Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone else get a recall notice their GU? Mine came yesterday. They are finally addressing the wheelnut issue. Whilst recently having a tyre repaired in Fitzroy Crossing the tyre fitter asked me if I'd lost a wheel yet. This has been discussed many times on this forum and it's great to see that it is being addressed.

TJ..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is Aug 2008. Anyone know what these "indicators" look like. Photo's?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
waht are they gunna do?

The letter says they will place indicators on the nuts. "Nissan requests that you contact your nearest Nissan dealer who will check your wheel nut tension and fit 12 wheel nut position indicatorsfree of charge. It is important to regularly check your indicators to identify in variance in direction".

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,674 Posts
Pah, thats just passing the buck, wheel nut indicators just mean you need to look at them to ensure they are still on ok. You could do the same thing by just going around our car once a month and actually tighten them.

·
The Bear
nissan
2,413 Posts
I take it this is for alloy rims only......, be interesting to see the recall notice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Very interesting video. I had the left rear wheel come loose on mythen new 2003 GU (16 inch alloy) It destroyed three studs and elongated the holes in the wheel. It cost me some $200 for repairs to the hub and a further $150 for repairs to the alloy wheel. Nissan said it was not covered by warranty. Best advice I had was to use a torque wrench and also to check the nuts after travelling 20-30KM.

I can't clearly see how the indicators work. I guess I will just wait and see if I get a free kit. After all I just paid $1100 for the 160K service!

Now I wonder what might happen about the ZD30 motor. Perhaps there is a video and a free replacement in the mail?

Kingo

·
Registered
468 Posts
Honestly folks,
If people are either too ignorant, too stupid, too useless, or just plain too lazy to physically check their wheel nut tension (with either a wheel brace or a torque wrench) on a regular basis, and ESPECIALLY a few km after any wheels have been removed & re-fitted,

then do you really think they will be bothered to look at these "wheel nut indicator" thingys (at least after the "novelty" has worn off) ???

I don't need no stoopid "wheel nut indicator" thingys to tell me if my wheel nuts are correctly torqued, and IF I get one of these stoopid recall notices from Nissan, it will be ignored.....

YMMV

:) ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I wonder how many people are going to be stuck in the bush with a flat because they have lost or can’t find the indicator removal tool. A simple fix would have been left hand threaded studs on the LH side like Isuzu’ Canters and the old Valliant’s. Next they will put a boast gauge on 3LT so it’s the drivers fault when it blows.

·
Registered
nissan
8,978 Posts
A simple fix would have been left hand threaded studs on the LH side like Isuzu’ Canters and the old Valliant’s.
Doesnt matter what hand the thread is as long as the conditions of self locking are met, Ie get a bloody torque wrench and dont be apethetic to physics.

Next they will put a boast gauge on 3LT so it’s the drivers fault when it blows.
ZDs dont blow because of boost pressure and the ECUs in the GUIVs onwards actively monitored boost pressure. All ZD30 ECUs have a boost limit anyway.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Doesn’t matter what hand the thread is as long as the conditions of self locking are met, I.e. get a bloody torque wrench and don’t be
apathetic to physics.

I don’t have an issue with using a torque wrenches an all. But torque wrenches have a lot factors to consider as in dry or lubricated, the two metals binding as in the rim tapper being rough or pitted. From what I have read on this forum and others all the wheels that have come off have been on the left hand side so changing the thread to an L/H thread on that side would be a more reliably fix and doesn’t have as much human error factor in it and more fool proof.

·
Registered
nissan
688 Posts
Is it actually possibly yo but an alloy wheel on the Patrol off centre? According to that video the technique checks that the wheel goes on central, BUT only if you do it that way. Should I be checking mine?

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts

These are my wheels, would those indicators fit in there?

Also after reading several topics on here i went out and picked up a heavy duty torque wrench, i have lost wheel nuts but not A WHEEL yet, thank heavens. It sounds bloody costly. Im guessing being a 98 GU i'll have to pay for the indicators, any idea on the cost?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Freebie

Every GU (well at least every GU that left the factory with alloys) is covered. Contact your dealer if you have no got a letter.
Not sure what happens with aftermarket wheels though. If they don't fit (depends if the nuts are orginal I suppose) then too bad I guess.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts