Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gu patrol
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
I have a 1998 Gu Patrol Ti 4.5 running on petrol/gas. I am wanting to get more performance/economy from my rig. What can I do and what sorts of costs would be involved. I love my rig and would like to get her going better. Can anyone out there give me any ideas?
Thanks
Nelli

·
Registered
NISSAN GU PATROL
694 Posts
Id start with extractors and an exhaust system if you dont allready have one.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
What is your budget?

·
Registered
nissan gu patrol
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Everyone

Budget, well what sort of money are we talking about? I am guite new about all of this. What would you all suggest is a reasonable budget?
Thanks
Nelli

·
Registered
NISSAN GU PATROL
694 Posts
Nelli,
I recommend you first get your self an exhaust system and extractors, i think 2 1/2 inch is the way to go, Maybee im wrong.

That will be the best performance upgrade you could do to start with and you will notice the extra power.

If you want more power after that then you will have to start looking at turbos or engine upgrades.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Exhaust and extractors, ~$1000, and some people think they are worth it, but I'd say they are $500 worth of power if that. Some people dont even notice the power increase.

Basic turbo setup ~$3000 upto $10,000 Intercooled/turbo setup depending what you want and how much you do yourself.

Keeping it in good tune, air filters etc...

LPG is the way to get cheaper running, but not better economy other than that your really wasting your time.

·
Registered
nissan gu patrol
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi All
Thank you for all the advice. Nelli is now in the garage having extractors and a 2 1/2 inch exhaust fitted and also getting tuned.
Will give an update when I get her back.
Thanks again, you all have been most helpful.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hi All
Thank you for all the advice. Nelli is now in the garage having extractors and a 2 1/2 inch exhaust fitted and also getting tuned.
Will give an update when I get her back.
Thanks again, you all have been most helpful.
I'm a happy TB45 owner because I just got used to it. I suspect the most practical way to get more performance is to save up for a TB48, but like Truckster said a basic turbo can make a big difference (from what i read, no experience). Have a search here and on outerlimits, there are some interesting threads.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a TB45 in my GQ. It really goes well. Here is what I have done.
2.5 inch exhaust
Extractors
total LPG
balanced
LPG camshaft
ported head
Compression increased
hardened valves, seats and guides

Gets 18L/100km on a trip and 22L/100km around town. 38L/100km when pushed hard towing my camper trailer!

12.1 secs 0-100km/h

I'm running 4.1 diffs, 33' tyres, 5' lift

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
Hi guys... a newbie too, I have been wondering the same thing. My TB45 is on injected gas (which still delivers less power than petrol) and wonder if all the fuss of extractors etc is worth it when running on gas... Was thinking of getting a tune (anyone who can recommend someone in the Eastern suburbs?) and maybe change the diff ratio to 4.3 rather than 4.1 after changing to 33". Thought of changing back to 31", but after a recent trip to Toolangi I think 33" seems like the right size for these cars.....
Can anyone give an indication of price of changing the diff ratio? Parts and labour....
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
I have a TB45 in my GQ. It really goes well. Here is what I have done.
2.5 inch exhaust
Extractors
total LPG
balanced
LPG camshaft
ported head
Compression increased
hardened valves, seats and guides
h
Ehm, how much did all that set you back? And was it worth it?

·
Registered
214 Posts
about $4k for the machine shop work and parts. I did all the strip down and build.
I consider it to be very worth it. Its brought the truck alive and its still heaps cheaper than a V8 conversion. I also have no problem with insurance, engineering and RTA.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts