Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me how much of an issue is the rear spring mounts braking??

Am planning eventually to do the Anne Beadell hwy etc and hopefully next year the Madigan line, will soon have a long range tank fitted (all up 170l) plus all the other crap you need to carry for these trips, so I presume this weight might be termed heavy?
Live about 0.5km from ATOC who appear to make and fit a kit to resolve this issue.
The car also gets a reasonable amount of hi country work. I dont abuse it, but I'm not easy on it either. I gues in the end its piece of mind.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Vince has just had Aarons kit fitted after his mounts collapsed..

Theres 1000's of GU's that never have an issue with the mounts. Depends how many mega ton you wanna carry, if you have polyairs, and tow stuff lots.

I think its cheap insurance to have it done..

·
Registered
nissan patrol Gu6
1,275 Posts
Atoc kit

Hi there Paul I am currently touring Australia with heavily loaded Gu6. Weighs 3600kgs plus 2.3t van on back. I have been told I have some cracking on spring towers and am booked to have Atoc kit installed in 2 weeks. Around $700. It can be more if you have long range tank which I dont have.

·
Registered
nissan
163 Posts
Had a 2003 GU, toured the SImpson twice and it suffered a small crack in the drivers side rear spring mount. It was picked up by my mechanic and he arranged an engineer to TIG weld it for me for $200.

I think it was the load and corrugations that caused the problem.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Hi there Paul I am currently touring Australia with heavily loaded Gu6. Weighs 3600kgs plus 2.3t van on back. I have been told I have some cracking on spring towers and am booked to have Atoc kit installed in 2 weeks. Around $700. It can be more if you have long range tank which I dont have.
Thanks mate for the info, Yes I too had a heavy load a couple months back, but no damage. I was at 3.5T and it realy supprised me that I had that amount of weight on board.

Thanks Bruce as well.

·
Registered
nissan
2,473 Posts
yeah was about that ( $700 supplied and fitted) mine was just starting to crack and truck leaning to one side... i have seen some that have completely torn out and starting to crush the fuel lines that run above the spring hats.. the guy noticed a bit of sag so just pumped up the polyairs a bit more lol

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Am erring on the side of caution and will probably get it done before long range tank is fitted. Doesnt appeal to me worrying about it crapping itself in the middle of nowhere. Probably go ATOC kit since he is so close.
Thanks.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
Unless you are using 22mm coil spring wire or poly air bags to support massive weight in the rear I wouldn't worry about it.

However if you are planning to carry steel rear bars dual spares, drawers etc plus tow a trailer I would highly recommend.

·
Registered
nissan
258 Posts
I had the ATOC kit fitted by MineCorp in Brisbane earlier this year.
We were on our way to the cape.
I have a heavy trol and was towing a heavy Kimberley Kamper.
Also had them install Air bags.

I installed Aaron's kit as I have seen many heavy Patrols with Air bags that have cracked the Spring hats.
I am very happy with the result.
Well worth the investment as a repair can be very expensive.

Cheers
Parry

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
For $120.00 Superior Engineering will supply you with a BOLT-ON shock tower brace. You need a 2" lift to accommodate it, but even if you had to fit that as well, you would still come out in front.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Had the ATOC fitted the other day by 4x4Total care at Seven Hills they did a neat job. I would rather pay now than have issues in the desert and stuffing up a holiday and waiting a week or two for it to be fixed.

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had ATOC kit fitted wednesday, ( they are only about 1km away), nice neat job and peace of mind, cost approx. $680. Next is the long range tank, but 1st i must grovel to the misses, she is already complaining about the cost of things. I tell her its an investment in a way of life and great holidays.:wink:

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread but does anybody know who sells and installs one of these kits in Perth or anywhere north of perth?

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No idea, but ring Aaron at ATOC, he should be able to advise you. Check his website out for contact details and info on the kit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts