Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this beast about 5 months ago, slowly coming together.

I will be putting a TD42 in it soon, along with a manual to replace the 4.5/auto.

Picked it up off ebay for an absolute steal, in stock standard condition, 400k on the clock and 6 months reg.

I fitted the suspension out of my GQ ute, 3inch springs/4inch shocks, drop boxes, single superflex arm, adjustable pan hards and extended brake lines.
Also modded a non winch bar to fit the winch, fabbed up a stainless snorkel (harder than the GQ ones I've made previously!) and fitted 315 pro comps/36'' Simexs depending on how wet it is ;)

Having some fun up near Mt Terrible!

Mt Donna Buang

It also had the factory rear locker which wasn't working, so I removed it and put a shimmed 4.11 LSD in the back (stock was 3.9) and an auto locker in the front. Still not too sure about the auto locker.
The TD conversion is next, can't wait to have some decent power and km range for touring! Not to mention a manual box!
:cool:

Any tips/tricks/suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
nissan
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The single arm fits straight in, you only need one side to allow the diff to move and flex on the bushes. The newer style with a better mount/bush and built in drop boxes is obviously better, but for the price I paid for 1 used arm I can't go wrong!

I should have also mentioned I have a td05 18g turbo to go on and wake the TD up a bit! I'll also get an injector pump built at some stage too. I'd like to see around 150-170rwkw.

·
Registered
nissan
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Going well mate I'll post up some pics in the next few days, it's all up and running again with the td42 fitted... needs a bit of tweaking but it'll get there ?

·
Registered
nissan
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the Procomps are really good, haven't used them offroad too much yet but they're nice and quiet for a MT on road.

So I ended up buying a Maverick for the driveline, one popped up and because I'm impatient I had to have it!
It was pretty rusty, basically stripped it and sold anything I didn't need, kept the engine/gearbox, manual conversion parts and a few bits and pieces.

After that I got stuck into the GU, removed the engine + auto, gas system and fitted a standard main fuel tank in place of the gas tank.
Only hard part was 'modding' the tunnel to fit the GQ gearbox. The shifter sits further forward so a section was cut out to clear, also extended the shifter about 60mm. I've made a cover for it now and with a normal manual gear surround you would never know.

TD going in.. note the little shed with its low roof and door.. just to make my life harder! haha.

This pic shows how much you need to cut, its more than I thought! Not an easy box to lift in and out either. (yes I tidied it up after this!)

In and running, lots to do but its drivable for now and it sounds tuff! I made a 3" Straight through exhaust too.. might need a muffler?

Next up I'll be fitting a front mount cooler and buying a better exhaust manifold because the china one I have now has the turbo sitting too far back which resulted in me making a terrible 2.5inch dump pipe.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
200 Posts
How hard was the wiring to sort? And from taking the tb45 out how long did it take until the td42 was in and running? Did you use your tb45 wiring harness and get rid of the ecu cheers doing mine this week.

·
Registered
nissan
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It took me a week or 2, but I was just working on it at night/after hours. Having a 7 month old baby doesn't help with free time either! Plus having to fit a fuel tank takes extra time, as well as fitting the GQ box. With a mate to help I think it could be done over a weekend.

I chopped up the TB engine wiring, removed excess and kept the starter, alternator (needs to be extended) and temp gauge wires. I also wired up a relay with a button in the car for the glow plugs.
I'm not sure if the ECU is doing anything now, when I have time I'll remove the other wiring in the car and the ecu if its not needed.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
200 Posts
Sounds easy enough mate cheers for that I'm keen to start mine just need to find a mate who is willing to help in this heat and an engine crane lol.

Yeah having two boys under 2 myself it sure makes it harder.

·
Registered
nissan
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So my bad luck with TD's continues haha.. turns out this engine has had a hard life, it developed a miss after a hard day out bush, checked comp and it was down in 2 cylinders.
I decided to rip it back out and see what was going on as it was also doing some strange things with the cooling system... not getting hot but the radiator was always down and it wasn't leaking anywhere.. with a new rad and cap.
Got it apart last night and sure enough slight marks on 2 cylinders, head gasket looks like its been through WW1 too. Pre comb chambers are all cracked (pretty normal?) but the head seems ok?

The plan now is a set of rings, replace the marked pistons (I have some good used genuine pistons) bearings, hone the cylinders and fit the new head I have from my other TD.
Also going to put a new extra HD Safari tuff clutch in as the clutch it has is average. Should have it running again this weekend, as long as my Radius fab turbo manifold turns up :)

·
Registered
nissan
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Been thrashing around it this for the last month or so. Engine is going well now (touch wood!)

Done a few small things here and there, fitted HD lower +10mm arms, have also added a small muffler and flex join to the exhaust system.. doesn't sound as tuff but its a lot better on long trips now.
Fitted FG XR seats in the front, drivers is a little high, not sure if I'll try to lower it or just get used to it? Way more comfortable either way!
Put a front mount cooler on over the last week or so. Made up the stainless 3'/2.5" piping, used a slimmer GQ aircon fan and swapped the washer bottle for a different sized unit. EGT's are down roughly 40deg give or take and it seems to have picked up a bit more power too. Running about 15psi atm.
Next on the cards is a pump..

Also had it up at Loch Sport for a cruise around on some sand..

·
Registered
nissan
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Towed our little van out to SA for a week of exploring.. made it up to robe and had a play around on the beach. Good fun!
Patrol went pretty well... basically trouble free 1600km. Still haven't found this diesel torque everyone seems to rave on about haha... although it used about 17-18L/100km which is ok considering how its set up and how I drive.

Can't wait to crank some power out of it!

·
Registered
nissan
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I got a 12mm pump last week... what a difference!! So much more power... after having this I'd never stick with a 10mm pump!

Running 30psi and I've had to add a shim to keep the egt's under 750 pre turbo.. I'm not sure what power its making, wouldn't mind putting it on a dyno to check pump timing and get an idea of the power.
I might be at the limit of this turbo's efficiency... just would have thought 30psi should be ok but I guess I won't really know until I chuck it on a dyno.
Just did the same 500km trip to Loch Sport as I've done previously and it seems to have got the same if not a little better economy.. except this time I did the speed limit UP the hills lol.

·
Registered
nissan
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another week another mod lol.
Went out for a play in Wesburn.. copped a nice big dint in the rear 1/4 panel :( the GU is massive for tight tracks! Also broke the lower tail light out again! Time for a rear bar.

Also figured out it was only running about 25psi, upped it to 30ish and it runs a bit cooler again now. Yay! New boost gauge is on the list!
Averaged 15l/100 driving to work and general thrashing around which is awesome! Also had a few runs with my old 5.0L windsor powered Mav and surprisingly the diesel showed him who's boss!

Added a 30inch single row light bar to the front of it, series 3 tail lights (just gotta wire them up) and have have a few small things in the works too..

·
Registered
nissan
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll try to get it popped out.. the paint will be average but I can live with that for now.

I can see why people go dual cab now but I'm not sure that its for me! Probably add a heap of weight too once you add a decent tray etc. Depends how many times I dint it up haha.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts