Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I'm totally new to this forum.. just signed up to share my experience of owning a nissan patrol.
So the story is that i bought a 2003 nissan patrol (tb48 swapped) last year .. the car was in almost perfect condition and served me well in the past 12 months .. But recently I started to lean toward the newer models look .. had an idea to sell mine and buy a new one, but after awhile i started to convince myself with the crazy idea of going for the conversion (since I don't want to deal with the hassle of selling/buying.. Plus: I was happy with my car's condition and didn't want to end up with a bad car)

So first is first. here is what my nissan patrol looked like (before the conversion):

So the car goes to the workshop for the conversion + a new black painting (I changed my mind at some point and decided to go with gray flares and bumpers)

Here we go:
bought a new pair of front fenders + a vented hood + new front end frame
--Front fender fitment + taillight fitment (had to cut/weld a part of the frame to fit the taillights):

-- old paint removal + new front end frame installation (welded):

-- Black painting the car (first layer of paint) + fitment of rear flares:

here's what it looked like (after painting) with black headlights + taillights (super safari) + smoke-chrome grille:

At this point, I decided to change the color of the fenders+bumpers, they looked more silver than gray ... I wanted them to be a bit darker ... so flares and bumpers were repainted once again.
this is how it looked like after re-painting and the spare-tire cover is on (with all the emblems and badges):

At this point, the exterior conversion is concluded. The work on the car was pretty satisfying. Some fitment issues are still there, But i can say they're slim to none. (the hook hole was deleted afterwards)
Next, I bought 20 inches Rays rims with new tires:

So, I can say I was pretty satisfied with the way the car looked. My plan is not to stop there. the side body stickers are to be installed (super-safari red stickers) + lowering kit

Wondering what was the cost of the conversion?? I didn't forget to mention that. here's a list with all the pats i bought for the conversion:

front fenders (new/oem): 272 USD
vented hood (used/oem): 190 USD
front bumper (new/copy): 51 USD
rear bumper (new/copy): 54 USD
black super-safari headlight (new/copy): 98 USD
black super-safari taillights (new/copy): 68 USD
trunk door panel (new/oem) : 190 USD
smoke-chrome grille (new/copy): 95 USD
4 flares front+rear (new/copy): 204 USD
spoiler kit (new/copy): 95 USD
front+back bumper frames + front end frame (new/oem): 422 USD
wipers' frame (new/oem): 54 USD
windshield+windows rubber seals (new/oem): 374 USD
mud flaps (new/oem): 185 USD
side steps (new/oem): 408 USD

parts total cost: ~ 2730 USD
workshop (conversion+painting) cost: 1635 USD
So, Exterior Conversion cost: ~ 4365 USD

I bought a NISMO front bumper. here's a teaser picture (sent to me since I had no time to pass by the workshop to see it myself):

the NISMO bumper costed me 190 USD + painting 135 USD = 325 USD

The car is now at the workshop for interior conversion. will keep you guys updated when it's done.
I may not be available in the forum in a daily basis. So feel free to contact me thru my instagram account (@f16.uae)

++Wanted to post more photos with more of the work steps, but there's a limit, sorry if it's not that detailed++

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,266 Posts
Loos really good and like @geeyoutoo I love a shorty. I wish I could get my hands on one.

But... For the life of me I cannot comprehend why someone living in the UAE would want a black car. It must be hell getting in it if it's been parked outside for more than 5 mins. ;)

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,725 Posts
Loos really good and like @geeyoutoo I love a shorty. I wish I could get my hands on one.

But... For the life of me I cannot comprehend why someone living in the UAE would want a black car. It must be hell getting in it if it's been parked outside for more than 5 mins. ;)
I would almost sell my soul for a GU shorty, hang on, I would.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks great my friend, we love those GU shorties, extremely rare here.
Thanks for the comment. I like the funny way they turn (feels like mini Cooper or something) 😂

Thanks .. You're right, owning a black car is a pain in the *ss here, plus: It needs a wash every 15 minutes ... But think positively, I can use it as a griller during the summer season 😆😅

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,725 Posts
Never driven a shorty but I can imagine it would feel different, not having the turning circle of the queen mary.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
There's been a few that have done this conversion but I haven't seen too many, if any, done this neatly. Let alone on a shorty. Any plans to do the inside too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's been a few that have done this conversion but I haven't seen too many, if any, done this neatly. Let alone on a shorty. Any plans to do the inside too.
Before the conversion:

after the conversion:

Interior conversion still in progress.
Here’s the cost list for the interior:

- interior parts (dashboard+steering wheel+seats+door panels) (used/oem): 950 USD

- Gauge panel + gauge frame (used/oem) 150 USD

- AC switches panel (used/oem): 70 USD
-AC Evaporator (used/oem): 100 USD

surprisingly, the dashboard harness is same. So, i used my old harness.

interior parts total: 1270 USD

Installation is still in progress, so I can’t provide the labor cost yet. Plus: i decided to not buy any interior part for the rear half of the car (only front parts were changed), so i will need to paint the rear panels.

Will keep u guys updated

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice work dude, im planning the same(dash board) . How about fitings, screw locations,are they the same as old meaning is just removing old and installing new and screw it or you need modification?

·
Registered
nissan
236 Posts
Awesome work mate....keep us posted with your progress.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi guys ... sorry for the late catch up here

I really didn’t have the time to post .. and there wasn’t much of an update to start with

just want to show you guys some final looks of the patrol

again guys feel free to contact me thru insta @f16.uae when i’m away

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m already planning for modifying the TB48 for a extra HP and Torque.

Bought some parts already for a turbo build

• Garrett Gtw3884r (67 mm)
  • Tail V60 wastegate
  • Stainless steel t4 turbo manifold
  • Hybridflow black coated pipes
  • 3” intercooler
  • JE 1.6mm Gasket
  • JE 100mm bore pistons
  • HPS connecting rods
  • AEM in-tank fuel pump

So, I’m chasing 500-600 hp with a responsive setup, hence the small sized turbo.
I will still need some time to complete the planned parts (clutch, ecu, head setup, oil pump, fuel pressure regulator ... etc )

I’m still in “collecting parts” phase, so there’s no actual work done to the shorty yet.

Will keep u guys updated

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
out of nowhere, midway thru my way to complete my turbo setup parts. I came across a shorty GU that has a modified ~500hp rb25 “listed for sale”

since I’m a big RB fan, i couldn’t resist asking the guy if he’s interested in exchanging engines. Surprisingly, he’s totally down (He asked for 4000USD + exchange) which seems a reasonable price.

note that I bought the above listed turbo parts for around 4000USD, so I can sell the turbo parts and cover the amount that I’m paying the guy.

So i’m getting a 500hp rb25 (my hp goal and my fav engine) without paying any extra than what i’ve already paid (I’m neglecting the engine installation cost here)

To give you guys some info, his GU is tb45 based (so he went thru the hassle of engine mounts, tran mounts, and all the swap related headache) so, i will get a ready swap in all aspects. All my friends aren’t advising me to go for it (cuz they know lil to nothing about RB engines)

Want your advises guys, I see it as the ultimate option (for cost, uniqueness, saving headache, fun)

Just a final note, RB engines aren’t famous in my country, so their parts are ridiculously cheap here. Believe
it or not, rb26 engines are around 1000USD here. So that’s an extra point to go for this swap. Plus, i can go for rb26/30 in the future for a more aggressive setup.

here’s a photo of the swap:

·
Registered
nissan g160
277 Posts
out of nowhere, midway thru my way to complete my turbo setup parts. I came across a shorty GU that has a modified ~500hp rb25 “listed for sale”

since I’m a big RB fan, i couldn’t resist asking the guy if he’s interested in exchanging engines. Surprisingly, he’s totally down (He asked for 4000USD + exchange) which seems a reasonable price.

note that I bought the above listed turbo parts for around 4000USD, so I can sell the turbo parts and cover the amount that I’m paying the guy.

So i’m getting a 500hp rb25 (my hp goal and my fav engine) without paying any extra than what i’ve already paid (I’m neglecting the engine installation cost here)

To give you guys some info, his GU is tb45 based (so he went thru the hassle of engine mounts, tran mounts, and all the swap related headache) so, i will get a ready swap in all aspects. All my friends aren’t advising me to go for it (cuz they know lil to nothing about RB engines)

Want your advises guys, I see it as the ultimate option (for cost, uniqueness, saving headache, fun)

Just a final note, RB engines aren’t famous in my country, so their parts are ridiculously cheap here. Believe
it or not, rb26 engines are around 1000USD here. So that’s an extra point to go for this swap. Plus, i can go for rb26/30 in the future for a more aggressive setup.

here’s a photo of the swap:
View attachment 521812
I liked this build before but I suddenly like it a whole lot more hahah! Go the RB!
Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The guy mentioned that he has an RB30 block and he’s willing to give it away (for free). Plus: the car is registered with the RB25, so I won’t worry about that as well.

it gets better every day :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I liked this build before but I suddenly like it a whole lot more hahah! Go the RB!
Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do :)

Thanks ... I’m excited to go in any of the two options (leaning toward the RB abit tho) .. will test drive the RB swapped shorty in couple of days and will decide from there

the only concern is the actual swap kit (not the engine, not the turbo kit), as I mentioned before, rb parts are cheap and shouldn’t be a concern (I’m still inspecting the engine for sure :ROFLMAO:). The engine mounts and the whole swap setup is my focus.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Shame you had me till post # 11.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My guess is that bodykit! :ROFLMAO:
Which I also love, by the way! :)

btw, it has the stock front bumper right now, will install it back once the turbo setup is on
this pic shows the shorty's look at the moment:

Idk about u guys, but going back from that NISMO bumper to the stock bumper makes the patrol looks imperfect somehow. I'm not saying it looks ugly or something, but it's like downgrading the look.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts