Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fella's.
Having some trouble searching for past threads on replacment motors that fit the GU.
Sure (from memory) a chev 8 fits the troll. Am I remembering this correctly ?
Also, a Chev 8 would be unleaded, anything else fit thats diesel ?

I have a 3ltr diesel manual and application is for pulling.
Just curious.

Thanks.

·
Banned
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Micky.
2.3t Jayco Heritage.
Not utterly unhappy with the pulling capacity of my ZD30 but you have to have an itch up the back of your brain about it. Running a little rough after my latest Perth / Brissy / Mel via Cowra run. Nothin my upcomming service won't fix but interested in upgrading for the peace of mind. If I replace the ZD 30 with a TD42 does this esentialy make my 3 a 4.2 ? I guess so. What kind of dollars you reckon the conversion would come in at? Thanks mate. Appreciated.

·
Registered
nissan
2,029 Posts
Ill sell you a motor complete from intercooler, radiator, motor, box Transfer plus tail shafts for $12500, it makes about 200hp (on 37's) so you wont even have to change down up hill

·
Chev 6.5 litre V8: no substitute for cubic inches
nissan patrol
2,633 Posts
Hey fella's.
Having some trouble searching for past threads on replacment motors that fit the GU.
Sure (from memory) a chev 8 fits the troll. Am I remembering this correctly ?
Also, a Chev 8 would be unleaded, anything else fit thats diesel ?

I have a 3ltr diesel manual and application is for pulling.
Just curious.

Thanks.
Judging by your last paragraph, you may not be aware of the Chev 6.5 V8 DIESEL motor that a few of us "poor buggars" have in our beasts..... They are a motor that some people love to hang chit on....but I don't believe ANY of those people have ever actually OWNED a Chev Diesel....hahaha

Another option is the toyota 1hzfte (a 4.2TDi from a 100 series cruiser). If you google "Project TONI", you will find out a bit more about it.

·
Banned
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you Roachie, appreciate your time. Will check out Project Toni now.
Thanks Mick, I have exactly.....one second.....$6.50. maybe we can work something out? lol.

Cheers.

Rhys.

·
Banned
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Followed Rochies advice and Googled Project Toni and found this. Decided it was worth attatching to this thread.
Taken from Explor Oz.
Project TONI @ ExplorOz Blogs
Follow the link for the full artical.

Project TONI (by Colin Pryor)

********BREAKING NEWS********
20/12/2009
Brother of TONI is born.
A Gentleman in Victoria has opted to do this conversion to his Patrol before the event.

His motive was that he loves his Patrol but needs to tow heavy loads. He read this blog and made this decision over the Chevy option.

His comments to me were that he now has a car that is a pleasure to drive and enough power for almost everything he will likely do.

Another VERY happy customer no doubt.

This exlusive club is now growing.

The reason: My Nissan ZD30 3ltr Patrol had a mechanical mishap on the way to Capertee Valley on the 16th May 2008, for the NSW & ACT 4WD association 2nd ¼ meeting hosted by my club, the “RareBreed 4WD & Outdoor Recreation Club”. After spending nearly all day getting the car back to my mechanic at Seven Hills and getting my son in law (Boldjack) to take my camper trailer home, the diagnosis was NOT good, it seems it has damaged a piston or two, this is a fault in some ZD30 Nissan's that Nissan knows nothing about!!!! despite countless Nissan ZD30 diesel engines suffering a similar fate to mine. It’s caused by a phenomenon known as “over-boost of the turbo” this in turn raises piston temperature to the point of melt down of the piston crown.
To repair/rebuild the ZD30 motor would cost $19000 or more (fuel pump $2500, long motor $9500, 4 injectors @600ea = $2400, installation and labour $1800-$2000, Turbo $2500+ other misc = $19000+) at the end of the day it will still be the same ZD30 motor that I have lost confidence in.
The remedy:
What to do????? I checked a myriad of options. These options were:
1 Sell the car, a car w/o engine is next to worthless (maybe $8000 or so), then I still have to buy another, that could cost $30000-40000 for a second hand unit. Not forgetting that my car is set up for outback touring and is fitted with all the necessary items as such, value to replace approx $3500-4000. not an option,
2 ZD 30 Rebuild, Not that motor again. Poor track record. $19000 plus, to rebuild that motor and no guarantee it won’t happen again.
3 4.2ltr Nissan Diesel, converted to automatic, motor is good, however the conversion is un-tested. $10500 to buy a motor only.
4 V8 6.5ltr diesel Chevy retro fit, older motor reconditioned, poor parts availability. $13000 to buy a motor only.
5 4.8ltr Nissan Petrol, good motor and perfect for auto trans. very thirsty. $10500 to buy a motor only.
6 Toyota 1HD-FTE 4.2Turbo Diesel with 5sd automatic transmission, super reliable, powerful, economical and excellent parts availability everywhere, cheap to buy from second hand source $11600.00, including gearbox and transfer case, ECU & harness with just 25000km on the clock.

Items 3-6 do not include installation of engines etc.

While the Chevy V8 option seemed attractive at first, it is still an older motor “reconditioned”, whatever that means, compared to the low mileage Toyota engine and Auto Transmission (25000Km) I have now purchased.

So it seemed to me that the best option is the Toyota combination. So having committed to putting the 1HD-FTE turbo diesel engine, computer & auto transmission with 4WD transfer case, into my (ex ZD30) Patrol I feel I will have the best of both worlds, as I see it there is little disputing that the 100TD Toyota motor is among the best around, and there is little disputing that the GU Patrol is one of the toughest trucks around, so this combination, when finished, will be one tough truck in anybody's language.

The purists on both sides are shuddering as I speak, but few will deny the toughness of this combination. I will have overcapitalised on the vehicle now, but I reckon that in ten or so year’s time when I have finished with this vehicle, the bastardization will be an advantage in the resale, but by then who cares anyway, the car will be 14-15 years old, and still going strong.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Total care 4WD at Seven Hills NSW Does that convertion putting the 1HD-FTE turbo diesel engine, computer & auto transmission with 4WD transfer case into GU's. I saw one at the Eastern Creek 4wd show it looked a tight fit but very well done. I ask how much he said $25000.00 I think. He also fits the ATOC spring kits as well. Ask for Jason on 029839779 .Hope this helps Home

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,691 Posts
The issue with ANY conversion is
COST

These topics have been threw the ringing for years on here

Whats the best engine conversion mite not be the best for the hip pocket
Hence why many have patched up their old car sold it and bought something else

A local who was here last week or so had a GU ex ZD30 with a chev V8 conversion done
Paid a pritty packet for the car (all done prior)
And prefers the pulling power his 6cyl turbo diesel F truck has ???
(his words not mine)

Before shelling out big $$$ , see if theres people on here local to you that would let you drive a patrol with an engine conversion done to see what would suit you

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
I'll second that Benno. They go extremely well for a 4.2.

Off topic, I think from memory the guy/mechanic at Birdsville has got one and recovers vehicles all the time with it. He thinks its better than the 7.3lt.....Though I highly doubt it.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,691 Posts
The sky and the wallet is the limit
Do a bitta searching on here many are goin and gone the 5.0L injected /5.7L injected
Some have cost heaps and some have been done by the owners and done fair well priced

Again go down the bank ,touch ya toes
See what the bank manager reckons your efforts are worth
Then go from there

·
Banned
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any decent engine conversion if not doing yourself is going to be in this price range or more, what were you expecting?
Didn't know Patrol. Hence asking at the start of the thread but guess I was thinking maybe eight grand. Had no idea it was that high. Deal me out.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Shilo said:
...but guess I was thinking maybe eight grand. Had no idea it was that high. Deal me out.
$8000? Everyone would have it done!

Start here - a listing of a conversion from Brunswick on a grenade.
http://www.brunswickdiesels.com.au/new/conversion.php

The reconditioned engine alone was $12,000 few yrs back. You maybe able to import one from USA on your own with the $ being so strong at moment for 1/2 that... Not sure on emission laws, has to be newer or same yr as your car?? something like that?

The complete conversion Chev 6.5 (not 6.2) was $23k when I priced it 5+ yrs ago from an 'agent' in Warrigul.

Duramax
Chev V8 D
Toni etc...
They will all be the same rough price drive in/drive out.

Have a look here at the prices - Brunswick Diesels Much easier to sell yours and buy one already done.

or look at a Factory Cruiser V8.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Conversion Pricing

Nissan 3.0ltr Quote Sheet

1. New component 6.5ltr Diesel Engine $12,750.00
2. Fully Rebuilt 6.5ltr Diesel Engine $10,250.00

Bell Housing Adaptor Kit $1,190.00
Machined and Balance Fly Wheel $400.00
Mount Brackets $250.00
Engine Oil Cooler Kit $320.00