Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I might as well put my conversion on the page as I have been watching a few other builds going on and might be able to help some people along the way as I will have a few questions of my own

I have had the GU for over 5 years gave me a bit of trouble when I first got it, done the timing belt and head at 3 weeks read here
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/rebuild-2-8-a-35661/

I had my GQ all decked out and that motor ticked over 450,000 Ks so I pulled it out and had it rebuilt and the pump done with boost compensator as well as new turbo

That's when I had my bike accident broke several bones laid up in hospital for a month should know better at my age then to race bikes

Well in the recovery process the GQ went but I still had the motor in the shop so now that I'm better what better to do then to put it in the GU

I sourced all the parts I think I needed
GU gear box
Gear box cross member
New clutch
GU TD 42 throttle pedal and cable
GU radiator (first one they gave me was a GQ)
4 bolt engine mounts
Weld on chassis engine mounts
All new radiator and heater hoses and fan belts

Will have to see how I go along with any other parts required

I have put all my GQ good gear onto the GU in preparation of transformation

Bloody stupid thing to do when you try and pull out the motor with 37" tyres and 5 inch lift

Before the fun begins

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Posting from iPad only lets me do 1 photo at a time

Will have to learn how to resize photos

The important bit TD42

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the RD 28 is out
I took the bull bar off and put a set of 31's on so I could get it out

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Swapped the throttle pedals over was a *****y job need little hands for that also pulled a heap of redundant wires while I was there

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Engine loom has been pulled out and sent to kill a customs

Found a spot of rust in the radiator support panel cut it out and fixed it up before it got to bad

Will be doing the engine mounts when they turn up this week and fitting the engine

Still have to source the exhaust

Rust before

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If anyone is interested photo below of repairs to my bones

Well that will be all for tonight will update again as it progress but hoping to have it going before Christmas

Attachments

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
Good work mate. I've done this conversion myself and it is reasonably straight forward, sounds like you've got most things covered too.
Mine actually had rust in the same spot on the radiator support as well. Then my old man noticed the front body mount was a bit loose so he tried to tighten the bolt there, not much effort and he sheared it off :( I ended up cutting out the radiator support from my donor wreck and welding it in to replace the rusted one. I just think it might possibly be worth checking the front body mount bolts before putting too much back in?? Mine were badly siezed and rusted in place.

·
Registered
nissan
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks sooty_10 I will double check the mount for tightness as visually it looked fine

How did you go with the vacuum tank and lines?

I was considering putting a cross over pipe at the back of the fire wall where the brake and clutch vacuum lines used to joinn the vacuum pump on the RD28 and then hook into a tank on the passenger side then run the vacuum line form the vac pump of the back of alternator to the tank.

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
thanks sooty_10 I will double check the mount for tightness as visually it looked fine

How did you go with the vacuum tank and lines?

I was considering putting a cross over pipe at the back of the fire wall where the brake and clutch vacuum lines used to joinn the vacuum pump on the RD28 and then hook into a tank on the passenger side then run the vacuum line form the vac pump of the back of alternator to the tank.
I could cheat a bit with mine as I had a complete donor vehicle and used the complete td42t factory vacuum setup.

·
Registered
nissan
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And the correct radiator this time

No work on the patrol today but will cut the old mounts out tomorrow

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cut the drivers side mount out today and test fitting the new mount and engine before welding in

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Motor on the way it's a tight squeeze had to pull back out will take the heater hoses off and move out of the road and go again tomorrow

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
does that radiator have a pipe on the filler neck to run to the over flow bottle?, also i bought 4 bolt mounts when i did the conversion and i found the locating pin on the rubber mount didnt line up with the old gq 2bolt engine brackets i had to run the grider down them to turn the hole into a slot

·
Registered
nissan
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
does that radiator have a pipe on the filler neck to run to the over flow bottle?, also i bought 4 bolt mounts when i did the conversion and i found the locating pin on the rubber mount didnt line up with the old gq 2bolt engine brackets i had to run the grider down them to turn the hole into a slot
the radiator has a outlet in the top of the tank on the drivers side that will go back to the overflow bottle, I think from memory it has the small overflow in the filler neck that would discharge to the ground will work that one out when it gets fitted

I bought new 4 bolt engine mounts to go with the weld in chassis mounts as well, There's more money spent on that truck then there is on me this christmas

·
Registered
nissan
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the engine in today for test fit.
It's a hard job by yourself I can tell you
Will mark up engine mounts once I'm happy with the location of the motor as I think it sits to far back may need to change the gear box cross member
I did change from the rd28 cross member to the ZD30 with the box but will see after I bolt up the motor to the box then measure up

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
Get yourself a td42 crossmember or a gq td42 tb42 one you will just need to cut the brace off the chassis if you use the gq one. Ive got a gq one in albury if you get stuck

1 - 20 of 108 Posts