Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan navara
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys have a 2009 CRD Ute, I was changing a tyre the other day and with one wheel in the air I started it up and put it in first to drive forward to see if the LSD was working, it appears not. It hasd only 26k on the clock.

How can I tell if the LSD is working and if I decide to replace the rear what should I put in. I have a Lokka in the front and was told they didn't make them for the rear.

Was always told the Nissan LSD's were the best, but it appears not

·
Registered
nissan gu
1,195 Posts
Never seen a GU limmy that dosn't work!

·
Registered
nissan
253 Posts
Try going around a tight corner on concrete, you should hear the rear tyres screwing a bit on the concrete, like they are fighting each other. That means the diff is working.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Also look for a sticker on the diff that states using LSD only oil. Its a reasonably new truck, should be there IF it has an LSD.

Give your VIN number to a Nissan dealer, he will tell you if you have an LSD aswell.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Guys have a 2009 CRD Ute, I was changing a tyre the other day and with one wheel in the air I started it up and put it in first to drive forward to see if the LSD was working, it appears not. It hasd only 26k on the clock.

How can I tell if the LSD is working and if I decide to replace the rear what should I put in. I have a Lokka in the front and was told they didn't make them for the rear.

Was always told the Nissan LSD's were the best, but it appears not
With only one wheel on the ground it will probably spin the one in the air as it is a limited slip not a locker and i think the breakaway torque is around 70-90 ft/lb

Regards Don

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Jack the whole rear off the ground, spin one wheel forwards the other should be spinning the same way.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
It will have a limited slip diff fitted but as i said they are not a locker

If you jack up one rear wheel with the transmission in neutral and try & turn the wheel by hand it shouldn't turn unless you can apply enough force to overcome the preload in diff clutch pack which is 70-90 ft/lbs

Patrols have two different types of limited slip and i think the later ones are the less effective of the two types

Regards Don

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
With only one wheel on the ground it will probably spin the one in the air as it is a limited slip not a locker and i think the breakaway torque is around 70-90 ft/lb

Regards Don[/QUOTE

x2

With one wheel of the ground, you should feel the breakaway torque when you try to turn the lifted wheel.

As Don says it won't work with one wheel in the air. Both wheels need to have some contact to generate enough cross torque and tighten the diff clutch to limit slip. The reason the GU & GQ diffs are good limited slip diff is that when it generates the cross torque the internal gears shift on ramps and tighten the clutch even more. Or this is how i understand it anyway.

Grogey

·
Registered
Nissan
586 Posts

Regards Don[/QUOTE

x2

With one wheel of the ground, you should feel the breakaway torque when you try to turn the lifted wheel.

As Don says it won't work with one wheel in the air. Both wheels need to have some contact to generate enough cross torque and tighten the diff clutch to limit slip. The reason the GU & GQ diffs are good limited slip diff is that when it generates the cross torque the internal gears shift on ramps and tighten the clutch even more. Or this is how i understand it anyway.

Grogey
I understand that they are made up from a metallic material in comparison to Toyota ones which are made up from a clutch material and hence last a much shorter time. Not sure if that has anything to do with its effectiveness though. Mitsubishi and Isuzus are made up of a similar material to the Nissans and they also have very effective lsds

·
Registered
387 Posts
Easiest way to check your LSD - pull off onto a gravel verge with 1 rear wheel on gravel and 1 on tar. Take off at full noise, wheel on gravel will initially spin, then:
- Wheel on tar spins too - LSD is good.
- One on gravel keeps spinning and you take off slowly- the one on tar is obviously getting no drive, so the LSD is shot.
- Wheel on gravel stops spinning almost straight away and you accelerate as hard as you would on tar - the LSD is working and you're probably driving a N/A 4.2!!!

As already stated, the LSD needs some torque on the spinning wheel to work, so when jacking one up, I'd expect it to turn.

·
Registered
nissan
777 Posts
Easiest way to check your LSD - pull off onto a gravel verge with 1 rear wheel on gravel and 1 on tar. Take off at full noise, wheel on gravel will initially spin, then:
- One on gravel keeps spinning and you take off slowly- the one on tar is obviously getting no drive, so the LSD is shot.
- Wheel on gravel stops spinning almost straight away and you accelerate as hard as you would on tar - the LSD is working and you're probably driving a N/A 4.2!!!

As already stated, the LSD needs some torque on the spinning wheel to work, so when jacking one up, I'd expect it to turn.
I did something similar the other day except it was gravel and soft sand. I thought, If the lsd is working I should get enough traction from the gravel to push/pull me through the soft sand in 2wd which it did, after a few attempts and selecting 4L but without having the front hubs locked. lsd worked perfectly, spun both wheels at the same rate even with 1 having much more traction than the other

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts

Mine won't spin the whees on dry tarmac... And it's the CRD.

Times like that ya want the 4.8!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
sorry im lost, i thought with an lsd you have a main drive wheel, if that wheel looses traction the other one will too. and the point of a locker is to stop this to have drive to both wheels. could be wrong but thats what i thought

·
Registered
nissan
235 Posts
sorry im lost, i thought with an lsd you have a main drive wheel, if that wheel looses traction the other one will too.
As I understand it with an LSD power from the drive shaft is delivered to both wheels. If one wheel starts slipping most of the power (maybe 90%) will be diverted to the slipping wheel but some (maybe 10%) will go to the wheel that isn't slipping which hopefully will be enough to get you through the chit.

An open diff would be the same as an LSD but if a wheel spins 100% of the power from the drive shaft goes to the spinning wheel.

A locker just locks the wheels together so no matter what happens both wheels will get 50% of the power from the drive shaft and they will turn at the same speed.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I understand that they are made up from a metallic material in comparison to Toyota ones which are made up from a clutch material and hence last a much shorter time. Not sure if that has anything to do with its effectiveness though. Mitsubishi and Isuzus are made up of a similar material to the Nissans and they also have very effective lsds

Hi Lawerence,

As far as i have know in GQ and GU rear diffs the face of the clutch plates have grooves for oil which the Toyota doesn't. The oil reduces wear on the face.
Plus as the Nissan internal gears can shift up ramps and force the clutch faces tighter they slip less and wear less even with the better oil coverage. The toyota relies totally on initial preload and can't resist slip above that.

Also because the Nissan limited slip diffs don't rely solely on initial preload to transfer torque across to the none spinning wheel it can transfer alot more torque.

Any cog gurus back this up.

Grogey

·
Registered
387 Posts
Mine won't spin the whees on dry tarmac... And it's the CRD.

Times like that ya want the 4.8!
Neither will my TD42T, but it will when only one wheel is on the dry tar and the other is on loose gravel - probably only about 60-70% of the amount of traction to break as there is with both wheels on tar!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts