Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I have had a number of people say that the removal of sway bars improves off-road ability, I was wondering if there are any major issues once the sway bars are removed. I’m guessing the body roll would increase when they are removed? :cool:

Cheers.
Ben

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Try it and go for a drive.. only takes 10 mins to remove.. do 1 at a time.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,874 Posts
Good for off road, but fux the onroad handling and safety. As Truckster said, only takes a minute to remove, so only do it when heading off road. Then put them back in...

·
Registered
nissan
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good for off road, but fux the onroad handling and safety. As Truckster said, only takes a minute to remove, so only do it when heading off road. Then put them back in...
Fair enough, ill give it a try. :D Thanks for your advice guys. I guess thats why sway bar disconnects are good!

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,091 Posts
Yeah, i tried taking off both, ended up putting the rear back on to stop that little to extra body roll and leave the front off, seems to work well.

·
Registered
nissan
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, i tried taking off both, ended up putting the rear back on to stop that little to extra body roll and leave the front off, seems to work well.
That sounds like a good idea, ill try that. :wink:
Thanks.

Hiya Ben,

You might get a few differing opinions on that as well ;)

Depends if you are into crawling around under your truck after a day in the Mud trying to get them to reset :D
LOL. nah not a fan of getting muddy, might just try removing the front and see how we go. Got a trip next weekend, which will be rutted out like anything, might come in handy with the front sway bar off. :cool:

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,091 Posts
Hiya Ben,

You might get a few differing opinions on that as well ;)

Depends if you are into crawling around under your truck after a day in the Mud trying to get them to reset :D

I'll have to agree, there one of those things you buy cause the concept sounds good,
ive had mine on for two years now and have never disconnected them,
just cant seem to phsyc myself up enough to crawll under the car to disconnect them and vice versa.
The arce seems to flex up enough with out worrying about it, for me anyway.

Accually i lied i did disconnect them once, to put silicone in the joins to stop them bloody rattling.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
Removed both mine soon as I got the truck home. Has a substantial lift but is still stable without them.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,874 Posts
Just be aware that if you smash it, insurance can walk.

·
Registered
nissan
517 Posts
I have tried removing the rear only on my GU and found it boat like on the road. Might try removing the front only and compare. The Front sway bar decreases clearance as the sway bar hangs down past the beam axle. Front flexes the least so will probably benefit the most.

I reckon it has a lot to do with how stiff your suspension is to start with. My previous GQ patrol had very HD suspension, removing the sway bars did not do a whole lot to effect the ride.

·
Registered
nissan
1,113 Posts
Fair bit more travel on mine with sway bars removed (discovered when changing springs)

I kept my swaybars as i drive my GU everyday, i do go off road a fair bit, but as i always travel "on" the road to where im going, i figure id like to keep my rig as safe on the road as it can be, with swaybars fitted for everyones sake.;)

I also have a 2" lift and a roof basket, fully loaded the car retains good road manners and does not feel like its about to roll over on sharp corners etc. :D (have not tryed without swaybars tho)

I think in a unlucky situation you have to swerve to avoid something, may be the time the swaybars will be much appreciated

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,874 Posts
Yeah, my mate has a seriously lifted GQ and he's put his back on.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
i run my GU IV with a 3 inch lift with a sway bar on the back and nothing on the front and love it. It is a daily driver i i have not missed the front sway bar at all. The rear does a good job and is twice the size of the sway bars on the GQ i have. I have no noticeable increase in body roll and you should see the flex i get out of the front off road now with the back all tied up with the sway bar.

I run 3" OME with Drop boxes and no sway bar and love it.

On the GQ i have a 5 inch lift and run without a sway bar on the back and disconnects on the front....damn scary to drive on the bitumen fast with the sway bar disconnected on the front.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,455 Posts
My rear sway bar disconnected itself (on left side) during a recent Glasshouse Mountains drive and the on-road behaviour has definitely suffered - not as precise as it was with noticable roll and understeer.

Suspension is OME (roughly 2" lift although they call it their medium duty kit) with 33" STTs, otherwise stock. I will be replacing the broken connector in the next few days.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
Horses for courses. I have never run sway bars in 6 years of owning my truck. Completely depends on what spring rates and what shocks you are using.

Mine is used as a daily driver. Although whoever said that car crash ==> insurance my walk is spot on. Mut then again running any unengineered suspension you run that risk regardless.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts