Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, i need to ask the TD42 gurus, long story short, she went for a lie down on its roof, engine was cut with an isolator so it was only running for 1-2 seconds upside down, flipped it back over, pulled the glow plugs, turned it over to get all the oil out of the cylinders, put the plugs back in, filled it with oil and it fired up with a bit of smoke as to be expected, the oil light did not turn off, so i unscrewed the sensor and cranked it over again, no oil coming out of the sensor hole, the back filter had oil in it, the front filter did not, so i primed the filter and screwed it back on, still no pressure, I'm at a loss here guys, if anyone has any idea why I've got no oil pressure it would be greatly appreciated.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,501 Posts
Did you check your dipstick?

Reactions: grumpyone

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,124 Posts
It sounds like the oil pump needs priming. This is a PITA. You need to pull the front timing cover (along with all the other stuff to get to it), wind the engine by hand until the timing marks line up, remove the drive gear from the camshaft and then remove the oil pump from the block. Fill the oil pump with grease or Vaseline and reinstall it along with everything else paying attention to the timing marks.

Alternatively you can force about a litre of oil in through the oil pressure sensor hole. If you have the gear to do this it is by far the easiest way.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,264 Posts
I had a similar issue once, after the vehicle sat with the sump off for a while as I did some repairs. After trying everything thing I could think of, I eventually found that the oil pickup had no gasket where it bolted to the block. I made a gasket, put it back together and it got pressure quickly.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Everytime I've put mine back together I've just filled each side of the oil pick up gasket with vasoline cleaned off, gasket on and always have got oil up to the turbo fairly guick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts