Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol GU
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

as the title says, my GU RD28 hairdryer is dead due to a lack of oil (oops), So whats you thought, Standard turbo or upgrade?

Cheers,
FM

ps " I head a ZD30 turbo is a good upgrade/replacement? anyone done this or know whats involved?"

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
I dunno if you would upgrade the turbo on a RD28 due to the lag you would have to put up with, unless you could get some kind of twin turbo setup for a non-crossflow engine happening.

a ZD30 turbo is a VNT (variable vanes) so this needs something to control it such as a computer, of which the RD28 doesnt have. Although the thought has crossed my mind a few times as to how to control it.

If I was to put my idea out, it would involve using a governor signal from the zexel injection pump (if it has one) to control an electric servo, which then controls the vanes......:lol: would involve much work to get this right, whilst not blowing up the motor in the process.

I am no expert, but thats what I have to say lol

Nissan Turbochargers - Online Store - Turbo Repairs - Turbo Sales - Turbo Accessories

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
a ZD30 turbo is a VNT (variable vanes) so this needs something to control it such as a computer, of which the RD28 doesnt have. Although the thought has crossed my mind a few times as to how to control it.
dont need any fancy ECUs mate, the only things needed are a vacuum source of atleast 27"Hg, a boost source, a dawes valve and a needle........ same as a ZD30. 2.8 has 29"Hg of vaccum btw

I tried to put a ZD30 VNT on the 2.8 but the rear housing on the VNT is farkin massive and wont fit on a non cross flow motor in the GU due to sweet FA room between the donk and the chassis rail.

You can easily get a BB Garrett to fit as long as you use a 2.8 GQ exhaust manifold, which I am. Getting all the other parts to bolt up to the turbo (and also configuring the turbo itself as well, hard to go off the shelf) is the interesting part and involves doing alot of it yourself. Ill be putting up a few pics of where I am in a few days, got the 'trick' dump pipe finished yesterday so just gotta wait till the ceramic coaters reopen after the new years and its all systems go for fitment.

The only reason to go 'better' than the current turbo is to run more than 14psi above 3500rpm. If your going here theres alot more to upgrade, mostly all cooling and filtration.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Don't know if it can be done, but could you fit a supercharger to a diesel in replacement of turbo or as vw has done uses both. Just an idea.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Interesting, is there a thread to this thing your doing with the ZD30 turbo? :D
Nah, I never got anywhere near fitting it to the patrol, I crawled underneath with the VNT and tried to see how it would go in and it was clear it wont fit as whilst the actual flanges have the same bolt pattern the holes are different so its all bad. To use an adaptor plate would have put it about half an inch inside the chassis rail ;)

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
That is a GT1752, however the GT1752S (S stands for altered specification) in the GU 2.8 is custom built by garrett for Nissan. The rear housing is a three bolt not a four as with the Saab , the wastegate is different and the compressor housing is way different.

Whats wrong with yours?

Have a look at the bolt pattern n this 2.8 manifold....
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nissan-patro..._Accessories&hash=item20b5d26e49#ht_500wt_949

·
Registered
nissan patrol
587 Posts
That is a GT1752, however the GT1752S (S stands for altered specification) in the GU 2.8 is custom built by garrett for Nissan. The rear housing is a three bolt not a four as with the Saab , the wastegate is different and the compressor housing is way different.

Whats wrong with yours?

Nissan patrol GU turbo exhaust manifold from a rd28eti (eBay item 140489420361 end time 23-Dec-10 00:06:14 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats
Seals are shot, and its my everyday car that i need to travel for work with, so i need a replacement to chuck in, eventually ill buy a seal kit for my original and get it balanced etc.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GU
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ooo interesting.. but sounds like a lot of hard work.. i was hoping there would be something like upgrade to ...... because its roller bearing not bush bearing turbo.

But if that aint the case, I think a std might just be the go..

·
Registered
nissan patrol GU
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Whats wrong with yours?

Nissan patrol GU turbo exhaust manifold from a rd28eti (eBay item 140489420361 end time 23-Dec-10 00:06:14 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

Hey Benno, With the Manifold flange being a 4 bolt instead of 3 bolt, and the price of these standard T28's / GT1752's, wouldnt it just be cheaper to weld a 4 bolt flange on the GU exhaust manifold?

Ive also been looking at this one and thinking ill cut the manifold up if it means that its cheaper turbos in the long run ;)

T28 Turbo Turbocharger Civic S13 S14 Internal Wastegate (eBay item 400185268439 end time 02-Feb-11 13:47:24 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Its an idea I considered as well but I didnt do anything with it as the manifold is cast and the plate would probably be standard C350 steel flat plate so whilst it may be good in the beginning I wouldnt have any great faith in the welds holding long term.

Also the GU manifold is a crappy log style (where all 6 pots exhaust through a single hole) whereas the GQ manifold has two separate exit ports with three cylinders apiece so it will flow alot better.

I personally dont have any trust in chinese turbos. Chinese make reasonable bench vices but anything with precision they suck at.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GU
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah your right with that precision comment. I was over in China in august and walking around their version of Myers and everything I was looking at which they wanted top dollar for looked like it belonged in the $2 shop.

Considering it's 1/4 of the price, you could buy a 2nd one and have it as a spare and still be $800 in front.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GU
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe while I'm at it, ill fit a GQ manifold if that's possible?

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 98
253 Posts
Bump on this

Where is the best place to source vacuum on gu 2.8
Installing aftermarket cruise control at the moment everything done but now up to the actuator and it needs a reliable vacuum source for the servo...

Any help highly appreciated

By the way how did this go?

I have seen on eBay flange adapters to go from 3 bolt to 4 bolt, anyone else seen these??

Would love to throw a bigger hair dryer on mine. After the rebuild though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts