Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a transfer case from a 3l GU to be fitted into my GQ. My old GQ transfer case has a speed sensor, and a 4wd activation sensor in the casing. But the GU transfer has 3 sensors fitted in it. What is the third one for??? A low range dash light or similar?

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My guess was a bit off. Seeing as you lot gave me nothing, I had to figure it out for myself! God helps those who help themselves apparently. :rolleyes:

So a bit of googling and some testing has shown me that this T case has a switch to activate a "Neutral" switch. The switch is open, until the T case hits neutral and then it closes and you get a circuit.

The other switch is the 4wd activation switch, however it will not work in the GQ - both the GU & GQ switches are the same. The difference is in the T case. Both switches in the GU case give a circuit when it is in 2H. The GQ case gives a circuit when in 4H or 4L. Hmmmm……. :(

So I thought I would have no option but to run a relay in the wiring to switch it to the opposite of what it is designed to do, which sounded like no fun at all. But testing the switches showed that the neutral switch and 4wd switch are opposites - one is normally open and one is normally closed. The neutral switch has no purpose in the GQ, as there is no T case neutral light anyway. So I have fitted the neutral switch to the 4wd sensor spot, and Bob is your mum's brother - it now works the same as the GQ sensor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts