Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have found a 2005 GU 4.2 that has caught my eye. Motors a bit dodgy but my GQ TD42 motor is fine and would transplant.

The chassis has had plates welded on the outside of the chassis at the rear which follows the chassis line from under the rear arch all the way to the back. The top coil housing has been fitted with a mega structure, probably like the one from Superior engineering.

My question is:

Does this mean the chassis has been cracked and the upper coil housing snapped ?
or: is this something a person may do so as to prepare the car for towing ?

There is no damage whatsoever to the underside of the body which is about an inch away from the coil tower uppers which to me would indicate no breakage.

Most importantly is: does this work when done require engineering certificates of some sort. I have seen the documents (reciepts) for the work done only.

anyones thoughts would be welcome

Neil

·
Registered
nissan
60 Posts
Might be a good time to be rather cautious. The 4.2's are supposed to be pretty well bullet proof and if the motor is dodgy along with a chassis that has needed to be strengthened for whatever reason by having additional plates welded to it . . . well, it sort of raises some questions as to why !

Hopefully there is some qualified supporting documentation for the welding available.

I have a Superior Engineering coil tower brace under my GU Wagon and they are easy to identify by comparing to the pictures available on Superiors website. I wouldn't describe them as a mega structure though.

Good luck with it all.

Regards :)

·
Registered
Nissan
526 Posts
There are quite a few different approaches to bracing the coil hats so unless it looks abnormally large I wouldnt be too worried. The welded plates on the rear part of the chassis seems a bit odd, normally the chassis' crack at the weld where the soil hats are attached, although I have seen one that was broken just behind cab.
Remember that you will have to get motor registry to update the records with the new engine once swapped over.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies.

This is a wagon Y61. Its had a lot of money spent on it with extras. The motors probably not so dodgy as it has just come from a year long trip around Aus and has lots of engine oil in places mine doesn't. The provent needs a good clean where as I am always cleaning mine.
Its this chassis thing, the claim is that it was done by the original owner as a precautionary measure and I was wondering if there are others that go down this track before the fact.
The tower supports are very much like Superiors and to me its a kind of mega structure compared to what was.

Neil

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
3,003 Posts
You could get the chassis xrayed if your suss on the welds mate.

Or without spending coin, just have a real good look. Welding is an art and I know I dont weld well so I pay others who are good at it. This might actually be a benefit. The chassis has known problems with cracking especially when close to or overloaded on GVM. Theres more then one way to skin a cat and if the chassis reinforcement is designed right Id say its an advantage, especially if the extra mass isnt a big deal to you. It just comes down to the design and the quality of craftmanship in implementing the design.

As for the motor theres test procedures to suss it out. Compression test with full leak down, test the coolant, sample the oil for oil analysis (this is really useful for understanding what the engine is doing) etcetc. The procedures are well established. And then with proper test data your not just offering opinion to reduce the price from the seller, youve got hard data.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts