Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at changind the rear wheel bearings on my GU. I have replaced front bearings before but never the rears. These bearings are monsters. Does the sleave require pressing out and in? and am i required to drop the diff oil to remove the hub?
Cheers
Troy

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
are they damaged already?

if not i would leave them till they actually need something done in 20 odd years time

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Having read your issues elsewhere I am thinking it would be doubtful if the rear bearings are shot. But you have tried everything else. Goodluck.
Sorry not done rears before, so can't advise.

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
They need to be pressed out and can be a right bugger to do. The bearing housing can be very tight, so you will need a pretty big press and very likely some heat. You also have to be very careful when pressing them out, so that you don't bend the housing (ergo the use of a bit of heat). It's not an overly difficult job, if you can find a workshop that has the right gear to press out the bearing.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys,

No problems with them. Was just going to change them as a maintenance precaution. The trucks done 270 000klms, just thought she could do with some new ones. I've got them there but if you think there's no need I'll leave them alone. And wait till they need them. What are your thoughts????
Cheers
Troy

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Do a small test to see if they feel right. Take off the wheel and spin the hub and listen for any noise (they should be smooth and quiet) and then see if there is any lateral etc movement in the axle. Usually when the bearing starts to go, you'll hear a rumbling noise, especially while driving when they are really on the way out.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Ray,
I did all the tests a few weeks ago when I had issues in the back (turned out to be a loose wheel weight) All sounds great and smooth. I dont think i'll do them now. I'll wait until there is a problem.
Thanks
Cheers
Troy

·
Registered
nissan
39 Posts
Hi Troy. If you do the bearings one at a time, you don't have to drain the diff oil. Just jack up one side fairly high, block up with stand and leave for a while for the oil to run down to the diff head. Withdraw the axle and then after replacing, do the other side. I have to say I lean to the party saying leave the damn thing alone until it becomes roudy though. The bearings could do over 400 to 500 k without grief. Cheers, Derb.

·
Registered
nissan
1,194 Posts
hmm hey guys, didnt want to start a new post so bummin on to this one (sorry troy), i have a loud "woouuurrrrring " faster and repetitive sound in the back and is got the tiniest little vibration when off the gas ,more then wen its on (probably cause everything else is moving ).
ive had the same sound before in a barina i once had and it was the wheel bearings , people say they last for ever but i say they dont .
what are your comments or ideas ?
cheers!
ps. 98 gu with 340,000 klicks.

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
Also check your rear brake sliders are in good nick and square. They can get quite crooked and produce noises when dry, even without being worn out.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Just over 3 years and 50,000kms ago I had a rear leaking oil seal around the brake area so I immediately assumed the rear axle bearing was stuffed. After a bit of research and consideration I decided to just replace the oil seal and repack the bearing.

I purchased oil seal p/no 43252-VH300... PLUS...'O' ring 43253-C9300 and jacked her up as described by 'Derb' removed the axle, spun the bearing which appeared ok and forced grease into the bearing and re-assembled and never had a problem since. I also fitted new pads and slotted discs whilst at it.

I don't understand the comments about the bearing being oil fed when there is an oil seal in place which I assume is to prevent oil getting to the bearing, I'm not disputing same, just don't understand why that would be ?

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
Yes they need grease as far as I know. I just changed rear diff housing, fitted new grease/oil seals to the inner axle so they are definitely separated, sealed off from the diff oil. This is in a H233. I am not sure what the full floating axle 260 set-up is like possibly that is oiled bearings. Utes may also be a bit special Sydo. I know the rear drum one has different oil seal on a flat metal disc.

The brand new bearings in the box came pre-packed with grease ( I have a new set on the bench, packed with grease and still sealed in the bags if you want a photo http://patrolapart.com.au/product/n...l-bearing-kit-suit-gq-and-gu-rear-except-leaf). But they were going to be such a bugger to take off, press out, that I felt the old bearings and decided to just re-pack them. They are a double row of tapered needle rollers with an open end cage so you can see into the rollers. They felt good, rolled smooth. The old grease in the bearings looked a bit brown so I used a hypodermic type grease gun fitting to force new grease into the bearings between the rollers and squeeze the old crap out.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
I had Dale do my rear bearings, it was a while ago but if memory serves me correct they are greased. There is supposed to be a seal which keeps the diff oil out. Again, it was a while ago but I faintly recall him regreasing them so that he was confident that they were greased properly with good grease.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 56 Posts