retaining clip and ball stud from shaft end of strut. (Much easier than bolting stud on with strut attached)
From inside of door. Place 1 mudguard washer on ball stud so the thin door panel has more support and use the supplied nylock nut to fasten the ball stud to the door.
Replace clear plastic cover, plastic top section, plastic door lever trim and door card.
View attachment 515486
2 x pop rivets.
View attachment 515482
Installation
View attachment 515483
View attachment 515484
View attachment 515485
View attachment 515486
Great info mate, just did mine. I did move bracket 4mm lower and 5mm towards middle of car as gas strut would have touched door in closed position.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
113 Posts
Hi all,
I reckon this is one of the best mods I have done to Patrol. So simple and resolves a heap of issues. I have had Patrol for 18 years and struggled with swinging door and ripped vinyl from fridge slide.

I think ECU Remap and lift pump might be best mechanical mod, but this mod is the best body mod.
thanking you,
Caged

·
Registered
1998 Nissan Patrol Wagon RD28ETi
441 Posts
This is another mod that you can add to the small barn door. Helps the door open an extra few inches.

To remove the factory bracket you will need a grinder to grind off the end of the pin. Then tap the pin out with a nail punch or similar. Unbolt the bracket. Bolt in the new bracket. Drill a small hole about 2.5mm into the body. Then screw in a small metal self tapping screw. A wafer head would be the best screw to use. Put the pivot bolt in, but do not do it up too tight so it can pivot freely.

Surveillance camera Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting

1 - 13 of 13 Posts