Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you haven't been following my build thread, I am currently converting a 98 GU Ti 4.5L over to a 4.2 Turbo diesel but keeping the auto!

It has been a long process but I am int he home straight now.

I have installed a DC3 11mm pump and a 16G from UFI, I wanted the biggest IC possible, without going front mount. Personally I am not a fan of front mounts, but they may suit other people.

I looked into Cross Country and HPD, but since each of those kits are +$1500 I couldn't justify the expense.

So I ordered a v-mount intercooler off ebay for $309 delivered:
Intercooler V Mount 610 X 300 BAR Plate Inlet Outlet 63mm 2 5" V Mount | eBay

I then picked up 3x1m lengths of 30x3 EA and 2x1m lengths of dia20mm tube, total cost less than $50

I cut the EA down to 680mm, however if I was to do this again, I would make them 690 or even 700 long.

On 2 of the lengths I matched drilled to suit the mounts on the IC.
On the third one, I marked the centres on where the studs are on the firewall, then cut and flared the vertical section to suit the bumps on the firewall of the GU:

The dia20mm tubes where cut to 800ish long (can confirm if anyone wants the exact distance) and then using the largest impact socket if could find (50mm) I used the 20T press to kink the tubes.

Here is all is sitting loose for a trial assembly before welding:

Notice the use of a house brick to hold the IC up :)

After marking the location of the tubes relative to the EA, I pulled it off and welded it out. The ends of the tubes, I cut down the original mounts off a factory IC bracket, welded these to the tubes:

All welded out:

Here is a shot under the bonnet to give an idead of the clearance:

Now just need to cut a hole in my bonnet and mount the STI WRX scoop and the large pinchweld I have to seal between the bonnet and the IC.

Overall I am extremely happy with it for a few hours work and less than $400 in parts ($450 if you count the cost of th WRX scoop), plus saved over $1100 on buying a kit!!

Feel free to ask any questions, or I can take more phots/measurements if anyone needs.

Cheers,
Mytqik

·
Registered
Nissan
1,243 Posts
Great work. Can i ask why you didnt mount the intercooler to the engine?

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
Great work mate, that's almost exactly what I had in mind for mine. Been wactching that same intercooler for months. Definitely keen to hear how you rate it, ie quality of welds, number of fins, etc etc. Also keen to see your final mounting up with pipes/hose. Good work on the bracket too. I have a factory 2.8 intercooler bracket to butcher and use with mine.

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I like the look if the Colorado scoop, however I don't think they are high/aggressive enough for a GU. The GU's have a bump in the bonnet just near the front of where the scoop mounts and this deflects a lot of the air up & over the scoop. The ARE cooling website has a lot of info about this along with video of string tests. They also tested different height scoops. That is why I went for a high scoop with the top edge forward, not back like a factory scoop.

Originally I was going to mount it off the engine, cross country did this originally. I have read so many reports of cracked/broken mounts due to vibration, I chose to mount it similar to a factory mount. I see that cross country have now changed their mounts similar to the factory and HPD.

The cooler seems well made, welds are good quality, penetration etc. My only comment is to make sure you clean it out before using it. Mine had a small amount of swarf inside it, I just wiped the inside down with a rag soaked in Kero.

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
Here is a photo with the modified inlet manifold on and the 90d silicone hose:
Yeah nice mate, thanks for the info. How does the inlet side of the cooler line up with the turbo outlet?

I've actually got a spare inlet manifold in need of cutting and modifying, another one of my to do lists. How easy was it to do? Just find a local shop to do it?

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah nice mate, thanks for the info. How does the inlet side of the cooler line up with the turbo outlet?

I've actually got a spare inlet manifold in need of cutting and modifying, another one of my to do lists. How easy was it to do? Just find a local shop to do it?
I will take a phto tonight of the turbo to IC, hoping that I can do it with 1x 45d and a straight (touch wood)

If you have a look in my build thread, there are details in there of how I did the inlet. Basically I cure the top off the std manifold and welded on 2x EA ali angles to form the lid. I then welded in a 2.5" stub, then welded a lot more and die ginded it out to form the flair in.

I did it with an inverter MIG and a spool gun. I wouldn't recomend using a normal MIG gun, unless you can keep the leads super straight. The Ali wire is very soft and will birdsnest in an instant if your not careful.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,459 Posts
Will be building my intercooler bracket over next coupe of weeks I hope.
Was looking at using 25x25 x3 flat bar, utilising top radiator bolts and having 2-4 bolts on for wall.
I've got a v mount like above.
My concern is in case of a head on collision would this have risk of being too stiff??
Should I go something bit lighter??

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
Well done mate. Looks great.
As for the Colorado scoop??? I may dissagree with that theory about deflection. Though there is an issue for Cross country coolers as the front of the scoop covers a quarter of the cooler (cutting holes fixes that). But I actually ran a simple test to see how the air flows over the bonnet and into the scoop at speeds of up to 120km/hr. I taped about 50 lengths of string across the front of the bonnet and long enough to reach the scoop entry. I can tell you that the strings stuck to the bonnet like glue. Especially over the hump. That hump you talk about seemed to create a sucking effect and led the air right where it was supposed to.

I was suprised and certainly didnt expect such a result.
Food for thought anyway.

Keep up the great work ;)

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
And just to add..on the GU4 you can mount the Colorado scoop further forward as they don't have the bonnet bump and it fits like a glove.

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heavensent, the fire wall is double skinned at the top where the mount is, so unless you put a nutsert/rivnut into the firewall you won't be able to do up the bolts, that is why I used the factory studs. I think that the mount should be as strong as possible, I can't see how it would be an issue in an accident?

Zoltan, that is interesting feedback, so does that mean an aggressive scoop would force more air in? Either way if the WRX scoop doesn't work I can always fit the larger Colorado scoop!

·
Registered
nissan
572 Posts
How did the scoop go?

I'm about to embark on installing the same intercooler you have (been in the shed for more than a year now!)

Just tossing up between a fairline intercooler or something else (do have a factory hole in the bonnet tho)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,459 Posts
mytquik
yeah we used rivet nuts on one side and slipped other end between windscreen wiper motor mounting bolts.

Kuba
scopp wise if i had extra money i would go tgat way.
theres no lip to seal it to bonnet properly.
and very easy to bolt up too tight.

·
Registered
nissan
389 Posts
Very nice setup!

Almost identical to mine. I can vouch for the collorado scoop!! They perform great and look fantastic!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts