Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whoever designed the GU patrol switches and the blanks should be hung, drawn and quartered. I have never encountered such a difficult switch or blank to remove from a panel. The old style was so much easier and didn't require you to access both the front and back of a panel to remove the switches or blanks. Because the switches are inserted from the rear, the locking mechanism has to be a lot firmer and this makes it an absolute bastard to remove switches or blanks. Also, no aftermarket switch will match the factory switches, as they are all inserted from the front. All this just for a slight change in appearance.

Cheers

Ray

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
I've had no problems with mine.

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had no problems with mine.
How the stuff do you get the blanks or switches out, without major swearing?

Cheers

Ray

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts

Cheers

Ray
I think mine just pulled out from the front using a small screw driver to push up under the front bit.

Im normally swearing anyway, dunno if that's related :)

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts

Cheers

Ray
Like Mic, I have not had a problem or have they changed on the much later model GU's, the only problem I have is when fitting an aftermarket switch into a blank hole, I have to modify the corner of the switch otherwise it pop's out too easily.

Edit: Good morning Dronus, how the bloody hell are ya?

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like Mic, I have not had a problem or have they changed on the much later model GU's, the only problem I have is when fitting an aftermarket switch into a blank hole, I have to modify the corner of the switch otherwise it pop's out too easily.

I think the new style switches came out with the square fender version of the Patrol. You have to push the switch/blank into the back of the panel to get them out, not pull them up and out the front of the panel.

Cheers

Ray

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts

Cheers

Ray
Oh, you never mentioned not swearing! :p

Nah, i did have the panel off at the time, so it was easy... haven't tried to put switches in without taking the panel off (usually it's off because you're running wires).

I had more trouble getting the UHF areial cable through the accelerator hole in the firewall...

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, you never mentioned not swearing! :p

Nah, i did have the panel off at the time, so it was easy... haven't tried to put switches in without taking the panel off (usually it's off because you're running wires).

I had more trouble getting the UHF areial cable through the accelerator hole in the firewall...
Try that with the auto transmission console! I ran the aerial cable through the left hand side, a lot easier.

Cheers

Ray

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Im alive! Not meaning to go too far OT but dropped in for a beer with Chaz yesterday and we got the VNT screw adjusted. Only lost 1 bolt and about 250ml of blood which is a record.
Car goes like a rocket...

Yeah i had to file out the back of my switch blanking plates to get the switch to sit in there.
I can take a photo of the back of the blank from a 01 if the OP would like to compare?

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Try that with the auto transmission console! I ran the aerial cable through the left hand side, a lot easier.

Cheers

Ray
Really, ah well. Next time! We ended up filing off the knurling on the screw inny bit of the cable end. Then it *just* fit.

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah i had to file out the back of my switch blanking plates to get the switch to sit in there.
I can take a photo of the back of the blank from a 01 if the OP would like to compare?
Thanks, but no need. I can get them out, it just involves lots of swearing and scraped knuckles.

Cheers

Ray

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Thanks, but no need. I can get them out, it just involves lots of swearing and scraped knuckles.

Cheers

Ray
Yeah, his missus is away, so he's a bit toey and is having a whinge:p:p:p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts